IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 1 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New I.B.M. to Acquire Rational in Big Move Into Software
[link|http://www.nytimes.com/2002/12/07/technology/07BLUE.html|I.B.M. to Acquire Rational in Big Move Into Software]

New I sincerely hope they OS/2 it...
Every instance of Rational software I have seen has been a horror.
I am currently saddled with ClearCase, a terribly overpriced and resource expensive revision control system that is unintuitive, cumbersome, and is an obstacle rather than a productivity tool. Those miserable SOBs want me to reconfigure my machine at an operational level to the detriment of other programs to run their fucking RCS system?
Any further discussion of Rational software should begin in Flames forum.
Pity what happened to OS/2... but possibly worth it if it happens to Rational.

Gahhh,
Hugh

who is not particularly a fan of Rational software...
New Ditto
I am out of the country for the duration of the Bush administration.
Please leave a message and I'll get back to you when democracy returns.
New Jus what I expected...
We are ordered to abandon CVS for ClearCase. Has been a standing order for 1.5 year. No movement yet, but it's pending... and pending... and pending...
--

We have only 2 things to worry about: That
things will never get back to normal, and that they already have.
New Run man run
ClearCase blows chunks. It also costs money (CVS is free) and drags down your whole toolset because its never compatible with the latest OS patches.

New OT: I recently figured out your picture.
Could you possibly reproportion it? You look a bit squished. :-)

Cheers,
Scott.
New OT: Yep, the picture needs to be square to avoid distortion
Alex

"Let others praise ancient times; I am glad I was born in these."\t-- Ovid (43 B.C.-A.D. 18)
New Awright AWRIGHT ALREADY!
You'd think it would be easy to find a photo editor that let you type in and view sizes of cropping rect before cropping - nope - 6 freeware apps later (and an hour and a half of my life shot to hell) I found Photologist. Cropped, uploaded (thank you RBrowser) and profile repointed.

Now kindly piss off about it.

-Formerly Squishy
New Gimp. HTH! :-)
Lookin' good... but now we can't see the scenery...

*duck*
Regards,

-scott anderson

"Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson..."
New Tried that one - core dumps filled up the hard disk. :-P
New On what platform?
And did you file a bug report...? ;-)
Regards,

-scott anderson

New Mac OS X
And the bug was noted in the readme file.
But I found it impossible to work around.
New There...MUCH better!
jb4
"They lead. They don't manage. The carrot always wins over the stick. Ask your horse. You can lead your horse to water, but you can't manage him to drink."
Richard Kerr, United Technologies Corporation, 1990
New I actually saw it run, once
But not on my computer. There were incompatible patches "Oh you need to upgrade to the latest version".... hmmm, has anyone ever seen a Rational executive and a Microsoft executive at the same time?
New Fat chance
With IBM formally canning OS/2, you think anyone (even them) would OS/2 it?
New You may have misunderstood me.
I was hoping that IBM would treat Rational like OS/2, ie. canning it, not porting to it.
New Re: Rational grabs IBM after flirting with MS who planed to
screw Rational by producing their own set of tools after bleeding Rational's ideas approaches. Rational fell for the same MS trap that many other promising companies have fallen for (Siebel is a new candidate for an MS style screwing).

[link|http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/dec2002/tc2002126_6991.htm|Business Week on-line]

(You don't have to sign up to view the above link)

Cheers - Doug M
New Well there goes another big company to the wayside
as IBM just mothballs it next to Lotus and other companies that it bought out. Ask IBM when it will make a version of Lotus Office for Linux or OS/2, and then wait until the luaghter dies down. IBM won't even eat their own dog food, or port it to the other Non-Windows operating systems that they support.

Java is Sun's dog food that they themselves won't even eat. Imagine that!
New Re: Off beam - lets be fair about this

Can you show where IBM failed to meet its finacial targets for its Lotus products.

The company took notes from 100,000 seats to over 1,000,000 seats in about 3-4 years. That seems to me to be a very successful aquisition (you do realise that IBM was primarily after 'notes' - if not then read Lou Gerstner's book published recently where he states the reason for the Lotus buyout and the effect it had on IBM's bottom line).

Cheers

Doug Marker
New OT: Wow, Doug, you're a LOT cuter than I'd have thought! :-)
New naw, floggin one of the grands :-)
will work for cash and other incentives [link|http://home.tampabay.rr.com/boxley/resume/Resume.html|skill set]

Opera was the television of the nineteenth century:loud, vulgar and garish with plots that could only be called infantile. "Pendergast"
New Re: CRC - please accept my appology - was a trick

used to tease Mike in the War on terrorism thread where we are beating each other's brains out over him accusing me of spreading 'Chinese wispers'.

As you can now see I have posted my former pic (stopped using it about 30 months ago).

So in case anyone is wondering about you ref to me being 'cute' I had used Miss HK 2000's pic & left it up for 2 days.

Yes that was naughty & I am guilty.

Cheers

Doug
New Figured; just kidding, "SHE is cute!". No apologies needed.
Expand Edited by CRConrad Dec. 13, 2002, 03:52:21 AM EST
New Re: Off beam - lets be fair about this
Is that your daughter? "Niece"? Agent? Boss? Bookie? Bartender?

Looks kinda like a young Jackie Bisset (ahhh)!
-drl
New Re PIC - See other explanations I posted - BUT, I did find

The pic of you & I at Linux World 1999.

Will ost a link to it later.

