IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Read the rest of the thread. ext2 is in the kernel.
This is not the issue.

The prebuild uses initrd, with ext2 in it. All of this is taken care of in the prebuild. It wouldn't be much of a prebuild if it couldn't deal with ext2. ;-)
Regards,

-scott anderson

"Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson..."
New Re: Read the rest of the thread. ext2 is in the kernel.
Tried modularized ext2 via initrd myself in effort to get USB up fast (i.e. boot initrd, load USB, remount disk fs as /...). ext2 would not load as a module from an initrd.

Is GRUB passing the right boot parameters?

Make a kernel with ext2 compiled in directly and forget about the initial RAM disk.

-drl
New Kernels had ext2 in the kernel, not as a module.
And yes, Grub is passing the right boot parameters. Same parms boot under my 2.4.4 kernel fine.
Regards,

-scott anderson

New Okay...
I am begining to get a picture here.

First explain to me your Hardware situation... What IS it. MB, BIOS Rev, Chipset.

I saw a Slightly similar incident on the Debian Users Mailing list... Matter of fact our very own Peter was [link|http://cert.uni-stuttgart.de/archive/debian/user/2002/10/msg00308.html|ranting] how he'd like to know how a "monolithic" kernel would be faster or more secure than a modular one, about the time this rolled through the Debian user List, October 2002. I'd like to know it too... BTW, you ever find out Peter?

The issue was 2.4.19-2 for i686. It was having a tough time properly generating and installing a good initrd. It looked like it was good, but would'na worky as some modules were not able to load.

Haven't had time to follow-up on it... but it might lead you into a clue.

[link|mailto:curley95@attbi.com|greg] - Grand-Master Artist in IT
[link|http://www.iwethey.org/ed_curry/|REMEMBER ED CURRY!!!]

Your friendly Geheime Staatspolizei reminds:
[link|http://www.wired.com/news/wireless/0,1382,56742,00.html|Wi-Fi enabled device use] comes with an all inclusive
free trip to the (county)Photographer!

Overbooking, is a problem, please be prepared for "room-ies".

Why You ask? Here is the answer to your query:
SELECT * FROM politicians WHERE iq > 40 OR \\
  WHERE ego < 1048575;
0 rows found
New I'll look that up.
Because making a non-initrd kernel worked. :-) Thanks to Ross for the idea.

I didn't change any modules, etc. just dropped the initrd. Bam, up it comes.
Regards,

-scott anderson

New Rolling your own
There's nothing like rolling your own kernel, compiled your way, to eliminate diagnostic variables. Please realise that the main reason for the prevalence of highly modular kernels and initial RAMdisks is so that distributions can install and run with a single installation set onto the widest possible range of hardware. As a result, such setups aren't guaranteed to work on your hardware, and are pretty much guaranteed to be sub-optimal even where they do.

What the distributions are trying to get away from is the traditional Slackware installation routine, where you select a boot floppy image and a root floppy image from among dozens of such combinations, picking a pair that's appropriate for your hardware. That still works. In fact, it works extremely well. But it doesn't sell to the masses. Thus the profusion of modules and initrds.

After any successful installation, I still, to this day, like compiling a kernel that has all its required hardware drivers, filesystem drivers, and optional features compiled directly into a monolithic kernel that doesn't even support module-loading at all. But short of that, you can alternatively compile a kernel that support modules, and has at its disposal a big tree of modules, but has support for key hardware and filesystems compiled directly in.

The latter can be a lifesaver, e.g., if you suddenly do something that screws up your kernel's ability to load and unload modules, or clobber /lib/modules/[foo], or some bonehead manoeuvre like that. Having crucial drivers compiled directly into the kernel means they're available no matter what, as long as the kernel gets loaded and is running at all.

Rick Moen
rick@linuxmafia.com

If you lived here, you'd be $HOME already.
New The last option is what I've done.
FS, network, and essential hardware is compiled into the kernel. Other things that may or may not be needed at some point in time are done as modules. No initrd needed, but modules are still available.
Regards,

-scott anderson

New Re: The last option is what I've done.
Scott wrote:

FS, network, and essential hardware is compiled into the kernel. Other things that may or may not be needed at some point in time are done as modules. No initrd needed, but modules are still available.

It's a good compromise: It lets you try new things and have them be supported pretty much automatically, while ensuring that core drivers (ones you know you're likely to need for a long time) are always present. All you lose is a little disk space in /lib/modules -- and the tinfoil-hat paranoic's assurance inherent in non-module-supporting kernels. (One security theory goes that there's a slight security threat in modular kernels, in that the bad guys could hide their presence via a trojaned module in a way much more difficult to detect than via a presence in userspace.)

Rick Moen
rick@linuxmafia.com

If you lived here, you'd be $HOME already.
New Re: Rolling your own
After any successful installation, I still, to this day, like compiling a kernel that has all its required hardware drivers, filesystem drivers, and optional features compiled directly into a monolithic kernel that doesn't even support module-loading at all. But short of that, you can alternatively compile a kernel that support modules, and has at its disposal a big tree of modules, but has support for key hardware and filesystems compiled directly in.

Well finally! Someone who agrees! I only accept this module loading horseshit because the init scripts want it - but they are right and I am wrong, so I got used to it.

My PS/2 Linux machines all had absolutely monolitic kernels. lsmod returned a prompt :)
-drl
     2.4.19/20 problems - can't mount root fs - (admin) - (22)
         Re: 2.4.19/20 problems - can't mount root fs - (rickmoen) - (15)
             Known good 2.4.4 config -- stock - (kmself) - (2)
                 Re: Known good 2.4.4 config -- stock - (rickmoen) - (1)
                     Is stock. - (admin)
             Re: 2.4.19/20 problems - can't mount root fs - (admin)
             Prebuilt kernel: no joy :-( - (admin) - (10)
                 Re: Prebuilt kernel: no joy :-( - (deSitter) - (9)
                     Read the rest of the thread. ext2 is in the kernel. - (admin) - (8)
                         Re: Read the rest of the thread. ext2 is in the kernel. - (deSitter) - (7)
                             Kernels had ext2 in the kernel, not as a module. - (admin) - (6)
                                 Okay... - (folkert) - (5)
                                     I'll look that up. - (admin) - (4)
                                         Rolling your own - (rickmoen) - (3)
                                             The last option is what I've done. - (admin) - (1)
                                                 Re: The last option is what I've done. - (rickmoen)
                                             Re: Rolling your own - (deSitter)
         Compiler versions - (rickmoen) - (1)
             Re: Compiler versions - (admin)
         Re: 2.4.19/20 problems - can't mount root fs - (deSitter) - (3)
             The partition not mounting is ext2, not Reiser. -NT - (admin)
             Was that a dig at Hans Reiser? - (static) - (1)
                 Sure he did. - (deSitter)

My teapot is blue and my kettle is chrome. Please advise.
55 ms