IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Oldest cat I ever had...
19 years old. She and a slightly younger cat (18 years) both died near the same time due to an incursion of fleas.

Very sad -- she had been my cat since I was a little boy. :-(
Regards,

-scott anderson

"Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson..."
New Similar story here.
Cutey and Climber were brothers that we adopted when I was 3-4 years old. Climber (who was technically my brother's cat) came down with feline leukemia when I was around 10 years old - very sad, we thought we were going to put him to sleep. My brother begged to let him have one more weekend with Climber, and when we went back the next week, the leukemia had gone into remission. Never came back, and Climber lived to the ripe old age of 18. He was always skinny, never ate much, but always was very active right into his old age. He just didn't seem to age at all.

I went to Japan one summer, came back, and on the day I got back, we found Climber in the back yard with a shattered hip. He was still alive, but there was nothing they could do for him - they put him to sleep.

Cutey, on the other hand, ate, ate, and ate - and slept all the time. Around 15-16 years old, his fur started to fall out, and he developed a problem with continual scratching of his back, leaving really nasty scabs there. He lived up until the same time that Climber died, then shortly afterwards had the renal failiure. My mother gave him IV fluids and force fed him a diet of chicken and broccoli. He lived for another year and a half before she had him put to sleep near christmas.

Those two cats taught me more about kindness and caring than any other person in my formative years.
"...the middle of fighting a war against religious extremism is not the time to do something offensive to God." - Some idiot.
New New Cat Advice
..not that you need it, but when did that ever stop me? :)

When a cat is a young kitten, for some reason it helps "humanize" the cat to scruff-tote it like its Mom would do. The cat has an instinctive "freeze" reflex when grabbed by the scruff. This also works perfectly when they act up. Also hand-fighting (my favorite cat fun) - flip it over and roughly scratch the belly until it really digs into your hand and mock-bites - the cat knows how much is too much. For some reason this results in saner, less nervous adults.
-drl
New Freeze reflex...
... is also useful for putting the cat where it doesn't want to go. :-)

Keep in mind, however, that eventually the effect somewhat wears off. I found this out to my bloody dismay whilst toting a recalcitrant cat downstairs in that manner...
Regards,

-scott anderson

"Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson..."
     Waiting - (broomberg) - (23)
         Sorry to hear this :-( -NT - (ben_tilly) - (3)
             Ah, don't worry - (broomberg) - (2)
                 you're just the undertaker on this one?(still hard) -NT - (boxley)
                 Well, I thought it was funny - (deSitter)
         Always sad. -NT - (imric)
         Sorry, it's one of those difficult acts for pet owner. -NT - (a6l6e6x)
         Done waiting - (broomberg)
         As a cat owner... - (inthane-chan) - (7)
             Oldest cat I ever had... - (admin) - (3)
                 Similar story here. - (inthane-chan)
                 New Cat Advice - (deSitter) - (1)
                     Freeze reflex... - (admin)
             I've lost two cats - (tjsinclair)
             I had a cat die from liver-failure. - (static) - (1)
                 Cats are just odd - (deSitter)
         I'm too emotional this morning - (wharris2) - (1)
             Re: I'm too emotional this morning - (deSitter)
         Do not read if easily offended - (broomberg) - (4)
             I'm gonna laugh for a long time... - (bepatient)
             Re: Do not read if easily offended - (deSitter) - (2)
                 Just for the smell (after a while), or do you mean... - (CRConrad)
                 Nah, better way - (drewk)
         Yuck. - (rickw)

Messing with brain chemistry is not something to be lightly considered.
110 ms