IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New this thing of ours is more craft than science
Our bureaucracy and our laws have turned the world into a clean, safe work camp. We are raising a nation of slaves.
Chuck Palahniuk
New It's A Trade
There isn't enough in the way of theoretical results in CS to really stretch the mind. EE has everything - physics, math, a practical skill, and great job opportunities. EEs definitely earn their degrees - lots of work.
New Well.. hyperbolic cosines (!) Once. But-
to hear from Bob Pease and others, via letters in ED - EE now fucking *IS* computer bloody 'simulation' via various flavors of Spice. No assembly of *components, thus feel for the 3-D view, heat transfer consequences.. Little savvy thus - of the subtleties of *measuring*! = 50 different ways to misuse that probe and get a lie!

V. poor appreciation of subtleties of RF. (Little ken of circulating currents in traces, ground-return paths etc.) And to top it off (merely anecdotal, from an avionics guy in FL who was trying to hire an EE, interviewed several)

*Get This*

..er, hardly passing-familiarity with / 'not used it much...' / er 'not much use made of'

Ready?

Ohm's Law !!!

* Heathkit died.. no one *builds* anything - including now many so-called Radio Amateurs (who also need not Know anything about RF either, for lots of automated talk-talk stuff they can get 'licenses' for). They *buy* it, often for Yuppie-sized bucks.

(I'd guess that most suppliers of model airplane kits have expired too - snap-together pre-assembled & painted toys now - add fuel, connect battery and 'fly'. Sometimes both supplied in the kit).

ie I dunno about EE (?) if the aim is to invoke, evoke - original thought (won't even bring in the 'digital' scopes again, aliasing) but add-in: the woeful ignorance of *analog* circuits, such as every digital pulse *also is*.

Sorry - I see 'homogenized' across the board, though just possibly overall - EE might yet provide a tad more variety, and remain difficult enough to exercise brain muscles.

A.

New That reminded me of a cool job
a fellow has in the midwest. He is the noise guy. When local telco gets complaints of intermittent service, static on lines etc and the usual supects are eliminated they call him. His finds the offending transmitter in some of the strangest places. Wonderful Puzzle. Since very few people like to do this I might be able to switch when I get bored of computers.
[link|http://www.800teachme.com/cgi-bin/teachme/viewcourse.cgi?LIS1000544&AZ|earl]
thanx,
bill
Our bureaucracy and our laws have turned the world into a clean, safe work camp. We are raising a nation of slaves.
Chuck Palahniuk
     doc, Ben, everyone - (boxley) - (9)
         Read, "Surely You're Joking, Mr. Feynman" - to him - (Ashton) - (3)
             like the wagon experiment - (boxley)
             Read it to him? - (wharris2) - (1)
                 Different process. Diffferent book. - (Ashton)
         Engineering - (deSitter) - (4)
             this thing of ours is more craft than science -NT - (boxley) - (3)
                 It's A Trade - (deSitter) - (2)
                     Well.. hyperbolic cosines (!) Once. But- - (Ashton) - (1)
                         That reminded me of a cool job - (boxley)

Beer is better than pain.
52 ms