IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Wow... Understatement
[link|http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=6243|DEC's Alpha created HP panic, desperation]

Cool...

Edit: OOPS, wrong headline.

[link|mailto:curley95@attbi.com|greg] - Grand-Master Artist in IT
[link|http://www.iwethey.org/ed_curry/|REMEMBER ED CURRY!!!]

Your friendly Homeland Security Officer reminds:
Hold Thumbprint to Screen for 5 seconds, we'll take the imprint, or
Just continue to type on your keyboard, and we'll just sample your DNA.
Expand Edited by gfolkertold Nov. 16, 2002, 07:24:13 PM EST
New "The worst unix ever delivered"?
I can think of two worse: IBM's AIX and (I think Unisys's) Dynix. Whatever Unisys's flavor was.

Encore also had a pretty sucky unix. When I first saw it, you could crash the system by (I think) entering a Ctrl-L, backspace at a shell prompt. I don't know whatever happened to them, but I've never had anything of that magnitude happen with HPUX.
New Unix?
Aix Isn't UniX is the way I always heard it.
[link|http://www.aaxnet.com|AAx]
New the early versions were a very nice 5.4 port
I think schmitt was what turned it to shit although I have no personally experience with the beast.
thanx,
bill
will work for cash and other incentives [link|http://home.tampabay.rr.com/boxley/resume/Resume.html|skill set]
"Fifty-one percent of a nation can establish a totalitarian regime, suppress minorities and still remain democratic." Correction: All that can be achieved with 51 percent of the voters!" Ilanna Mercer
New Encore
Their primary reason for being was military
flight simulators. Big bucks, few takers.

They had a side business in Unix systems
that emulated mainframe disk.

I bought one. Neat stuff. I was a Unix
geek with my personal disk packs on the
mainframe.

When they tanked, Sun bought them for their
MF disk tech, and create teh Sun A7000 series
to compete with EMC. Failed.
Expand Edited by broomberg Nov. 17, 2002, 12:20:15 AM EST
New Re: Encore
Company I was with had Encore for a while because they offered a (relatively) inexpensive multiprocessor minicomputer, back when SMP was a dream to most Unix vendors. That company actually probably helped them debug their Unix. :=)
New Thats a tough call
All of those are rotten in their own special way.

What is worrisome is how many companies have standardized on HPUX machines - I try never to work there - but some of those are big name telcos (USWest was a victim).
I am out of the country for the duration of the Bush administration.
Please leave a message and I'll get back to you when democracy returns.
Expand Edited by tuberculosis Aug. 21, 2007, 06:34:33 AM EDT
New The most important revelation on that page...
...was of course what was revealed in the link that hid beneath Curly Capellas' face, [link|http://www.umich.edu/~uac/threeweeks/story0b2f.html?fpvol=3&fpiss=8&vol=3&iss=8&sto=1|France Admits...] :-)
   Christian R. Conrad
Microsoft is a true reflection of Bill Gates' personality - the sleaziest, most unethical, ugliest little rat's ass the world has seen unto this time.
-- [link|http://z.iwethey.org/forums/render/content/show?contentid=42971|Andrew Grygus]
New HP-UX patch hell, slow, but reliable
We're currently running HP-UX 11.0 on some K360's we bought off of eBay.

The out of the box load, which we paid $1000 to license from HP didn't work with Java. Had to apply over 100 patches (many were bundled into superpatches, so the actual patch count was more like 20). 4 way 180mhz processors. I/O is very slow out to the SCSI2 disks.

It runs fine, but slow.

The Sun e450 with 2 processors we bought runs circles around the K360, and the 12 is 12x faster on the A1000 disk array, AND we paid $0 for the operating system. Nothing. Sun, now in a financial bind, has started charging for the OS again, but I think it's only $200, so it's still 5x cheaper than HP.

So my recommendation is that you go find you an e250 or e450 on eBay (e250s are running $1,500 to $2,000, and e450s are running $3500-4500), an A1000 or D1000 and you're good to go for less than $5K ( for e250 ). This box will handle probably 20-35 transactions a second, which is more than probably 80% of the applications I find runs. Good TP platform.

And you're not out a lot of money.

