IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Hey, not a problem for me. Remember . . .
. . I use the (evil, evil, evil) Caldera Linux (with (gasp! choke) per-seat licensing (for the full version with proprietary stuff included)). I'm just interested in seeing the reaction. The Linux "community" seems to ignore all announcements of charging for products unless they come from Caldera.

It is my firm opinion (stated here at various times) that Open Source programmers will not meet business needs, and that proprietary software is greatly needed for Linux to succeed in the business market.
[link|http://www.aaxnet.com|AAx]
New Talking about sorely lacking areas in Open Source projects:
I'm in the process of downloading and burning Mandrake 8.0. If I like it, I am going to donate some money; Mandrake has a donations page where you can specify where the money goes.

My choice: documentation
That's the part that always seems to get done last, if ever.

If you buy a retail copy of a distribution that contains non-distributable code, then if you want to use those programs, it's per seat. I'm not sure HP and Caldera are the only ones with non-distributable code.

As far as per seat goes, well, if the extra software is worth it, then I wouldn't have a problem with per seat. But, I suspect that the people who complain the most about Caldera don't have a business to run.

I think it's both necessary and possible for Linux to expand into business but still be good for hackers.

Tony
Who tries hard to ignore certain types of people inhabiting cyberspace (e.g. haven't been to slashdot in a long time)
New Don't form your entire opinion of
Mandrake from 8.0 - I'm not really fond of it, though I liked 7.1 and 7.2 ...

Imric's Tips for Living
  • Paranoia Is a Survival Trait
  • Pessimists are never disappointed - but sometimes, if they are very lucky, they can be pleasantly surprised...
  • Even though everyone is out to get you, it doesn't matter unless you let them win.
New I've used previous versions (6.x), so we'll see how it goes
and I like the free download / give donations part on their part (yes, DSL is nice).

If I don't like it, I'll wait for 8.1 (in beta IIRC) &/or spend some money on SuSE. My understanding is the x.0 releases from RH, Mandrake, etc are often a little, well, raw.

Tony
New RedHat are known to take chances with their .0 releases.
RH 5.2 and 6.2 were widely praised as quality releases. RH 7.0 was widely criticised for being too ambitious and flawed. 7.1 was much better - 7.2 will probably be at least as fantastic as 6.2 was.

Wade.

"All around me are nothing but fakes
Come with me on the biggest fake of all!"

New Running rhat 7.1 right now.
Pretty good, IMO. I wouldn't touch 7.0 when it came out; 6.2 was sufficient.
Regards,

-scott anderson
     Hewlett Packard to ship own Linux distribution - (Andrew Grygus) - (7)
         What's wrong with that? If you don't like it, don't use it - (tonytib) - (6)
             Hey, not a problem for me. Remember . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (5)
                 Talking about sorely lacking areas in Open Source projects: - (tonytib) - (4)
                     Don't form your entire opinion of - (imric) - (3)
                         I've used previous versions (6.x), so we'll see how it goes - (tonytib) - (2)
                             RedHat are known to take chances with their .0 releases. - (static) - (1)
                                 Running rhat 7.1 right now. - (admin)

Several ICLRPDs in there, but I'll let others pick out their favorites.
290 ms