IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 1 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Because
No matter how much I know, no matter what I can learn either through training or learning on the job, I can't compete against somebody in India doing it for $20K/year as long as the accountants are running the company. Why pay me more than that when my overall value is ignored; I'm just another cell in a spreadsheet.

lincoln
"Four score and seven years ago, I had a better sig"
New Yeah, but *why* should that make anyone "feel sick"?!?
The alternative, if those jobs *don't* get exported to India, is that some *Indian* programmer goes without a job, in stead of an American one.

Considering the relative economic strengths of the two countries, and the relative strengths of their social security systems(*), that would be probably be even *more* bad for the Indian programmer than the converse situation (and current topic) is for the American one.

So, shouldn't any reasonably compassionate person be *glad* that those jobs are being exported...?

(*): Wow -- *finally* some place that I think the US "Social Security" system might actually beat!
   Christian R. Conrad
Mechanisation

As our souls are slowly stolen
The wheels of progress keep steamrolling
Mechanisation melts our minds
To drive the furnace that drives us blind. -- [link|http://www.vergenet.net/~conrad/poetry/mechanisation.html|© Conrad Parker, 1993]
New Riddle me this, Batman:

The alternative, if those jobs *don't* get exported to India, is that some *Indian* programmer goes without a job, in stead of an American one.

So, can you name for me ANY company in India that has laid off workers and moved jobs to America, just to improve the bottom line, even just a wee bit???
Can you? Didn't think so. But its happening in America more and more every day. If not India, then Mexico, China, Viet Nam, etc., etc. etc.

The dickheads controlling companies today see employees as raw commodities to be used, abused and spit out, ignoring all skills, experience, THE OVERALL VALUE they bring to the company, so that a few bucks can be saved in the annual report. That way the bigwigs can get raises, bigger bonuses, and more grants of options, while the very people who could be their customers AREN'T, because they're UNEMPLOYED. People without jobs don't buy stuff.

lincoln
"Four score and seven years ago, I had a better sig"
New Alternatively: Isn't that what your system is all about?
At least, isn't that what most of you guys keep *saying* it is?

To wit: Don't you guys always jabber on about how the Shareholder and His Prophet, the CEO, are the Highest Authority, unlike God only in that probably more people believe in them than in him nowadays? At least that's what *I* get from DrooK and BeeP and Idunnowhoall, when sometimes I dare suggest that maybe American society has got the power structure tilted a bit too far in favour of the Holy Corporation... Well, "I say"(*): If Profit is the only Good, then More Profit is Better, and Maximum Profit is Best... So _of course_ exporting jobs is a Good Thing to do, if it increases Holy Profit!

And, hey, if it weren't done by Holy Corporation exporting jobs directly, then here's another scenario for how to do it: Godly Shareholder decides to Liquidate the Holy Corporation, take the money he releases, and re-invest it in an Even Holier New Corporation. Then, the Even Holier New Corporation buys the trademarks and Holy Intellectual Property of the old (not quite so Holy) Corporation, and employs its very own *first* set of *original* employees... In India. Not the same Holy Corporation, not the same jobs, so no "job export" at all -- just Holy Capital excercising its Sacred Right of Freedom of Movement.

But exactly the same result -- so why not simplify the process (and, perhaps not-so-incidentally, keep the CEO-Prophet in his cushy job)? What?!? Are you saying that in that case, you might actually want to consider -- in addition to restricting the Holy Corporation's Sacred Right to move its jobs whereverthefuck it wants -- to perhaps also restrict the Godly Shareholder's Sacred Right to move his Holy Capital whereverthefuck he wants?

In that case: Welcome to the European Collectivist Borg Hive Mind!

Good luck converting your fellow Americans to this view.

(*): Hello, Phil Bogus!
   Christian R. Conrad
Mechanisation

To drive the furnace that drives us blind. -- [link|http://www.vergenet.net/~conrad/poetry/mechanisation.html|© Conrad Parker, 1993]
New Watiaminnit
Don't you guys always jabber on about how the Shareholder and His Prophet, the CEO, are the Highest Authority, unlike God only in that probably more people believe in them than in him nowadays? At least that's what *I* get from DrooK and BeeP and Idunnowhoall, when sometimes I dare suggest that maybe American society has got the power structure tilted a bit too far in favour of the Holy Corporation...

