IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Mine.
Q: Are you bugged by people saying "GNU/Linux"?
A: No. But I think it is silly and sounds too much like New Linux.

Q: Are you bugged by people not saying "GNU/Linux"?
A: No.

Q: Are you bugged by people insisting that others {say|not say} GNU/Linux?
A: No. But I think they are silly.

Q: Do you feel that Stallman's claim that people should say "GNU/Linux" on grounds of granting credit to the GNU Project has merit?
A: In the past, yes. In the average distribution, there was more GNU code than Linux code. And Stallman is free to produce his own distribution and call it whatever he wants to. Just as the other distributions are free to name themselves whatever they want to. And they do.

Q: But aren't the lines of code from the GNU Project utterly dwarfed by the lines of code from other sources?
A: Now it is. In the past, it wasn't that way. You are free to name your distribution whatever you want to.

Q: But if the GNU Project deserves credit, don't others equally, such that you're really asking us to say "GNU/BSD/Perl/Apache/MIT/Python/Linux"?
A: Others deserve as much credit as GNU does. And you are free to name your own distribution.......

Q: But how can you say that their claim of credit has merit when they're not even competent to create a usable kernel within the current geological era?
A: I base merit upon what someone has done, not upon what someone has been unable to do.

Q: But isn't it possible to edit and debug code without emacs, maintain code repositories without cvs, use other implementations of make, use other compilers besides gcc, use other lexical analysers other than bison, use other C libraries other than glibc, and so on?
A: Probably. But this isn't about not using ANY code from the GNU project.

Q: But given that you can use a Linux system all day long, and never use any of those pieces other than glibc, how can you say they're that crucial?
A: That depends upon your definition of 'crucial".

Q: But isn't it more logical to call the system "Linux", since Linux is what starts the system and runs everything?
A: Logic has nothing to do with this. This is naming and marketing.

Q: But isn't the kernel more fundamental to the system?
A: Maybe. But the kernel depends upon the compiler. And so forth. So?

Q: So, do you say "GNU/Linux", yourself?
A: Nope. It sounds silly. "New Linux" or "Guh New Linux". Nor do I say Microsoft Windows OS.

Debian refers to it as "GNU/Linux".

I refer to the OS I prefer as "Debian".
New Re: Mine.
Brandioch wrote:

...Others deserve as much credit as GNU does....

Transparent question-begging that completely ducks the issue, noted without further comment.

Fundamentally, I rather suspect you just didn't read what I wrote very carefully. Oh well.

Rick Moen
rick@linuxmafia.com

If you lived here, you'd be $HOME already.
     The 'GNU' credit question - (rickmoen) - (33)
         Nicely put. -NT - (admin) - (5)
             Seconded -NT - (bepatient) - (4)
                 Thirded. -NT - (folkert) - (3)
                     GNU/Forth'd -NT - (kmself) - (2)
                         gForth - very fast - not GNU/Forth -NT - (deSitter) - (1)
                             Rick, when you shine is is dazzling - nice work !!! -NT - (dmarker)
         Mine. - (Brandioch) - (1)
             Re: Mine. - (rickmoen)
         Re: The 'GNU' credit question - (deSitter) - (3)
             Re: The 'GNU' credit question - (rickmoen)
             Re: The 'GNU' credit question - (pwhysall) - (1)
                 ln -s /dev/null /dev/stfu - ROFL -NT - (deSitter)
         is linux linux sans gnu ? - (boxley)
         That last answer is a corker! :-) -NT - (static)
         I open mine big fat mouth and say unto the world: - (cwbrenn) - (18)
             Re: I open mine big fat mouth and say unto the world: - (rickmoen) - (14)
                 Re: I open mine big fat mouth and say unto the world: - (cwbrenn) - (11)
                     Re: I open mine big fat mouth and say unto the world: - (rickmoen) - (10)
                         but... - (cwbrenn) - (9)
                             Re: but... - (rickmoen) - (8)
                                 I don't see it as an ethical issue. Sorry. - (cwbrenn) - (7)
                                     So, "ethics" = the *letter* of the law (or license), to you? -NT - (CRConrad) - (3)
                                         Yes, when the REASON for the license is ETHICAL - (cwbrenn) - (2)
                                             Freaky definition of ethics, AFAICS. -NT - (CRConrad) - (1)
                                                 Very well. -NT - (cwbrenn)
                                     Re: I don't see it as an ethical issue. Sorry. - (rickmoen) - (2)
                                         ??? - (cwbrenn) - (1)
                                             ??? - (rickmoen)
                 oh yeah... - (cwbrenn) - (1)
                     Re: oh yeah... - (rickmoen)
             Re: I open mine big fat mouth and say unto the world: - (deSitter)
             Why I say GNU/Linux - (kmself) - (1)
                 I'll give Stallman a lot - (cwbrenn)

Obeying the Law of Unintended Consequences since 2001.
114 ms