IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Had to get my nickel in on this one.
[link|http://www.aaxnet.com/news/B010903.html| Merger].
[link|http://www.aaxnet.com|AAx]
New Merger makes little sense
Both HP and Compaq are lacking in services, this merger doesn't help. The rest of their product lines are very similar, PC's, UNIX Servers, what exactly is the gain here? These are 2 very similar companies merging. The Register is right on with their analysis ([link|http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/7/21445.html|http://www.theregis...7/21445.html])
"Companies usually merge for one of two reasons. Either they're a pair of poorly placed underdogs who decide to pool their assets because of straightforward economic consolidation. Or they're a pair of complementary companies, with diverse customers and products, which decide they'd be stronger fighting together than separately.
HP's acquisition of Compaq is neither one nor the other,
HP is essentially buying red ink, and a whole heap of trouble."
New It makes sense for HP and Compaq management
and that seems to be all that matters these days. :-( It's hard to imagine the shareholders putting up enough of a fight to prevent the consumation.

What does Compaq have these days? They can't beat Dell on efficiency of production and distribution. They have server businesses based on processors that they've decided to kill (Alpha and MIPS). They've got a distribution channel based on resellers, so they can't build up their direct selling arm (though they tried several years ago). They can't make money selling a commodity product and don't have enough services business. Compaq's in big trouble.

HP has a name and a reputation for innovation. They're a powerhouse in printers. Their PC business is doing OK. They've got a strong relationship with Intel.

Compaq probably would be in a stronger position if it simply sold off its PC business to someone like Acer and concentrated on its enterprise business (especially services) and remained independent. HP seems desperate to grow larger to compete with IBM. This merger seems an awful lot like Compaq's purchase of DEC - HP's getting a weak player and it'll hurt them.

I think The Register writeup is compelling. It'll be interesting to see what happens. It's hard to imagine a bidding war developing for Compaq - that should tell HP something....

Cheers,
Scott.
New Anything that stands to get . . .
. . those damned Presarios off the market is fine with me. I hate those things.

It looks like the Lexmark contract is going to toss a wrench in the works. Carly's going to have to make some serious concessions somewhere to get by that one.

Compaq's famous "channel distribution" was going south anyway, Capellas had successfully alienated just about everybody. Of course HP hasn't done a lot better recently.

I see continuing growth in market share for "white box" computers. "White box" has recently started seriously eating into server share as well as it's traditional desktops. About 40% of resellers report "white box" as their best selling desktop brand and about 25% for servers.

Reseller trade rag CRN declared "white box" dead a couple years ago when Compaq, HP and IBM dropped their prices to below what small builders could meet, but after a dip they came back - the advantages are just too overwhelming.

My "white box" machines are definitely more expensive (for quality and performance reasons) than what you can get at Frys or Best Buy, and I tell the customers that, but my sales are up. Too many people have had bad experiences with "major brands".
New Yup look at HB Systems in Anchorage
priced at gateway and so much more reliable.
thanx,
bill
Our bureaucracy and our laws have turned the world into a clean, safe work camp. We are raising a nation of slaves.
Chuck Palahniuk
New Its a stupidity attraction...
See, Compaq and HP both have a lot of stupidity.

Apparently, they got too much close to each other, and now its reached critical mass, and is coalesing into a Moronic Hole.. kind of like a black hole, but no intelligent thought gets out.

More seriously, the reason I say that, is that both company kind of muddle around, and miss their best points, and get by, with some collossal stupidity that takes back all the hard-won gains.

The two of them together, I suspect, will toss most of the thought, and the PHB thought process will be even more ingrained, and now there's more bureaucracy and power struggles and...

Addison
New Bloomberg agrees.
HP's stock was down 12% this morning.

[link|http://quote.bloomberg.com/fgcgi.cgi?ptitle=Top%20Financial%20News&s1=blk&tp=ad_topright_topfin&T=markets_bfgcgi_content99.ht&s2=ad_right1_topfin&bt=ad_position1_topfin&middle=ad_frame2_topfin&s=AO5TamRNiSGV3bGV0|This] story on Bloomberg has more details and comments.

Together, Hewlett-Packard and Compaq would have had about 18 percent of the worldwide personal-computer market in the second quarter, according to Dataquest. By contrast, Dell held 13.1 percent of the PC market.

Fiorina, who considered buying PricewaterhouseCoopers LLC's consulting arm last year to bolster her company's services unit, may be most interested in Compaq's growth in that area. Still, about 55 percent of Compaq's services business is low-end technical support, Kumar said. That's not going to be much help to Fiorina, he said.

Services -- in particular outsourcing contracts, where companies turn over management of entire networks or computing departments -- have sustained IBM through fat and lean quarters, because multiyear contracts generate a steadier stream of revenue than hardware sales.

Before the second quarter, services had generated two-thirds of IBM's sales growth since 1994 -- $20 billion of the $32 billion total.

Consulting and outsourcing have been recent bright spots for Hewlett-Packard, which gets about 15 percent of its sales from services. While hardware demand dropped, consulting revenue rose 9 percent in the latest quarter, with outsourcing climbing 20 percent. Total services revenue in the period rose 3 percent to $1.88 billion. Compaq's services sales rose 6.8 percent in the second quarter to $1.94 billion, or 23 percent of total revenue.