Cheers

Doug
New Re: Re PIC - See other explanations I posted - BUT
Put it up! I need a Net reference to my physical existence.
-drl
New OT: Must you be that cute?
It gives me impure thoughts :)
--

We have only 2 things to worry about: That
things will never get back to normal, and that they already have.
New Re: She does me too :-)

As you have probably gather from other posts I used the pic while at war with Mike in the Terrorism thread, Thought I would tease him a bit. Not sure if it woked but it did reply back with a lead in of Kissykissy so maybe it did trigger a reaction <grin>

Anyway as already stated that was Miss HK 2000

Cheers

Doug
New Notes and Linux.
That's a complicated tale. I'm not really sure about this, but I think the actual coders for Notes never were Lotus employees: they are a separate company. I daresay IBM management would probably like a Notes client on Linux, but the Notes coders keep saying "no way". They cite the fact that converting Domino (the Notes server) to Linux was far harder than they expected.

When I was supporting Domino (on Linux) I and a few others kept asking in the Lotus forums when a Linux client would be coming out. It was getting uncomfortable for Lotus to keep saying "probably never". But they wouldn't budge.

Wade.

"Ah. One of the difficult questions."

New Considering just what a bloated piece of...
...shite the Notes client was when I used it (R5) - I'm not surprised they couldn't port it to Linux.

As the [link|http://www.iarchitect.com/lotus.htm|Interface Hall of Shame] states about 4.6, "We wish we found IBM's Lotus Notes a long time ago. This single application could have formed the basis for the entire site. The interface is so problematic, one might reasonably conclude that the designers had previously visited this site, and misread "Hall of Shame" as "Hall of Fame". Lotus Notes 4.6 contains almost every example of inefficient design illustrated thoughout the entire Hall of Shame site."

R5 didn't seem to be much of an improvement over 4.6 - slow, buggy, and horrible - and that's just the e-mail package.

One of these days, I'll have to sit down and figure out why people use it. It probably has to do with the server, because I can't see an ounce of value in the client.
"...the middle of fighting a war against religious extremism is not the time to do something offensive to God." - Some idiot.
New You should have tried 3.x
I was working for a Fortune 100 company at the time they decided to adopt Lotus Notes. They hired Coopers and Lybrand's Notes ubergoob to come and 'splain Notes development to us. He started off by saying, "Before we begin, you must all keep one thing in mind. Lotus Notes does poorly what no other software does at all. Remember that. Lotus Notes does poorly what no other software does at all."

I remember thinking, "Well, with advocacy like that, there's no stopping this product."

New Please, I'm trying to forget! :)
Alex

"Let others praise ancient times; I am glad I was born in these."\t-- Ovid (43 B.C.-A.D. 18)
New I'm not running Lotus' office suite for OS/2?
[link|http://www.lotus.com/products/smartsuiteos2.nsf|Funny, I could have sworn I was...]

Darrell Spice, Jr.

[link|http://home.houston.rr.com/spiceware/|SpiceWare] - We don't do Windows, it's too much of a chore

New Other aspects of the deal:
[link|http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/7/28550.html|http://www.theregist...tent/7/28550.html]

Of equal importance to Microsoft is the loss of Rational's services arm. This $90m business was capable of advising organizations over how to design and implement scalable, enterprise-class .NET systems. Those consultants, while serving .NET inside IBM, will now be constrained when selling against Java by IBM's adherence to Java through WebSphere.

Excellent.

Personally, I *hate* Rational Rose... Borland bought a much better product when they acquired TogetherSoft, IMO. But Rose does sell stuff, and this could be good for IBM's Java business.
Regards,

-scott anderson

I.B.M. to Acquire Rational in Big Move Into Software - (bluke) - (33)
         I sincerely hope they OS/2 it... - (hnick) - (14)
             Ditto -NT - (tuberculosis)
             Jus what I expected... - (Arkadiy) - (9)
                 Run man run - (tuberculosis) - (8)
                     OT: I recently figured out your picture. - (Another Scott) - (7)
                         OT: Yep, the picture needs to be square to avoid distortion -NT - (a6l6e6x)
                         Awright AWRIGHT ALREADY! - (tuberculosis) - (5)
                             Gimp. HTH! :-) - (admin) - (3)
                                 Tried that one - core dumps filled up the hard disk. :-P -NT - (tuberculosis) - (2)
                                     On what platform? - (admin) - (1)
                                         Mac OS X - (tuberculosis)
                             There...MUCH better! -NT - (jb4)
             I actually saw it run, once - (wharris2)
             Fat chance - (wharris2) - (1)
                 You may have misunderstood me. - (hnick)
         Re: Rational grabs IBM after flirting with MS who planed to - (dmarker)
         Well there goes another big company to the wayside - (andy kaufman) - (15)
             Re: Off beam - lets be fair about this - (dmarker) - (9)
                 OT: Wow, Doug, you're a LOT cuter than I'd have thought! :-) -NT - (CRConrad) - (3)
                     naw, floggin one of the grands :-) -NT - (boxley)
                     Re: CRC - please accept my appology - was a trick - (dmarker) - (1)
                         Figured; just kidding, "SHE is cute!". No apologies needed. -NT - (CRConrad)
                 Re: Off beam - lets be fair about this - (deSitter) - (2)
                     Re PIC - See other explanations I posted - BUT, I did find - (dmarker) - (1)
                         Re: Re PIC - See other explanations I posted - BUT - (deSitter)
                 OT: Must you be that cute? - (Arkadiy) - (1)
                     Re: She does me too :-) - (dmarker)
             Notes and Linux. - (static) - (3)
                 Considering just what a bloated piece of... - (inthane-chan) - (2)
                     You should have tried 3.x - (mmoffitt)
                     Please, I'm trying to forget! :) -NT - (a6l6e6x)
             I'm not running Lotus' office suite for OS/2? - (SpiceWare)
         Other aspects of the deal: - (admin)

It's rare that you see crazy outdo crazy so effortlessly.
112 ms