And y'know? I almost.. do see your point re an unending series of restrained.. (hey! I don't really want to do this..but) half-measures as has succeeded only in coalescing the opposition (simultaneously stilling the many divergent voices within - who might have led to some accommodation If..not silenced by the need for unity - which [da capo])

Given the overall state of maturity of homo-sap thus far - it's possible that we Cannot today get beyond the logic you mention (and I'm not even being sarcastic). A brilliant and thorough strike - yes, and all which that suggests - might be the last resort before matters escalate and involve larger powers: acting no more wisely because *We* aren't any wiser.

(But the larger powers can decimate even more of the world, after entering the 'spasm war' mindset. The men in white gloves at The Green Table.. Again.)

Finally, the middle-east may prove to be that oft-predicted crucible, via which homo-sap outgrows the old vindictive Gods still ruling his instinctive center, and decides that:

They cannot All be Right! so maybe we are Wrong to believe in the entire Idea of.. 'a single answer to all Questions'.

(or some reasonable facsimile)

As to now: I have *no idea*. Crap-shoot of all crap-shoots. But we shall hear endless prescriptions from the usual sources and agendas. Right up to P- hour.