IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Re: GRUB/LILO
Pretty much exactly. Once I deleted everything in /etc because I was tired and I made a mistake - I'm getting better, the one and only previous mistake of this sort was of /, and I had backups then, on 8 inch floppies - I was pissed as hell but it was hardly a bump in the road. I did once reboot before LILO, but I had a boot floppy (even on Microchannel) and kernel parameters. Did I blame LILO? Of course not. I always loved LILO because it had the good manners to leave a copy of the boot sector it replaced.
-drl
New Re: GRUB/LILO
PS: I'm certain that the behavior of cd without argument (take me home) is a direct result of being root. In other words, I won't make that mistake again, cd, I know that's an attic, with a lot of downloads and .dot files.

Speaking of which:

All these stupid .dot files for every last application are really annoying. .xinitrc must be saying "There goes the neighborhood."
-drl
New RFC: ~/.etc
\r\n

Speaking of which:

\r\n\r\n

All these stupid .dot files for every last application are really annoying. .xinitrc must be saying "There goes the neighborhood."

\r\n
\r\n\r\n

No kidding. IMO it's long past time to replicate / in $HOME. I tend to do this already with ~/bin and ~/tmp, and sometimes ~/etc, ~/lib, and ~/var. Dotfile propogation started bugging me years ago, and it's not getting any better. Worse is that there are now dotfile aggregators (.gnome, .Gabber, .gconf, .gconfd, .gnome_private, GNUstep, ...).

\r\n
--\r\n
Karsten M. Self [link|mailto:kmself@ix.netcom.com|kmself@ix.netcom.com]\r\n
[link|http://kmself.home.netcom.com/|http://kmself.home.netcom.com/]\r\n
What part of "gestalt" don't you understand?\r\n
[link|http://twiki.iwethey.org/twiki/bin/view/Main/|TWikIWETHEY] -- an experiment in collective intelligence. Stupidity. Whatever.\r\n
\r\n
   Keep software free.     Oppose the CBDTPA.     Kill S.2048 dead.\r\n[link|http://www.eff.org/alerts/20020322_eff_cbdtpa_alert.html|http://www.eff.org/alerts/20020322_eff_cbdtpa_alert.html]\r\n
     Just used GRUB for the first time... - (admin) - (71)
         Awww... Shucks.... - (folkert)
         What's Wrong With Me? - (deSitter) - (69)
             Re: What's Wrong With Me? - (admin) - (3)
                 Re: What's Wrong With Me? - (deSitter) - (2)
                     Re: What's Wrong With Me? - (admin) - (1)
                         Hee hee - (tseliot)
             I have the perfect OS for you. - (pwhysall) - (1)
                 Hmmm.... - (folkert)
             What do you want out of your computer? - (ben_tilly) - (62)
                 Re: What do you want out of your computer? - (deSitter) - (61)
                     I've used SuSE for well over a year now. - (admin) - (53)
                         Re: I've used SuSE for well over a year now. - (deSitter) - (52)
                             Who cares about profits? - (admin) - (25)
                                 Re: Who cares about profits? - (deSitter) - (24)
                                     Oh, hush. - (pwhysall) - (22)
                                         Would Like To Hear What Rick has to say - (deSitter) - (21)
                                             Re: Would Like To Hear What Rick has to say - (rickmoen) - (20)
                                                 GRUB/LILO - (admin) - (13)
                                                     Re: GRUB/LILO - (rickmoen) - (9)
                                                         Whether you have a fallback stanza or not - (admin) - (8)
                                                             Ahh, the philosophical difference - (drewk) - (3)
                                                                 Re: Ahh, the philosophical difference - (rickmoen) - (2)
                                                                     Fallback stanza: yes - (kmself)
                                                                     Fallback stanza: yes - (kmself)
                                                             Re: Whether you have a fallback stanza or not - (rickmoen) - (3)
                                                                 VMWare - (admin) - (2)
                                                                     Isn't this a clue? - (Another Scott) - (1)
                                                                         Re: Isn't this a clue? - (admin)
                                                     Re: GRUB/LILO - (deSitter) - (2)
                                                         Re: GRUB/LILO - (deSitter) - (1)
                                                             RFC: ~/.etc - (kmself)
                                                 Ha! - (admin) - (5)
                                                     diffs on edit history (new thread) - (drewk)
                                                     Ha! - (rickmoen) - (3)
                                                         You weren't that far off... - (admin)
                                                         How does Debian.. - (deSitter) - (1)
                                                             Debian library updates - (kmself)
                                     Profits... - (admin)
                             Bah! - (pwhysall) - (14)
                                 I thought it was over... - (Another Scott) - (13)
                                     Re: I thought it was over... - (deSitter) - (11)
                                         I'd be willing to bet it's... - (Yendor) - (10)
                                             Re: I'd be willing to bet it's... - (deSitter) - (9)
                                                 ? -NT - (admin) - (4)
                                                     Spyware -NT - (deSitter) - (3)
                                                         News to me. - (Another Scott)
                                                         Errrr... - (admin) - (1)
                                                             Re: Errrr... - (deSitter)
                                                 You Gatored you - (kmself) - (2)
                                                     Re: You Gatored you - (deSitter) - (1)
                                                         Re: You Gatored you - (kmself)
                                                 This post intentionally... - (kmself)
                                     been a while - (SpiceWare)
                             You *CAN'T* adapt policies to a standard distro - (ben_tilly) - (10)
                                 Re: You *CAN'T* adapt policies to a standard distro - (deSitter) - (9)
                                     Um, Ross...? - (ben_tilly) - (8)
                                         Re: Um, Ross...? - (deSitter) - (7)
                                             So marketing is OK if it is effective? -NT - (ben_tilly) - (6)
                                                 Re: So marketing is OK if it is effective? - (deSitter) - (5)
                                                     Um...marketing is _part_ of the production process - (ben_tilly) - (4)
                                                         Re: Um...marketing is _part_ of the production process - (deSitter) - (3)
                                                             Sorry to interject, but there's something important here. - (mmoffitt) - (1)
                                                                 Re: Sorry to interject, but there's something important... - (deSitter)
                                                             Call that a "missed reference" then. :-) -NT - (ben_tilly)
                     There can only be one? - (Brandioch) - (5)
                         *A* Frickin *MEN* -NT - (folkert)
                         Re: There can only be one? - (deSitter) - (3)
                             Re: There can only be one? - (rickmoen) - (2)
                                 Re: There can only be one? - (deSitter) - (1)
                                     Re: There can only be one? - (rickmoen)
                     Re: GRUB, the only way to fly - (dmarker)

Whatever they're promising, I promise the same - plus a pony.
201 ms