Slow down a second. I'll let Bill defend himself, but I can't imagine how anyone would think I don't believe the power structure is tilted too far. Where you and I seem to differ is that you seem to think the government can and should fix this. (Is this an accurate description of your views?) Whereas I think that it's primarily the government that has caused the power to become so concentrated.
===
Microsoft offers them the one thing most business people will pay any price for - the ability to say "we had no choice - everyone's doing it that way." -- [link|http://z.iwethey.org/forums/render/content/show?contentid=38978|Andrew Grygus]
New Chicken / egg?
So then.. as CIEIO salaries have lately become modelled on the obv. Success of a Billy + barbarians (or any criminal group, for that matter) - we have seen the corruption which occurs when most any person is 'paid' hundreds of times more per hour than.. most everyone else who is making an honest living. Was there ever a better historical illustration of the adage, 'power corrupts' ?

Now if you imagine that the 'government' (of the people, by the yada yada) today matches the CIEIO in sociopathic self-interest? - such that you'd *prefer* to let the same Pharaohs continue to *stack the government with paid lackeys in preference to 'our Bad-Government'?

What does that say about (your view of) any hope for restoring the Republic we still love to imagine we have? [notwithstanding PATRIOT and other recent Acts of disassembly].

* stack - I'd suppose that, directly paying the costs of reelection of Corp-copacetic representatives (formerly "peoples' representatives") could be called "stacking" or worse - subornation.

And if neither government nor corrupt bizness Paharaohs are your preference - what is your replacement for the Constitutional Model? [already in process of dismemberment via daily 'modification' for er Our Security and Comfort]

If your plan is good enough, maybe I'll join ya on the barricades - should there actually be a few people left, who liked the Republic and want it back (via All New People under that Congressional Dome, perhaps. But that would require actual informed Citizens who are Interested\ufffd, no?)

Ashton
who sees mostly indifference to the Corporate running of All Things - and especially indifference to the rilly bogus Language employed to rationalize the fact of this change of 'ownership': we so love our euphemisms.
New That doesn't follow
Now if you imagine that the 'government' (of the people, by the yada yada) today matches the CIEIO in sociopathic self-interest? - such that you'd *prefer* to let the same Pharaohs continue to *stack the government with paid lackeys in preference to 'our Bad-Government'?

Yes, I think the incidence of rampant self-interest is just as high in government as in business. How does it then follow that I want businesses to continue the current problem?

Without going into a long explanation of how much I do or don't agree with the Libertarian Party, consider this:

Corporations derive much of their power[1] from the fact that they are considered a legal "person" under the law. Officers of the company are essentially shielded from the consequences of their actions by the fact that everything the company does is considered to be an act of the company. All liability falls to the corporation.

But how do you put a corporation in jail when it is found to have caused a death? Or thousands as in Bhopal? Basically, the whole concept that a corporation gets the same legal protections as a person with (effectively) minimal liability is out of whack.

And now corporations are allowed to petition the government to consider their wishes, and make contributions to political campaigns. But can foreigners (real people) contribute to U.S. political campaigns? Not legally. So why can multinational corporations? They move their headquarters to the location with the most favorable tax environment, then contribute to whatever campaign they wish.

Ok, I'm definitely starting to ramble here. Obviously I don't have a simple solution for this. Like you said, it's now a chicken-and-egg problem. But to suggest that I like the status quo, just because I think the government is an equal partner in the problem, is way off base.

[1] IMO etc etc etc
===
Microsoft offers them the one thing most business people will pay any price for - the ability to say "we had no choice - everyone's doing it that way." -- [link|http://z.iwethey.org/forums/render/content/show?contentid=38978|Andrew Grygus]
New Bingo, I think too.
I believe you've hit that nail squarely. Perhaps this revisiting of the basic rules for Corporations - is about as likely next as any meaningful campaign reform:

short of the aforementioned Mobs with Torches.

(That was a rhetorical question; I didn't imagine that you were unaware of, or *liked* the present con games of the 13,000 who own 3% of the GDP AND the Congress ;-)

Campaign finance reform and redefinition of Corporate responsibility are #s 1 and 2 on my list too. I don't think we have the guts; the jingoistic distractions du jour IMhO further delay ever finding out if we do.

Can we use propane torches, for less pollution?

Ashton
New Yeah, OK, so I may have mischaracterised the problem.
Mr Kime Drewls:
[Quoting me:]
Don't you guys always jabber on about how the Shareholder and His Prophet, the CEO, are the Highest Authority, unlike God only in that probably more people believe in them than in him nowadays? At least that's what *I* get from DrooK and BeeP and Idunnowhoall, when sometimes I dare suggest that maybe American society has got the power structure tilted a bit too far in favour of the Holy Corporation...
Slow down a second. I'll let Bill defend himself, but I can't imagine how anyone would think I don't believe the power structure is tilted too far.
Oh, all right, so you might not be all that wild about the Holy Corporation, per se... But wasn't it you who lectured me, a while back, about how the Godly Shareholder is the basic fundament of any civilized society? Hey, no, hang on -- now that I think about it, that may have been Critter Rathman! Sorry, I just got the two of you confused for a while there.

