IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New well...
as far as I can tell, the modem is working. My windows machine can surf when connected directly to it. The problem is, none of the others can.

My OS/2 Laptop can't get an IP address, though it could Sunday night.

My OS/2 workstation can't get an IP address.

My newly repaired Linux box can't get an IP address, either. The lights on both the modem and the ethernet card flash furiously, but no IP address... dhcp seems to not work.

Roadrunner swears they haven't changed anything, and they maintain that according to their diagnostic tools, my modem is working just ducky. So something else is going horribly wrong... I don't know what it is. :(
"We are all born originals -- why is it so many of us die copies?"
- Edward Young
New Oho.
You need to unplug the modem and plug it in so it will get a new MAC address.

To prevent people from surfing with multliple machines, they'll only send to 1 MAC address. (They changed this at one point, it used to be able to use a hub).

So you'll need to NAT to use more than one box, or use the same ethernet card.

Simple simple. :)

But you can still take the other one and shoot it in front of the other devices. :)

Why didn't you just say that? :)

Addison
New yep
That seems to have done the trick. Sheesh.

Now I need to re-configure everything. *whimper*
- Edward Young
New Nah.
Either set up a firewall, or get one of the cheap switches that NATs for you, and then plug everything into that.

(I've heard that you can override the MAC address for some cards under Linux, maybe under OS/2, and then you could set the MAC addresses to the same?

Addison
New Since all network addressing . . .
. . for bridging, routing and other functions is actually done by MAC address, having several cards with the same address would probably make quite a mess of things.
[link|http://www.aaxnet.com|AAx]
New Not
if they're not online at the same time (as he was talking about).

He said that when he unplugged one from the CM, and plugged another in, that the CM didn't work. Which would indicate they're not online at the same time, and therefore irrelevant to the MAC address.

If they're on a network together, whole new ball game.

Addison
New MAC Address
Around these parts the cable companies lock to the MAC address of the network card they supply you (or the one already in your computer. For this purpose we use the Linksys router, which can spoof a MAC address. You just get the one from the supplied card and set it up in the Linksys. Retire that network card for use only when you have to restore your service configuration for some battle with the cable provider.
[link|http://www.aaxnet.com|AAx]
New Not that bad here.
When I first got mine, it didn't care.

Apparently its been upgraded since then, cause it cares now, but a hard reset fixes it, it'll take whatever card it sees.

Addison
New The whole sordid story (and how it's almost fixed)
My server -- a linux box running Mandrake 8 on an AMD K6-2 -- overheated. For a few weeks it had been mysteriously turning itself off, and I didn't know why.

Well, Monday morning I wake up and think "do I smell smoke?" I wander into the computer room and my server is smoking. I unplug that boy right quick, boy howdy. Turns out the fan on the power supply had died... I figured the power supply was flaking out and that was the reason for the shutdowns, but I didn't know it was the fan, I just figured parts were wearing out or something.

At any rate, the fan just so happens to be positioned right over the CPU in that box. So it died, and all of the heat from the power supply toasted my processor. >:( Sheesh. At any rate... I went out and plunked down $500 for a Duron 900, some ram, and a new case w/power supply, as well as an extra HD (since I'd been planning to increase my disk space anyway).

So I take all the good parts out of my bad computer, put 'em into the good computer, load Mandrake on the new computer and...

nothing happens.

The day without a server I'd been using my laptop, hooked up to the cable modem directly, for email and stuff. Shortly after midnight I rebooted the laptop and couldn't get an IP address. It was the only thing hooked up to the cable modem at the time.

Later, the server wouldn't get an IP address either. I'm getting a little pissed now.

At this time, the server is the only thing hooked up to the cable modem. I call up Roadrunner tech support and the guy says, a bit confused "we've got THREE Ip addresses running into that modem." So he resets that from there, clears that up, still doesn't work. I reboot, still doesn't work. So he says "I'm going to switch you over to software support... maybe it's a configuration thing."

I already know what's going to happen next, and I'd like to say that not only was I right, I came very close to predicting the actual words spoken.

"Hello, this is Roadrunner software support. Can I help you?"

Me: "yes, blah blah blah blah blah and that's my problem."

"Ok, go to my computer."

Me: "Uhhh, I'm running Linux."

"Ok, hold please."

(silence)

"Ok, what version of Linux are you using?"

Me: "Mandrake 8."

"Ok, hold please."

(silence)

"Sir, you have to call Linux. We don't have any information on how to support that yet."

Me: "..."

"Thank you for using Roadrunner."

To their credit, I was half-expecting for them to say "we don't support Linux at all. Linux is an unsupported system. As a matter of fact, using Linux is a direct violation of our terms of service. We'll send a guy over tomorrow morning to take back that cable modem, sir."

Just imagine what would have happened if I'd told them I was using eComStation.

At any rate, no luck of any kind until I took Addison's advice and actually reset the damn thing. Then it worked like a charm.

However, I still have to reconfigure everything. I've got the firewall set up, I've got NAT running, and I can't ping darklord. And the bastille-firewall.cfg script changes that I'd made the LAST time I went through this aren't working this time. Hmph.

So I now have internet access, for the most part, and darklord is about as secure as I'll ever manage to get it. But I still have no file or print sharing, which is sort of important. However, I can start doing Help Desks again, so that's good.

Stupid, stupid, stupid, stupid, stupid, stupid, stupid, stupid, STUPID computers...
- Edward Young
New Re: The whole sordid story (and how it's almost fixed)
Just imagine what would have happened if I'd told them I was using eComStation.

"Do you see the ethernet port on the back? If you've got it plugged into there, and its not working, you'll need to call Apple support."

"Apple support?"

"Yessir, for the eComStation"

"This is a PC!"

"an eComstation? No, with that dumb name, its got to be an Apple"

"its the LATEST VERSION OF OS/2!"

"OS/2 sir? But that died years ago, Infoworld had a story"

"ITS OS/2!"

"Ok, sir, but you can't run that on your Apple, you'll need to get a PC for that"

Addison
New hehehe
I'm gonna use that. I am so going to use that. :)

- Edward Young
New You do know the old nickname for computers, don't you?
High-speed idiots.

Wade.

"All around me are nothing but fakes
Come with me on the biggest fake of all!"

Yep. I dig ecs - (cwbrenn) - (15)
         Ok. Does this mean we can expect to see more Helpdesk soon? - (jake123) - (14)
             well... - (cwbrenn) - (13)
                 Need another one? - (addison) - (12)
                     well... - (cwbrenn) - (11)
                         Oho. - (addison) - (10)
                             yep - (cwbrenn) - (3)
                                 Nah. - (addison) - (2)
                                     Since all network addressing . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (1)
                                         Not - (addison)
                             MAC Address - (Andrew Grygus) - (5)
                                 Not that bad here. - (addison) - (4)
                                     The whole sordid story (and how it's almost fixed) - (cwbrenn) - (3)
                                         Re: The whole sordid story (and how it's almost fixed) - (addison) - (1)
                                             hehehe - (cwbrenn)
                                         You do know the old nickname for computers, don't you? - (static)