[...]

``They have the fire power, but they'll run to major problems with suppliers,'' Tilney's Roe-Ely said. ``Compaq has a contract with Lexmark International Inc., which competes with HP.''

Compaq, which bought Digital Equipment Corp. in 1998, has stumbled in its efforts to reorganize the company around its services business. Since Capellas became CEO in 1999, he has restructured Compaq three different times. That doesn't bode well for Hewlett-Packard's chances, analysts said.

``Compaq bought Digital for services,'' said Gartner Group's Bertram. ``They haven't made a particularly good showing of services. Now H-P buys Compaq -- how much baggage is going to come with this?''

Fiorina, Capellas

Capellas and Fiorina, who sat next to each other at an Aug. 8 party celebrating the 20th anniversary of the first IBM PC, were named to their respective posts just days apart, with Fiorina starting July 19, 1999, and Capellas taking over Compaq July 22.

Hewlett-Packard stock has fallen 48 percent since the day before the company hired Fiorina, then a Lucent Technologies Inc. executive. Compaq shares have dropped 53 percent since the day before Capellas was promoted.

[...]

It certainly doesn't look like the merger's going to have an easy pass in the press and the stock market.

Cheers,
Scott.
New Anecdotal addendum..
(It's unwise statistically, but I think we all remember personal experiences much more than any actual stats)

My one run-in with Compaq re a failed MB in an early notebook (under warranty), got me all the way to talking with The Frenchman's er 'Executive Secretary' for some hints on wording of my letter to the Unreachable One. This after literally an hour+ of wasted time long distance, with high-priced successive managers reading me the mantra, it's against company policy.

Simply, I wanted to *pay* for the minor mb 'upgrade' of including a bloody CACHE! for this underpowered cpu. I knew they HAD more of the later mbs in stock than.. copies of my older one, and I had S/Ns and prices. No Dice. The Frenchman also bounced it back to previous hi-level droid woman - with smirking refusal. Customer is always Wrong, no matter what the logic. (My last Cpq (used) purchase ever, needless to say). I made that point clear to smirking droid, especially re my PO for 24 new laptops going to Toshiba (a baldfaced lie, but when in Rome...)

Toshiba OTOH, with a machine in final week of warranty: virtually rebuilt the sucker, paid for Fed-Ex pickup and return, to a nearby warr. station. (Called them too, to applaud).

I wonder how typical was my Cpq. experience.. but I can cheerfully and irrationally, simply: permanently avoid them.
(..nobody fucks with Paul Lazzaro!)

A.
New Re: Didn't HP buy consulting arm of Price Waterhouse ?

That is the services link - In the 1990s Andersen Consulting (now accenture) & Price Waterhouse IT consulting, ruled the world. But IBM global services was created as a counter balance & grew to displace both of those companies.

The Internet hastened the demise of traditional IT consulting firms as they could all see the world was changing - most consulting companies (who started as accounting consultants or management consultnats) have recently sold off their old IT consulting arms.

Am not sure what this means for the proposed Compaq & HP merger.

Cheers

Doug Marker
New Tried, failed.
New Along those lines
"Why would anybody want to buy new PCs today?"
The answer used to be simple, at least in the MS world: you needed new HW to be able to keep up with the demands of the latest MS software. This has long been the quid-pro-quo driving the PC business: you preload our OS, and we'll both benefit from our forced SW/HW upgrade treadmill.
Now that XP and .NET are on the horizon, MS is building a revenue model far less dependent on growing OEM sales -- and will not need to offer OEMs the carrot of continual increasing demands on customer HW. I would be worried if I were a PC maker.

Giovanni
     NYT (and all over): HP buys Compaq for US$25b stock - (kmself) - (24)
         Had to get my nickel in on this one. - (Andrew Grygus) - (10)
             Merger makes little sense - (bluke) - (8)
                 It makes sense for HP and Compaq management - (Another Scott) - (2)
                     Anything that stands to get . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (1)
                         Yup look at HB Systems in Anchorage - (boxley)
                 Its a stupidity attraction... - (addison)
                 Bloomberg agrees. - (Another Scott) - (1)
                     Anecdotal addendum.. - (Ashton)
                 Re: Didn't HP buy consulting arm of Price Waterhouse ? - (dmarker2) - (1)
                     Tried, failed. -NT - (Andrew Grygus)
             Along those lines - (GBert)
         Fiorina is not good leadership material - (ben_tilly) - (5)
             Damn Ben.. where do you *find* these links? - (Ashton) - (2)
                 Chainsaw Al got his comeuppance... - (Another Scott) - (1)
                     Not really.. never, in Murica - (Ashton)
             Good article! -NT - (tonytib)
             But even big-mouths can be a "4" - (tablizer)
         Rousing raspberry from the stockmarket. - (Another Scott)
         Do I hear 20.3B? How about 19.7B? Now 18.9B? - (gdaustin)
         "Compackard"? -NT - (tablizer) - (2)
             No - Hewlett Packard - (Andrew Grygus) - (1)
                 Ah.. I see. Then, when Sony - (Ashton)
         Conspiracy theory time - (JayMehaffey) - (1)
             BTW, MIPS isn't dead -- probably outsells P IV - (tonytib)

The Men In Black have been bendin' my ear.
65 ms