IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New 3a
I'm thinking that IWE used to have a good approach to archiving. Just setup a target archive page with the forum link moved from the main page onto the archive page. One thing that would be nice is to have the URL for the individual messages not change based on being archived or active - just keep the same forum id. Just keep 'em semi-categorized and datestamped on the archive access page.

An additional question along these lines is whether the permanent forums (Open, Pun, etc...) should be periodically archived off and a fresh forum started. I'm sure all of our first post advocates will need little encouragement along these lines. :-)
New Do you mean 3b?
Separate page option is 3b.

Another option with "freshening" forums is to archive threads within the forum, with a "show archived" option.
Regards,

-scott anderson
New I was thinking that....
...the archive page looks and acts pretty well like the active page, probably just longer with a list of the archived forums. A forum that was active would appear on the main page, whereas any forum that was inactive would be listed on the archive page. IOW, it's not a single forum like quezyboard, but rather it's just a place to dump a link to the old the forums that we no longer want to see on the main page.
New OK, got it.
Regards,

-scott anderson
New agree
I would also suggest just a minor change in URL for historical purposes. For instance just prepend 'archive' to the URL: [link|http://archive.z.iwethey|http://archive.z.iwethey]...
-----
Steve
New Maybe in addition to.
But doing so would break any cross-references in posts.
Regards,

-scott anderson
New Re: Maybe in addition to.
hmm

Is it possible to configure Apache to redirect to a URL mask (as opposed to hard-coded URL) when hitting a link that has changed? ie: if original post at z.iwethey.org... , archived post at arch.z.iwethey.org... could the webserver automatically try the second URL and then finally return the error?
-----
Steve
New I'll have to look into that.
Regards,

-scott anderson
     Archival approaches - (admin) - (16)
         3a - (CrisR) - (7)
             Do you mean 3b? - (admin) - (2)
                 I was thinking that.... - (CrisR) - (1)
                     OK, got it. -NT - (admin)
             agree - (Steve Lowe) - (3)
                 Maybe in addition to. - (admin) - (2)
                     Re: Maybe in addition to. - (Steve Lowe) - (1)
                         I'll have to look into that. -NT - (admin)
         Make sure links don't break. - (Another Scott)
         Option 4. - (static) - (2)
             That's actually 3a :-D -NT - (admin) - (1)
                 Oh. So it is. - (static)
         How about this... - (Don) - (3)
             That's good for topics... - (admin) - (2)
                 For forums as well - (Don) - (1)
                     Hmm... I might like that. -NT - (admin)