IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New zIWETHEY goes for "Five Nines"!
We've got that first 9 nailed down solid, but I see the second one is still giving a little trouble. Third one comming soon? :)
[link|http://www.aaxnet.com|AAx]
New Cackle..____________________glorp!
New Yessiree!
I'll go pull the plug and top off that next 9! ;)

Apparently, the power went off sometime over night for longer then 15 minutes (what the UPS will hold it up for), and it was over. I came in to find the firewall belly up with nary an attempt to restart itself, and this box was sitting at a failed fsck on startup. Dropped it down to maintenance mode, ran a manual fsck, reboot, all was well. Came back up with the default gateway missing *again*. Very spooky. I'm not sure what's going on there. Anyone, anyone? Bueller?

Again, sorry for the downtime. I suck, etc... ;)

-Jason

----

My pid is Inigo Montoya. You "killed -9" my parent process. Prepare to vi.
New What kind of UPS?
You should have an auto-shutdown script that runs when the UPS is running for more than 5 minutes.
Regards,

-scott anderson
New Er, Trying to distinguish online...
It looks to be the [link|http://www.apc.com/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm?base_sku=SU700NET&language=en&LOCAL.APCCountryCode=WW|APC Smart-UPS 700].

When I get home (I'm at work now) I'll try to get with you and see if we can't set this up (I haven't a clue), if you have time. :)

-Jason
----

New Sure thing
One of the first things I always do is set up auto shutdown.

For the 700, the software that came with it should have a Linux version.
Regards,

-scott anderson
New Uh oh. ;)
Well, we bought that on ubid.com (awesome deals), and it didn't come with the software. Let me dig through APC's site and see if I can't find it online.

-Jason
----

New Found it!
[link|http://www.apc.com/tools/download/sw_kit.cfm?sku=sdw31|http://www.apc.com/...fm?sku=sdw31]
----

New Beat me to it.
APC are good at getting their software out. Of course, the NT software sucks a bit, but a Linux version is easy to find, and tech specs for hooking it up are also easy to find.

Wade.

"All around me are nothing but fakes
Come with me on the biggest fake of all!"

New Heh.. 'my' server seems to have this running
Nyaa nyaa nyaa ... ... :-\ufffd

(It's an APC too, dunno if 700)

Hi Wade!

Per your comments - looks as if IIS is always 'installed' by W2K Server (until one learns how to nuke all traces) - but it's disabled as a task. I trust that makes it a bit hard to exploit from afar, but I'll eventually try to extinguish.

The 768pp book is mainly about comparing NT w/W2K! and presumes basic familiarity with NT. Imagine how many volumes for the full treatment. Author says the Resource Kit (Mickey's name for a manual) runs

EIGHT THOUSAND PAGES !! (it seems present too) Hah.. No wonder stress is a popular IT topic: they want you to learn The M$ Way, all 16,211 menus. Just for *This* near-obsolete release; presumably start all over in October, if a True Believer. I simply cannot imagine such a massive server wipe & reload every year or 2, with all the arbitrary nomenclature changes apropos the Mickey Rat cutesy-names game (so as never to coincide with standard usage, of course).

Resource Kit InfuckingDeed!

Here's a sample quip (with the O'Reilly bird symbol) from the author, in a chapter re domain controller (gotta put this one in a later report!):
An alternative approach is to upgrade your member servers first, then take a year off to learn in detail how Active Directory works, and finally upgrade your PDC followed by your BCDs. A lot of admins seem to favor this approach!
The sheer mass of kitchen sink, drain pipes, refrig and toaster - crammed into this monolith, staggers the imagination.

Words fail.. for now.

Ashton
TG the &*^#^%#* thing is running.
New Oh I never said it was complete shite...
... just a bit shitty in parts. In particular, it assumes the PC it is running on is being powered by the UPS it is monitering. And there is no way to configure it otherwise. How did I find this out? A place I used to work had several UPSs, each bought as the previous one ran out of capacity. And the oldest UPS didn't have an ethernet card so we had to use the PowerChute software. On a server that wasn't on the UPS in question. And the UPS had a battery failure. And shutdown the (wrong) server. Apart from that, it's nice software.

It sounds like the O'Reilly book is a decent island of Reality in the Microsoft Distortion Field that runs through most Windows Server texts... PDC and BDC shenanigans is only one of the Things Wrong with NT.

Wade.

"All around me are nothing but fakes
Come with me on the biggest fake of all!"

zIWETHEY goes for "Five Nines"! - (Andrew Grygus) - (10)
         Cackle..____________________glorp! -NT - (Ashton)
         Yessiree! - (jlalexander) - (8)
             What kind of UPS? - (admin) - (7)
                 Er, Trying to distinguish online... - (jlalexander) - (6)
                     Sure thing - (admin) - (5)
                         Uh oh. ;) - (jlalexander) - (4)
                             Found it! - (jlalexander) - (3)
                                 Beat me to it. - (static) - (2)
                                     Heh.. 'my' server seems to have this running - (Ashton) - (1)
                                         Oh I never said it was complete shite... - (static)

Please do not spit too loud, thank you.
72 ms