IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New In a way, maybe that's bad too.
Kelzer writes:
It's a shame Microsoft has been able to leverage its desktop monopoly into a near-monopoly in the fileserver market, when NetWare is so superior. Oh well, guess I can root for Linux.
But, if a lot more people than you have that attitude, that'll virtually gurantee that it comes true -- you'd be helping the prophecy of Netware's demise to become self-fulfilling.

So what's next -- if or when Linux isn't an immediate M$-killer, let's abandon it, in turn, for something new? Maybe that's one of the many things that keep the Redmonopoly going: We can't seem to stick with one competitor long enough for it to have time to work. (Bye, OS/2!)*

Note that I am not accusing or blaming you personally, Kelzer (Oh, BTW: Hi, and welcome!), of anything; just pointing out that a lack of perseverance, an inability to unite around one "main competitor" at a time (for a little longer than a Warhol Fame Period**), may be a real existing reason for the persistence of Bill's stranglehold over the computing public.

Just a (sad) little observation that came to mind, reading your post.

*: Then again, sometimes they rise from the dead after a while. (Hello, OS/2 eComStation!)

**: "Who the fuck is Warhol? Oh, just some guy, I suppose he must have been famous once... As I recall, mainly for saying that in the future, everybody would be famous for fifteen minutes."
   Christian R. Conrad
The Man Who Knows Fucking Everything
New Don't misunderstand me
I haven't given up on Novell. Given the choice, I'd be using it today. I still extoll its virtues to anyone who'll listen. I still root for NetWare, but I believe Linux has a better chance because its business model is the only one that can compete with Microsoft on a large scale. Of course, if the anti-trust remedies are adequate, perhaps NetWare, Navigator, WordPerfect, Lotus 1-2-3, and other former market leaders might make a comeback.

First Post! - (kelzer) - (8)
         Oh, we have an MS Shill - (drewk)
         In a way, maybe that's bad too. - (CRConrad) - (1)
             Don't misunderstand me - (kelzer)
         I can go one better. - (static) - (3)
             Banyan's marketing makes Novell's look good. - (Andrew Grygus) - (2)
                 Yeah... I know. - (static) - (1)
                     Re: Yeah... I know. - (addison)
         NDS is more important these days - (tjsinclair)

UNAPOTHEGMATIC MAN
66 ms