IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New I'm subverting from within

As I work in a highly Windows-centric institution, I find ways to slip the OSS message any way I can.

- One semester we discovered that our TCP/IP text (from MS Press, using NT 4) had gone out of print, I seized the opportunity to change to Douglas Comer's 'Internetworking with TCP/IP', the text I learned from in college and still one of the canonical works. I loaded the student PCs with Linux and we used all of the nifty networking tools (including ethereal to examine network traffic) to explore the topic in much more detail than the MS book did.

- The 'sister' course to TCP/IP was Directory Services, so I kept the Linux workstations and we build an OpenLDAP directory service from scratch incorporating Kerberos authentication. The response from my students to both courses was overwhelmingly positive. (In fact, I got an award that term based on my student evaluations.)

I hand out OSS CDs to my students every chance I get. I post links to and encourage them to build their resumes by volunteering for an OSS project.

Slowly but surely it's having an effect. We did a network rearchitecture about a year ago that was budgeted at $80,000 (with Win2K) and we used existing hardware, Solaris 8 and Linux and came in under $10K.

I'm noticing a growing dissatisfaction among students at a steady diet of pure Windows. They see the growth of demand for UNIX skills in the real world and are pressing for more cross-platform experience.

Tom Sinclair

"Everybody is someone else's weirdo."
- E. Dijkstra
New Re: I'm subverting from within
Tom, what can I say? You rule!

I hand out OSS CDs to my students every chance I get.

If I might make a suggestion: [link|http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/index-en.html|Knoppix] CDs. They're addictive.

(It's an extremely full-featured, amazingly good desktop Linux distribution that runs entirely from the bootable CD image. Thus, people can try Linux without installation -- though there's also a beta-level script they can use to copy it onto the hard drive.)

Rick Moen
rick@linuxmafia.com

If you lived here, you'd be $HOME already.
New Second on the Knoppix
I've got 3 floating around here at work now.
Regards,

-scott anderson

"Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson..."
New Heard good things about Knoppix
I'll give it a shot.

Thanks!
Tom Sinclair

"Everybody is someone else's weirdo."
- E. Dijkstra
     Teaching Java on Linux - (tjsinclair) - (7)
         Re: Teaching Java on Linux - (rickmoen) - (6)
             Thanks for the links! - (tjsinclair) - (5)
                 Re: Thanks for the links! - (rickmoen) - (4)
                     I'm subverting from within - (tjsinclair) - (3)
                         Re: I'm subverting from within - (rickmoen) - (2)
                             Second on the Knoppix - (admin)
                             Heard good things about Knoppix - (tjsinclair)

Improvise, hack, adapt, copy, code bloat, modify, morph, contract, cancel contract, stall, prevaricate, codify, vaporware, abandon, do, undo, rollout and beta the user.
91 ms