I don't like AIX because it seems that the only people that know how to make them perform (or even have documentation for them) are employees of IBM Global Services.

Glen
New So... are you saying...
You aren't *GOOD* enough to get AIX to run Well?

Or are you saying that you are "To GOOD" for AIX? ;)

Nah, I like AIX v4.3.3SR9. It seems very stable, very good at keep things under control. My only gripe was they didn't have even good controls for keep runaway user procs from hsoing the box.

As we all know Oracle tends to do that from time to time, even as a "USER" process. I like usermode land... even when the machines are completely bloated... the somehow still respond and allow you to *USUALLY* fix yur problems.

Of course if you run an IPTABLES script... and you accidentally smoke your connection... Oops... a console visit is in order... ;)

Nuff of me wandering(blathering???)...

New No, I'm saying that...
I don't think I can get documentation and help for AIX the way I get it for HP-UX and Sun.

We run a lot of eBay equipment here, don't have support contracts, and so I basically have to solve everything by the seat of my pants through documentation I DO have, stuff I can get online, and through friends, contacts, and postings on mesage boards.

Now, I'll admit the last time I worked on IBM was back in the pre-Internet days, but it seems that most people "running" AIX don't know anything about it. They defer all the work to PWC or IBM Global Services, or some consulting house with a bunch of former IBM employees.

Greg, you're probably a very small minority of customers who actually "KNOWS" about your AIX boxes.

It may be that IBM has all the manuals online like Sun (we got the manual set when we licensed our HP-UX for HP), but I can say I like HP's ITRC support site A LOT. We have solve a lot of problems by just reading ITRC.

I really don't like IBM's support website, mainly because I rarely get a good answer from it, when searching for DB2 answers. The DB2 documentation is horribly out of date for the equipment we're running. The Quick Beginnings for DB2 UDB only documents kernel settings for machines up to 512 meg. Our loaner V880 has 8 gig! It's not uncommon to find databases with 32 or 64 gigs of memory now. IBM isn't keeping up in the documentation department.

Funny, I haven't even NEEDED to visit the Sun website... I have made one support call on some loaner equipment, and we eventually got it fixed after about 3 tries (mainly trading dump and config files and such). When the hardware guy came out, we were a couple of fix packs behind on Solaris and OPF, so he recommended I download them from SunSolve, so I'll probably be trying that soon.

Maybe I'll post up what I think about SunSolve, too.

My two cents.

New Okies...
IBM has an awful lot of stuff online about UDB. I am thinking you are looking at the "OLD" legacy site for Docs. They recently rounded up the Spreadout Documentation and put related things all together.

Also, most of the Doc CDs are available as an ISO image for you to burn or so on. The site does indeed suck for searching, but I have found that going through and selecting the product and following from there under support gets you alot further than anything else.

New U Do UDB?
So Greg,

Are you a DB2 UDB site? We are on HP-UX and Sun Solaris, as I said before, mainly on what I call our "Garage Sale IT" systems we have.

We actually have a loaner V880 ( 4 way ) and 3910 SAN with 900 megabytes on 16 disks (with 2 hot spares, one per brick, two bricks ). So far, I'm pretty impressed.

We've been testing our application, getting about 1000 tpm on the SAN with DB2 UDB. We're getting 680 SQL Statements per second and about 200 commits per second at peak times.

Originally, the cache was working and we were getting .75 ms disk writes, but now we're getting about 2-2.5 ms disk writes because we've saturated the cache.

We need more disks (spindles) to get more throughput. The fibre channel is about 25% utilized and the 4 cpus run about 60-70%.

Not bad for two day's work, eh?

Tomorrow, we're loading the NEW application with more features (which will be slower than 1000 tpm), and testing it. Maybe I can get it tuned up in the ballpark with the old application.

Glen
New Actually...
Remember I am iwethey.employed-- (unemployed) right now.

At GRCC, things were tested using HP9000 T class machines, Sun E8000 ???(can't remember) and IBM S70.

DB2 on all of them, Oracle on all of them. Best combo we came up with:

DB2 on HP9000 T class machine.

But the "College" in it's infinite wisdom (read Director of IT) Bought IBM S70 and Oracle. IBM, no-one ever got fired for buying IBM. and Oracle cause "EVERYONE" supported Oracle.