Anyway, my point (to him, then, and to you only if you hadn't considered this already) was this: If you want to cut the Holy Corporation down to size, you'll have to touch the privileges of the Godly Shareholder too; the two are inexorably intertwined.

Where you and I seem to differ is that you seem to think the government can and should fix this. (Is this an accurate description of your views?)
In a sense, yes: Namely, in the wider sense of "government", as "system of governance". I mean, WTF would you *call* the fundamental way of "how to run a country", if not "government"? And in that sense, a change in "how you run the country" -- specifically, adjusting the Holy Corporations' share of the power, of how much of the country's affairs they actually get to run -- is obviously a change in government.

OK, that may have been a bit too facile... (albeit correct in and of itself). You obviously meant "government" in the narrower, classical, sense of "political machinery of representative democracy".

And in that sense, you're at least half right: I'm far from sure that government in this sense *can* fix the problem (though I certainly *hope* so!), but I sure am convinced that it *should*. I mean, the problem is that the Fat Cats are riding roug-shod over the Little Guy, right? So, what's needed is precisely "democracy", or *some* kind of better representation for the Little Guy -- a seat at the table where the *real* decisions that affect *his* life are made.

And where the heck ELSE would he -- or you -- have even the *faintest chance* of finding (or creating) representative democracy, than in the "political machinery"?!?

Whereas I think that it's primarily the government that has caused the power to become so concentrated.
In the wider sense (cf above), that's of course a truism: The problem IS "government", in that sense.

In the narrower sense (also as per the above)... Yeah, that may be (not that I think it necessarily *is*, but it *may be*) -- but so what? There is NO OTHER alternative, that I can see, for where to transfer the bit "too much" of power over society that the "Godly Shareholder / Holy Corporation / Prophet CEO" triumvirate holds at present, than to the "political" sector.

I mean, where would *you* transfer it to -- the judiciary? Religious institutions? The Meeja?

I don't know which of those alternatives makes one's laugh feel the most sickly...
   Christian R. Conrad
Mechanisation

New {cackle guffaw} Ulp.
Nothing like following Sacred Principles towards --> what they actually Mean, after the dysfunctional TLAs are all shitcanned for a brief moment of precision.

So then - what's your take on the "pack animal phenomenon" in Finland, the rest of Euro? Are avge. citizens you observe as insouciant about local politics as our'n?

Here we are mollified, rendered catatonic via the dangled Murican Dream\ufffd\ufffd ie. remain a good drone in the Worker Caste, believe the slogans and someday.. You too may be reincarnated as Pharaoh! Why.. Anyone can become President! [we have surely proven That one].

What's the Soma in your bailiwick? Do folks around there actually participate in the elections, require actual debates, listen to them and vote against patent BS? Or just bitch a lot in better English syntax?

It isn't working over here; pick any sub-system: 'justice' (antitrust - Hah!), law (jails for profit; Warz on Drugs People yada yada), medicine [too long to fit margins]. My theory is, that the Sages were right: (too-much) Comfort is a Drug. What we 'do' is: shop 24/7. THAT is where the real Interest lies.

Anyway.. thanks for a gem! Beyond my authorization for Brevity Award bestowal. We gets what we'll put up with in exchange for being 'taken care of'. And Boy/Girl are we Being Taken! care of.

Ashton
"When the rich assemble to concern themselves with the business of the poor, it is called Charity. When the poor assemble to concern themselves with the business of the rich, it is called Anarchy."

-Paul Richards
New Alas, it ain't no better here.
Our Elder Philosopher p^Hwonders:
So then - what's your take on the "pack animal phenomenon" in Finland, the rest of Euro? Are avge. citizens you observe as insouciant about local politics as our'n?
Yeah, unfortunately they are, more or less.

Here we are mollified, rendered catatonic via the dangled Murican Dream\ufffd\ufffd ie. remain a good drone in the Worker Caste, believe the slogans and someday.. You too may be reincarnated as Pharaoh! Why.. Anyone can become President! [we have surely proven That one].
Here, it's "Remain a good drone in the Worker Caste, believe the slogans and someday... Your children will be Safe and Secure in the protection of the Cradle-to-Grave Welfare State".

Funny thing is, that's the "SOMA" -- NOT the reality, as all those Merkin Bashers(*) of "European 'Cradle-to-Grave Welfare State' Collectivism" seem prone to think.

What's the Soma in your bailiwick? Do folks around there actually participate in the elections, require actual debates, listen to them and vote against patent BS? Or just bitch a lot in better English syntax?
Naah, I'm pretty alone in bitching at this level of English syntax -- apart from the actual English themselves, that is... :-( Most people don't even do that.

They, just like your ComPatriots(+), swallow the bait, slightly different a bait though it may be, and happily chew the Status Cud.

