IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Re: Good discussion on first job hunting at K5.
I like "Joel Spolsky's The Guerrilla Guide to Interviewing"
far more than the "Getting a job by ucblockhead.". I've
made some HORRIBLE hiring decisions in the past, and if
I followed Joel's rules I wouldn't have.

The ucblockhead method seems incredibly slimey. And if he
acted that way with me, I'd slam him hard for his "creative"
resume style.
New I Loved This
. For some reason most people seem to be born without the part of the brain that understands pointers.

That is so true. I laughed out loud.

BTW, I think I would utterly flunk some of your interview. Would you still hire me? I'm free.
New A good read, even for nonprogrammers and.. pointers!
IIRC about pointers:

I may have had a similar epiphany ~ early-on:
"I have to work rilly rilly hard to see how this er 'works'; I think this means - I won't ever get very good at it. Ergo: I am not a programmer. Oh well."

(or something vaguely like that)

And yes too, I'd surmise that, if you assembled lots of those questions (of your cohorts: the ones They ask their intreviewees) - you might find a rather compact assessment of the gotcha!s (or even basic badness? in some cases) of the Popular languages.

(This along the lines, in the science forum re Cosmology: whether you can? examine a subset of questions for, "answerability of the questions asked to date" and extrapolate some idea of the fruitfulness (?) of further investigation along similar lines..)

There is no possible 'algorithm' for Original thinking..
(and ya don't even need G\ufffddel for arriving at That)

A.
New Re: I Loved This
. For some reason most people seem to be born without the part of the brain that understands pointers.

Oh god how true. I think back to college; there was one person who *just could not understand* the concept of zero, and an ascii zero.

He's probably a sysadmin somewhere today. (shudder)
French Zombies are zapping me with lasers!
New As to zero..
The Mayans got it.. long before us backward folk managed it.
(But they were smart enough to reserve wheels for.. toys for their children! Maybe realized what could happen if they started er "making everything efficient with machines" ?)

Natch - we don't really know why that wheel choice, but they certainly understood the principle. And their geography was mountainous, so - ?
New wheel principle
wheels needed a few good things to work. Large draught animals, hardwoods, iron rims or the weight+shock of bad roads and softwood would shatter the wheel. To scale up the toys would have been ineficient with the materials at hand. Look at the 49ers and the oregon trail. Try to take heavy wagons with no well thought out load balancing plan. Contrast that to the mule skinners on the santa fe trail. Good load management and an understanding of horsepower.
thanx,
bill
Our bureaucracy and our laws have turned the world into a clean, safe work camp. We are raising a nation of slaves.
Chuck Palahniuk
New I think you're overstating it
Surely they had some knowledge of how to harden wheels and woods? And you don't need large draught animals to use wheels; humans can pull carts pretty well. They've done pretty good in Asia with human cart-pullers (aka rikshahs if I could spell).

On the other hand, weren't there two empires? One in modern Mexico, and the other in South America?

Whatever, the defeat of an empire by a handful of Spaniards has got to be one of the mind-boggling episodes in history.
French Zombies are zapping me with lasers!
New Four wheels, two empires, and one conqueror.
As far as wheels go in Central and South America, they didn't catch on mainly due to the terrain. A good portion of the Aztec, Inca, and Mayan civilizations were up high in mountainous terrain - and they didn't have hard metals either. IIRC, they didn't even have copperworking down to an art, which is why they used obsidian-edged clubs. This made wheels quite impractical, and instead they used pack dogs and slaves to carry goods.

There were actually three empires, but only two when the Spaniards came calling - the Mayan empire had collapsed inward before they got there. (Or was it the Inca? I don't remember.)

The Aztecs were actually winning the fight - despite firearms, real armor, and superior weaponry, the sheer numbers of the Aztecs were overwhelming the Spanish forces. Cortez made a push for the leader of the Aztecs (I don't remember his name) and managed to kill him. The thing is, the Aztecs revered him as a living God. If you can kill God, who wants to fight you?
"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." - Friedrich Nietzsche
New No, Montezuma was killed by his own
Montezuma more or less surrendered to Cortez because he saw him as Quetzalcoatl, and the troops didn't. Cortez paraded him as a prisoner in an attempt to get the troops to join him in surrender, but the troops stoned him instead. The injuries were such that the Spanish expected him to survive, but apparently he had lost the will to live.

The empire had made many, many enemies, so Cortez had a good many local allies when he attacked Tenochtitlan.

Cortez was very, very good at his job. Partly because he was much less of an sadistic asshole than your average Conquistador (not a major compliment). Montezuma was not a very good Emperor, and the empire had grown soft from being on top too long.

Still, it was rather a major upset if you look at it in strictly secular terms. On the other hand, when a pissed-off major deity shows up to destroy his people, all bets are off. And Cortez (though he certainly didn't think so) was the Plumed Serpent, returning as predicted (to the day) in his cloud-ship to destroy the empire for indulging in human sacrifice.

White guys in suits know best
- Pat McCurdy
New Whoops!
I'm kinda rusty on my Central American history - my mother hasn't had an opportunity to pound it into my skull for quite some time. ^_^
"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." - Friedrich Nietzsche
New Without the Olmecs and Toltecs
Slave nations to the Aztecs on the east coast, plus local superstition to use as propaganda, Cortez and crew would have died half way back to the coast.
thanx,
bill
why did god give us a talleywhacker and a trigger finger if he didnt want us to use them?
Randy Wayne White
New Sorry, not looking at this point -msg
New Yep - reverse a string
is kind of insulting to a good C programmer but I guess plenty of people can't do it.

char* revstr(char* s)
{
char* start = s;
char* end = start + strlen(s) -1;
while(start < end)
{
char tmp = *start;
*start++ = *end;
*end-- = tmp;
}
return s;
}

Time to write - 30 seconds. FWIW, pointing out a non-existent bug in my code is going to get him a PHB award.

Besides, I make it a practice to never work for people who use the term GPF when they mean segfault or coredump.

Good discussion on first job hunting at K5. - (Another Scott) - (13)
         Re: Good discussion on first job hunting at K5. - (broomberg) - (12)
             I Loved This - (deSitter) - (11)
                 A good read, even for nonprogrammers and.. pointers! - (Ashton)
                 Re: I Loved This - (wharris2) - (7)
                     As to zero.. - (Ashton) - (6)
                         wheel principle - (boxley) - (5)
                             I think you're overstating it - (wharris2) - (4)
                                 Four wheels, two empires, and one conqueror. - (inthane-chan) - (3)
                                     No, Montezuma was killed by his own - (mhuber) - (1)
                                         Whoops! - (inthane-chan)
                                     Without the Olmecs and Toltecs - (boxley)
                 Sorry, not looking at this point -msg -NT - (broomberg)
                 Yep - reverse a string - (tuberculosis)

This space intentionally left blank.
124 ms