So, I have been inside and out of the IBM site for support. We had TSM (formerly ADSM), which has went through a TON of Revisions where the docs were.

Will look for the Linkies for you SIR!

New Give me links...
I've been going through [link|http://www.ibm.com/software/data/db2|http://www.ibm.com/software/data/db2] and then following documentation, support, and download links from there...

I do know about the redbooks site, but much beyond that and you're ahead of me.

If you know of some newer URLS, I sure would appreciate it.

Thanks,

Glen Austin
Expand Edited by gdaustin Nov. 20, 2002, 06:23:19 PM EST
New Placeholder for those links....
Not found but will work on it tomorrow. Not completed. Still looking. Been busy today!

Expand Edited by gfolkertold Nov. 21, 2002, 09:32:07 PM EST
New dup post - sorry
I don't think I can get documentation and help for AIX the way I get it for HP-UX and Sun.

We run a lot of eBay equipment here, don't have support contracts, and so I basically have to solve everything by the seat of my pants through documentation I DO have, stuff I can get online, and through friends, contacts, and postings on mesage boards.

Now, I'll admit the last time I worked on IBM was back in the pre-Internet days, but it seems that most people "running" AIX don't know anything about it. They defer all the work to PWC or IBM Global Services, or some consulting house with a bunch of former IBM employees.

Greg, you're probably a very small minority of customers who actually "KNOWS" about your AIX boxes.

It may be that IBM has all the manuals online like Sun (we got the manual set when we licensed our HP-UX for HP), but I can say I like HP's ITRC support site A LOT. We have solve a lot of problems by just reading ITRC.

I really don't like IBM's support website, mainly because I rarely get a good answer from it, when searching for DB2 answers. The DB2 documentation is horribly out of date for the equipment we're running. The Quick Beginnings for DB2 UDB only documents kernel settings for machines up to 512 meg. Our loaner V880 has 8 gig! It's not uncommon to find databases with 32 or 64 gigs of memory now. IBM isn't keeping up in the documentation department.

Funny, I haven't even NEEDED to visit the Sun website... I have made one support call on some loaner equipment, and we eventually got it fixed after about 3 tries (mainly trading dump and config files and such). When the hardware guy came out, we were a couple of fix packs behind on Solaris and OPF, so he recommended I download them from SunSolve, so I'll probably be trying that soon.

My two cents.

Glen
Expand Edited by gdaustin Nov. 20, 2002, 11:23:30 AM EST
New dup - again

My two cents.

Glen
Expand Edited by gdaustin Nov. 20, 2002, 11:26:04 AM EST
New stuttering?
will work for cash and other incentives [link|http://home.tampabay.rr.com/boxley/resume/Resume.html|skill set]
"Fifty-one percent of a nation can establish a totalitarian regime, suppress minorities and still remain democratic." Correction: All that can be achieved with 51 percent of the voters!" Ilanna Mercer
New Re: stuttering?
I waited a minute or so and it didn't refresh, so I banged it again, thinking it hadn't gone.

Then, it did it again, and I banged it again. Finally on the 3rd try, I got a refresh.

Wow... Understatement - (folkert) - (19)
         "The worst unix ever delivered"? - (wharris2) - (5)
             Unix? - (Andrew Grygus) - (1)
                 the early versions were a very nice 5.4 port - (boxley)
             Encore - (broomberg) - (1)
                 Re: Encore - (wharris2)
             Thats a tough call - (tuberculosis)
         The most important revelation on that page... - (CRConrad)
         HP-UX patch hell, slow, but reliable - (gdaustin) - (11)
             So... are you saying... - (folkert) - (10)
                 No, I'm saying that... - (gdaustin) - (5)
                     Okies... - (folkert) - (4)
                         U Do UDB? - (gdaustin) - (1)
                             Actually... - (folkert)
                         Give me links... - (gdaustin) - (1)
                             Placeholder for those links.... - (folkert)
                 dup post - sorry - (gdaustin)
                 dup - again - (gdaustin) - (2)
                     stuttering? -NT - (boxley) - (1)
                         Re: stuttering? - (gdaustin)

Ain't science wunnaful?
125 ms