"When the rich assemble to concern themselves with the business of the poor, it is called Charity. When the poor assemble to concern themselves with the business of the rich, it is called Anarchy."

-Paul Richards
Sounds like a pretty smart guy; who the heck is (was?) he, and why haven't I heard of him before now?

(*): Hello, Bogey-Fake!

(+): Hmm... And they complained about "ComSymps"!
   Christian R. Conrad
Mechanisation

New Well then: ___We Will All Go Together When We Go
[followed by trumpet fanfare] \ufffd Tom Lehrer '50s

[link|http://bookshop.libdems.org.uk/author.jsp?ID=68| Paul Richards] - for one ref.

(At least there are Liberal, Labour parties in UK - along with whatever the Tories are calling selves lately (besides Liege, Sire)). It's bloody insipid crap when there's only our One Party.. which can't figure out what it wants to 'conserve'. Clearly the vaunted US Constitution ain't one of the things)

ComPatriots.. hmm has a ring to it. I See ~~~
I See: The Winter pre-War Schedule !!!
Mud Wrestling in Arena at 11
ComPatriots VS ComSymps [Boo!]

Open rules:
\ufffd dangling participles and insipid slogans permitted
\ufffd that which is not prohibited is compulsory
\ufffd no *definitions* of blab-words required [One Night only!]

Door prize - Choice of
\ufffd John Wayne's first draft deferment notification, in aspic.
\ufffd Herb Caen's original tripewriter in glass-house case.

Well, there's +Fox's Saturday lineup for the winter.

+ Our imported Official Provider of Grossness in Meeja

Ashton
[Seriously though *cough* - I've never before seen the state of 'Language' over here, in such desperate straits. Every public utterance (not as usual - 'just most') is a baldfaced-Lie/Dissemble or the start of a Tissue-of. G\ufffdbbels possessed at least a pseudo-rationale within most fulminations; our 'writers' just spout unpolished turds. And.. hardly a peep, except from the Usual Suspects, who aren't reported anyway.]

Bertie (Russell) had a similar quip,
Advocates of capitalism are very apt to appeal to the sacred principles of liberty, which are embodied in one maxim: The fortunate must not be restrained in the exercise of tyranny over the unfortunate.
     this will make you sick - (lincoln) - (34)
         Why should it??? -NT - (CRConrad) - (12)
             Because - (lincoln) - (11)
                 Yeah, but *why* should that make anyone "feel sick"?!? - (CRConrad) - (1)
                     Riddle me this, Batman: - (lincoln)
                 Alternatively: Isn't that what your system is all about? - (CRConrad) - (8)
                     Watiaminnit - (drewk) - (4)
                         Chicken / egg? - (Ashton) - (2)
                             That doesn't follow - (drewk) - (1)
                                 Bingo, I think too. - (Ashton)
                         Yeah, OK, so I may have mischaracterised the problem. - (CRConrad)
                     {cackle guffaw} Ulp. - (Ashton) - (2)
                         Alas, it ain't no better here. - (CRConrad) - (1)
                             Well then: ___We Will All Go Together When We Go - (Ashton)
         Legislation - (deSitter) - (11)
             Not likely in a Global Economy. - (Andrew Grygus) - (10)
                 Heh.. The "Boys From Brazil" ___Study HVAC -NT - (Ashton)
                 Re: Not likely in a Global Economy. - (deSitter) - (8)
                     Here's a real solution. - (inthane-chan) - (5)
                         One other change - (drewk)
                         That would work - but . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (3)
                             Like I said... - (inthane-chan) - (2)
                                 So what you're really advocating is... - (jb4) - (1)
                                     Naw. - (inthane-chan)
                     Yes, unions were extremely effective . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (1)
                         Re: Yes, unions were extremely effective . . . - (deSitter)
         Sick? No, pleased that other companies are doing it - (wharris2)
         Same thing happened to the clothing industry - (orion)
         Yeah - (tuberculosis) - (6)
             So, tell us: Which one is it? -NT - (CRConrad) - (4)
                 Panama - Bocas del Toro -NT - (tuberculosis) - (3)
                     UM "Because it's ALREADY been illegally attacked by the US"? -NT - (CRConrad) - (2)
                         Plant a teak farm - pay no taxes for 20 years. -NT - (tuberculosis) - (1)
                             Thank Gawd - (Ashton)
             Not a bad idea -NT - (deSitter)

May cause dizziness, rash, diarrhea, difficulty in breathing, loss of consciousness, extreme pain, bloody stools, flaccidity, amputation, blindness, suicidal thoughts, insanity, lesions, boils, bubonic plague, anal warts, vomiting up toads and lizards, violent convulsions, death, and likely poltergeist activity.
71 ms