IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New There can only be one?
For servers, I prefer Debian. It's clean. I only have exactly what I want on it. It's easy to upgrade.

For workstations, I prefer whatever I like at that moment.

It was Red Hat.

But then Mandrake came out with all the cool stuff that Red Hat didn't have.

And SuSE had the cool new kernel with the cool new desktop and just about everything you could imagine.

But then Knoppix comes along and not only has everything, already has if configured for me.

But I view desktop systems as completely different from servers. Servers keep my data safe. Workstations can be wiped and reloaded whenever something else looks attractive.

Just save all your data to the server before wiping your desktop.
New *A* Frickin *MEN*

[link|mailto:curley95@attbi.com|greg] - Grand-Master Artist in IT
[link|http://www.iwethey.org/ed_curry/|REMEMBER ED CURRY!!!]

Your friendly Geheime Staatspolizei reminds:
[link|http://www.wired.com/news/wireless/0,1382,56742,00.html|Wi-Fi enabled device use] comes with an all inclusive
free trip to the (county)Photographer!

Overbooking, is a problem, please be prepared for "room-ies".

Why You ask? Here is the answer to your query:
SELECT * FROM politicians WHERE iq > 40 OR \\
  WHERE ego < 1048575;
0 rows found
New Re: There can only be one?
Did I say that? No - my clear point is that SuSE deserves my - MY - money. Spend yours, or don't, as you like. I am happy to give my money to SuSE. That is a class organization. I want them to make progress and profits.

-drl
deSitter wrote:

I am happy to give my money to SuSE. That is a class organization. I want them to make progress and profits.

Just in support of your point, all signs suggest that SuSE have provided practically all of the engineering talent for the United Linux distribution. Not only does the roster of names suggest that, but the beta I installed looked and acted a whole lot like SuSE 8.1 with the serial number filed off.

Rick Moen
rick@linuxmafia.com

If you lived here, you'd be $HOME already.
All you need do is read the kernel threads in reference to TIOCGDEV, an ioctl that SuSE uses to find the real console at boot-time, to see that those people have their heads on straight - see here for example:

[link|http://www.uwsg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0210.0/1670.html|http://www.uwsg.iu.e.../0210.0/1670.html]

The reply is rational, correct, and purely UNIX in spirit.
-drl
Interesting stuff. Thanks for pointing that out.

I notice that that LKML thread occurred during the latest iteration of the Bitkeeper licence flamewar. I pondered a suitably constructive response to the latter, and decided upon this: [link|http://linuxmafia.com/~rick/linux-info/scm.html|http:/linuxmafia.com/~rick/linux-info/scm.html]

Possibly of interest to some, here.

Rick Moen
rick@linuxmafia.com

If you lived here, you'd be $HOME already.
     Just used GRUB for the first time... - (admin) - (71)
         Awww... Shucks.... - (folkert)
         What's Wrong With Me? - (deSitter) - (69)
             Re: What's Wrong With Me? - (admin) - (3)
                 Re: What's Wrong With Me? - (deSitter) - (2)
                     Re: What's Wrong With Me? - (admin) - (1)
                         Hee hee - (tseliot)
             I have the perfect OS for you. - (pwhysall) - (1)
                 Hmmm.... - (folkert)
             What do you want out of your computer? - (ben_tilly) - (62)
                 Re: What do you want out of your computer? - (deSitter) - (61)
                     I've used SuSE for well over a year now. - (admin) - (53)
                         Re: I've used SuSE for well over a year now. - (deSitter) - (52)
                             Who cares about profits? - (admin) - (25)
                                 Re: Who cares about profits? - (deSitter) - (24)
                                     Oh, hush. - (pwhysall) - (22)
                                         Would Like To Hear What Rick has to say - (deSitter) - (21)
                                             Re: Would Like To Hear What Rick has to say - (rickmoen) - (20)
                                                 GRUB/LILO - (admin) - (13)
                                                     Re: GRUB/LILO - (rickmoen) - (9)
                                                         Whether you have a fallback stanza or not - (admin) - (8)
                                                             Ahh, the philosophical difference - (drewk) - (3)
                                                                 Re: Ahh, the philosophical difference - (rickmoen) - (2)
                                                                     Fallback stanza: yes - (kmself)
                                                                     Fallback stanza: yes - (kmself)
                                                             Re: Whether you have a fallback stanza or not - (rickmoen) - (3)
                                                                 VMWare - (admin) - (2)
                                                                     Isn't this a clue? - (Another Scott) - (1)
                                                                         Re: Isn't this a clue? - (admin)
                                                     Re: GRUB/LILO - (deSitter) - (2)
                                                         Re: GRUB/LILO - (deSitter) - (1)
                                                             RFC: ~/.etc - (kmself)
                                                 Ha! - (admin) - (5)
                                                     diffs on edit history (new thread) - (drewk)
                                                     Ha! - (rickmoen) - (3)
                                                         You weren't that far off... - (admin)
                                                         How does Debian.. - (deSitter) - (1)
                                                             Debian library updates - (kmself)
                                     Profits... - (admin)
                             Bah! - (pwhysall) - (14)
                                 I thought it was over... - (Another Scott) - (13)
                                     Re: I thought it was over... - (deSitter) - (11)
                                         I'd be willing to bet it's... - (Yendor) - (10)
                                             Re: I'd be willing to bet it's... - (deSitter) - (9)
                                                 ? -NT - (admin) - (4)
                                                     Spyware -NT - (deSitter) - (3)
                                                         News to me. - (Another Scott)
                                                         Errrr... - (admin) - (1)
                                                             Re: Errrr... - (deSitter)
                                                 You Gatored you - (kmself) - (2)
                                                     Re: You Gatored you - (deSitter) - (1)
                                                         Re: You Gatored you - (kmself)
                                                 This post intentionally... - (kmself)
                                     been a while - (SpiceWare)
                             You *CAN'T* adapt policies to a standard distro - (ben_tilly) - (10)
                                 Re: You *CAN'T* adapt policies to a standard distro - (deSitter) - (9)
                                     Um, Ross...? - (ben_tilly) - (8)
                                         Re: Um, Ross...? - (deSitter) - (7)
                                             So marketing is OK if it is effective? -NT - (ben_tilly) - (6)
                                                 Re: So marketing is OK if it is effective? - (deSitter) - (5)
                                                     Um...marketing is _part_ of the production process - (ben_tilly) - (4)
                                                         Re: Um...marketing is _part_ of the production process - (deSitter) - (3)
                                                             Sorry to interject, but there's something important here. - (mmoffitt) - (1)
                                                                 Re: Sorry to interject, but there's something important... - (deSitter)
                                                             Call that a "missed reference" then. :-) -NT - (ben_tilly)
                     There can only be one? - (Brandioch) - (5)
                         *A* Frickin *MEN* -NT - (folkert)
                         Re: There can only be one? - (deSitter) - (3)
                             Re: There can only be one? - (rickmoen) - (2)
                                 Re: There can only be one? - (deSitter) - (1)
                                     Re: There can only be one? - (rickmoen)
                     Re: GRUB, the only way to fly - (dmarker)

The sleek race lines of an outhouse standing on a garbage scow.
158 ms