IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Re: Some hints.
If it's NT4, then you should try to put Service Pack 6a on it. If it's W2k, then you should try to put Service Pack 2 on it. Yes, there are different SPs per OS. And that's if you want to keep the OS.

Of course there are different Service Packs. They're different operating systems.

Setting dial-up networking on NT4 and W2k is a reasonably unique proposition.

On W2K it's a snap (all network connections are treated in a consistent manner on W2K). On NT4 it's only slightly more confusing.

But what I think might derail them is that you seem to want to do four or five things all with one NT server: Internet (including firewalling), web server and file server. With only 4 client PCs, I suspect you will get away with it, but NT4 wasn't that good at doing such diverse things all at once. If it gets crashy whilst trying (you should know in a week) then you're asking too much of it.

Nah, there's no problem with this. It'll work.

And creating an Emergency Recovery Diskette for NT4 isn't hard, though I can't remember the command to do it. Unfortunately, it has to put it entirely on one diskette (I don't know why, but can guess). I don't know if it can put it on a ZIP disk. This is different from a Ghost image, BTW.

The command is RDISK and it doesn't have to store everything on a floppy. What it does is store the registry files on the hard disk and the floppy knows where they are.

Ghosting NT4 installations is a bad idea and W2K even more so.

Personally, I think Windows is the wrong OS here; Linux would be a better choice. However, the Linux approach would be more complex to implement (iptables, Apache, and Samba would be a lot of config to swallow, and PPP on Linux can be a bit fearsome for the novice) but hey, it'd work faster and be cheaper. It all depends what you've got more of - time, or money.
--
Peter
Shill For Hire
New I was covering a few extra bases.
Of course there are different Service Packs. They're different operating systems.

I know that and you know that and I know you know that and you know that I kow that; I was being nice to Ashton in case he didn't already know that. :-)

On W2K it's a snap (all network connections are treated in a consistent manner on W2K). On NT4 it's only slightly more confusing.

What I meant, and clearly failed to say, is that in neither NT4 nor in W2k is it like Windows 95. I've not done it in W2k but I have struggled with NT4's method.

Personally, I think Windows is the wrong OS here; Linux would be a better choice. However, the Linux approach would be more complex to implement (iptables, Apache, and Samba would be a lot of config to swallow, and PPP on Linux can be a bit fearsome for the novice) but hey, it'd work faster and be cheaper. It all depends what you've got more of - time, or money.

You're right, of course: Linux is a solution I would normally recommend. But Ashton made noises about perhaps leaving NT so I gave some pointers to that end.

Thanks for the RDISK note, BTW.

Wade.

"All around me are nothing but fakes
Come with me on the biggest fake of all!"

New Dialup in W2K is just like the Internet Connection Wizard.
It's ridiculously easy.
--
Peter
Shill For Hire
New On my way to do some homework..
Peter.. I'm afraid your Shill status is in deep doo doo, as our President might say.

(Nah - allus knew you were a Benign Shill - just takin on the ravin-loonie SillyParty 'Let's Dismember Bill' partisans.. umm nobody I Know ;-)

Thanks both - I had from the first.. the natural, the Decent, the Sane intention.. to get them onto something stable, soon as I can find a local person who is competent.

For now it's just a matter of collectiing info about exactly what they need to do, .doc what they have - keep it walking while - saner approaches can be thought out. Local LUG soon.

On to GTE, etc. I have a big advantage - thus far it's running on auto. All I have to do is see - What it's running on auto. Save Registry first! Er after I log in as..

*Admin* cackle cackle
fdisk /LILO - nope, that won't work.. OK try -

Cheers,

A.
Yesterday I cudnt spel sysadman and now I Are One!
     Let no good deed go unpunished or, [RFQ?] - (Ashton) - (11)
         Some hints. - (static) - (5)
             Thanks Wade. - (Ashton)
             Re: Some hints. - (pwhysall) - (3)
                 I was covering a few extra bases. - (static) - (2)
                     Dialup in W2K is just like the Internet Connection Wizard. - (pwhysall) - (1)
                         On my way to do some homework.. - (Ashton)
         Some hints. - (static)
         A sysadmin's lot is not a happy one.. - (Ashton) - (3)
             SP level clues. - (static) - (2)
                 Thanks - on the list. - (Ashton) - (1)
                     Try looking in Accessories. - (static)

Gotta catch 'em all!
44 ms