IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Good and bad scripting.
I think we - as in, us in IWETHEY - are expecting perhaps a little too much from the term "scripting language". DOS Batch files are a scripting language. Not very powerful, true, but they script the running of several programs one after the other, with some logic direction. WordBASIC (as used in Word 2) is a scripting language. Not spectacular, I'll admit, but it easily replaces long key sequences and has some decent if not fantastic logic control. Perl, OTOH, is a scripting language on steroids. Is there anything it can't do? Of course, that is it's attraction.

Wade.

"All around me are nothing but fakes
Come with me on the biggest fake of all!"

New Unix scripting...
To my way of thinking, Perl is an amalgamation of scripting languages - shell, awk, grep, and sed come to mind, with a lot of C syntax thrown in for good measure. If you use Perl for a number of other things, you don't have to drop into these lower level scripting languages, though it certainly helps to be fluent in them as well.
New That is partly how it was designed
It has been said that, Perl is the Cliff-notes of Unix.

Intentionally so. What Larry Wall did is take a lot of useful things from Unix and tried to put them into one package, with somewhat tighter integration. (For instance Unix pipelines are list-oriented with lists being designated as lines. Perl is list-oriented with lists being scalars.)

Larry Wall will be the first to tell you that he isn't very original. But he is a great integrator. And personally I would say that whether you like or dislike Perl, you have to admit that he changed the face of scripting languages...

Cheers,
Ben
     Getting the owning window of an HTMLElement? - (admin) - (35)
         *sigh* - (Fearless Freep) - (21)
             You're a lot of help. ;-) - (admin) - (20)
                 thanks! - (Fearless Freep) - (19)
                     Re: thanks! - (admin) - (18)
                         Re: thanks! - (Fearless Freep) - (5)
                             Last impression - (admin) - (4)
                                 Ahh....forgot that - (Fearless Freep) - (3)
                                     Have you considered telling people? - (admin) - (2)
                                         Are you kidding? - (Fearless Freep) - (1)
                                             Well... - (admin)
                         Excuse me? - (ben_tilly) - (11)
                             Well, they're wrong. - (admin) - (10)
                                 Everything has its place - (ben_tilly) - (9)
                                     Your horse is getting taller by the minute. - (tseliot) - (8)
                                         What is a scripting language? - (ben_tilly) - (7)
                                             Good and bad scripting. - (static) - (2)
                                                 Unix scripting... - (ChrisR) - (1)
                                                     That is partly how it was designed - (ben_tilly)
                                             would scripting languages be anything with an interpreter? - (boxley) - (3)
                                                 Yup, IMO. Oh, and you forgot one: Java. -NT - (CRConrad)
                                                 Not necessarily. - (static)
                                                 I wouldn't draw the line there - (ben_tilly)
         Try '.parent' - (drewk) - (12)
             Nope. - (admin) - (11)
                 Either call from the element itself or pass params - (tseliot) - (1)
                     I passed params. - (admin)
                 My stuff's not in front of me... - (ChrisR) - (8)
                     We own all of the frames. - (admin) - (7)
                         hmmm... - (ChrisR) - (5)
                             No dice. - (admin) - (4)
                                 Non standard - (ChrisR) - (3)
                                     Yes, that seems to work. - (admin) - (2)
                                         Natch - (ChrisR) - (1)
                                             Still some problems with DOM in IE 5.5 - (admin)
                         "All your frame are belong to us"? - (Fearless Freep)

Only Olaf Stapledon ever succeeded on this kind of scale, and Olaf Stapledon is dead.
61 ms