IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Please resubmit when sane.
Read what you wrote. Did you actually mean to present such a nonsensical mishmash?
"A civilian gang of thieving lobbyists for the military industrial complex is running the White House. If to be against them is considered unpatriotic -- Hell, then call me a traitor."
-- Hunter S. Thompson
New Hey...he's talking windows...
...that'll make anyone crazy.
You were born...and so you're free...so Happy Birthday! Laurie Anderson

[link|mailto:bepatient@aol.com|BePatient]
New You don't use Windows on LANs very much, do you?
All Andy's complaints make perfect sense to me. (OK, except that I can't really remember if NT was so much better.)

(And his joke on "How come?" was great! :-)
   Christian R. Conrad
Microsoft is a true reflection of Bill Gates' personality - the sleaziest, most unethical, ugliest little rat's ass the world has seen unto this time.
-- [link|http://z.iwethey.org/forums/render/content/show?contentid=42971|Andrew Grygus]
New use Windows on LANs very much, thank you
I don't know if NT was better or just different but sometimes the changes from one to the other get me down
like when you press Ctrl-Alt-Delete to lock workstation the key is now 'k' instead of 'w'
mapping a printer in 2K is slow but fast in NT (in 2K my AD won't let me map to a printer even though they are listed so have to map the old way)

in NT if I installed Office as admin on a client machine where drive C: was FAT and then later converted to NTFS when the user logged in they would be prompted every few seconds for the password for drive C: access

in 2K w/ O2K you can't configure Outlook for the client unless you first configure it as admin (haven't done the XP/OXP trip yet)

but my latest 'thrill' concerns the BIOS
I had to take a machine from 2K to NT (don't tell Bill) and found that NT wouldn't run properly
had to go reload BIOS defaults and re-install
same thing when I took one from XP to NT (sorry, Steve)
which leaves 2 questions:

1) why does the OS write to the BIOS
2) what does the OS write to the BIOS

for all I know there are reasons for these thing

A
Play I Some Music w/ Papa Andy
Saturday 8 PM - 11 PM ET
All Night Rewind 11 PM - 5 PM
Reggae, African and Caribbean Music
[link|http://wxxe.org|Tune In]
New Uhm, eh... The question WAS directed to Don "Silverlock"...
...since he didn't seem to understand what troubles you were talking about -- or indeed, even that that was what you were doing.

"Andrea Dear" writes:
I don't know if NT was better or just different but sometimes the changes from one to the other get me down
Yeah, well, personally I just can't remember these details distinctly enough to be able to say whether your complaints are valid or not. (But at least I *recognize* them as such! :-)

But, Andy, one of these last ones really seems a bit stupid to me:
like when you press Ctrl-Alt-Delete to lock workstation the key is now 'k' instead of 'w'
No, it's the same key it's always been: [Enter]! What, you *really* futz around with letter keys when the button you want is the one that has the efault focus in the dialogue?!? I'd never even noticed what that key was, in *either* version!
   Christian R. Conrad
Microsoft is a true reflection of Bill Gates' personality - the sleaziest, most unethical, ugliest little rat's ass the world has seen unto this time.
-- [link|http://z.iwethey.org/forums/render/content/show?contentid=42971|Andrew Grygus]
New BIOS and NT.
Your BIOS experience has to do with the ACPI support in the BIOS (I think that's right). If it's off when you install Windows 2000 - and probably XP - then there's a core component that is different than if ACPI is on when you install Windows 2000. Of course, NT's support for power management and device enumeration is older and can get confused if things aren't what they seem.

Also, Windows likes to control the PC. The BIOS setting "Plug-n-Play OS" is really misnamed. It should be called "Windows OS" because when it's "on" it sets up the device enumeration in a way that Microsoft insisted Windows needs for it to diddle as it likes. This would also contribute to NT behaving oddly.

Now I'm glossing over stuff here, mostly because there are a lot of details I don't know.

Wade.

"Ah. One of the difficult questions."

New And don't forget the "conflicting credentials" one
So you can only connect to multiple shares on a server as a single user.
New Sorry to say, but I do.
When I responded originally I was under the weather (drunk as a lord). Now that I think on it, the only way to describe the insanity of windows networking must perforce seem insane on it's face.
"A civilian gang of thieving lobbyists for the military industrial complex is running the White House. If to be against them is considered unpatriotic -- Hell, then call me a traitor."
-- Hunter S. Thompson
New Re: Sorry to say, but I do.
Does this mean you recognize the validity of my original comments or not?

A
Saturday 8 PM - 11 PM ET
New Yep
I accept. Don't know about calling questions comments, but so what.

What is your network built on? NT, 2000? Is Active Directory in use? How was the admin login done (Local or Domain.)?
-- Hunter S. Thompson
New HA HA er HO HO er HEE HEE
Saturday 8 PM - 11 PM ET
New Sorry about that.
-- Hunter S. Thompson
     Windows networking - (andread) - (12)
         Please resubmit when sane. - (Silverlock) - (11)
             Hey...he's talking windows... - (bepatient)
             You don't use Windows on LANs very much, do you? - (CRConrad) - (7)
                 use Windows on LANs very much, thank you - (andread) - (3)
                     Uhm, eh... The question WAS directed to Don "Silverlock"... - (CRConrad)
                     BIOS and NT. - (static)
                     And don't forget the "conflicting credentials" one - (scoenye)
                 Sorry to say, but I do. - (Silverlock) - (2)
                     Re: Sorry to say, but I do. - (andread) - (1)
                         Yep - (Silverlock)
             HA HA er HO HO er HEE HEE -NT - (andread) - (1)
                 Sorry about that. -NT - (Silverlock)

We've spent the past two years building up an immunity to Iocaine!
51 ms