IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Re: I am upset aout the attack for many reasosn

The Balinese were in general delightful people. This is a terrible blow to them and their economy. We had business dealings with them and knowing people who ran businesses in Denpasar, Kuta & Senur areas (we used to stay in Senur.

I still find the timing of the attack to be bizzare.

I have made may posts over the years about how wild Indonesians can get (running a mok (amuck)). Killing Chinese as national sport. But bomb attacks against forigners are not their style & also Bali is not Muslim & Australia is not really a target for Muslims in the way that such an attack could or would achieve anything but odium for Muslims.

Al Qaeda are actually quite predictable in that their attacks have been exclusively either US, US forces or US economic targets (there was strong evidence a hit team had gone to UK to fly planes into the house of parliment & big ben).

I will still raise the question as to who might be behind the attack - but may may never really find out for sure.

Cheers]

Doug

New Ditto.
The target doesn't fit al Queda at all.

It could be another group.

It could even be that another group has recently picked up an al Queda operative hiding since we invaded Afghanistan.

But a nightclub? At night?

When there is a US embassy in the city? With US officials on staff.

It seems that the only thing this attack will do is to push formerly resisting governments into supporting US strikes against "terrorist" nations and such.
New Re: Ditto.
Maybe he didn't like the band.
-drl
New Or....
The bouncer wouldn't let him in 'cause he didn't fit the dress code?
New This totally inappropriate remark
is still funny as hell :-\ufffd

Only the toxic-cleansing balm of humor can save us from the Fact of Dubya as the fucking

leaderofthefreeworldn'stuff\ufffd
New Disagree,
It's a target of opportunity.

Let's face it. Night clubs would be an abomination to the al Queda. Cultural imperialism and all that. They could see it as a subversion of Indonesia's primarily Muslim culture. Also, the Hindus can't be allowed to be successful while promoting sin and debauchery. Besides, no reverent Muslim would be within miles of such an area and only infidels will die.

The US related sites are probably well guarded and this kind of event will make it necessary to spread and thin out the security forces. Then the US targets will be easier to get.

Time will tell. Someone is celebrating now and will claim responsibility.
Alex

"In America, anybody can be president. That's one of the risks you take." -- Adlai Stevenson (1900-1965)
New Yes it is, but they don't do "targets of opportunity".
At least, they haven't before.

They plan for months or years to take out a target.

They have people willing to give their lives to deliver the bomb.

I'm not seeing that here.

Yes, it is a site that is the opposite of just about everythng al Queda believes in.

But they've had more opportunities to bomb nightclubs in the past and they've never done so.
New Wasnt the German nightclub an one of theirs?
will work for cash and other incentives [link|http://home.tampabay.rr.com/boxley/resume/Resume.html|skill set]

"Therefore, by objective standards, the leading managers of the U.S. economy...are collectively, clinically insane."
Lyndon LaRouche
New Re: Not that I ever read anywhere ...
In questioning the group responsible for this attack, I believe it fair game to consider some covert ops 'group' could be considered responsible for these reasons ...

1) The nature of this attack - not typical Al Qaeda by any measure
2) The incredible political timing of the attack in regard to Australian Iraq politics in support of Bush
3) The fact that this attack will harm Indonesia a lot more than Australia - Indonesia had been disputing the US ambassador in regard to his pressure than Indonesia harboured terrorist elements. The Indonesians kept saying that there was no credible Al Qaeda threat within the country - now the Indonesians are on the back foot.
4) The economic harm to Indonesia and Bali in the short to medium term will be devestating. It may even prove crippling if the world perceives that the 'terror' threat hasn't gone away.

But again the point I 1st made (and is still there) was that it could either be Muslims from Java or some covert op people intent on redirecting public opinion. If it were Muslims from Java I doubt it was an approved Al Qaeda attack. I think people are beginning to forget what Al Qaeda is/was about.

It is clear that the target was more than just Aussies as there were Brits , Kiwis, Chinese etc: etc: that were killed there. Bill, you usually offer good insights when you think, can you give an analysis of how this attack could hurt Australia. Being from Australia and knowing this region well, I just can't come up with any rationale as to how this attack hurts Australia politically or financially.

This bombing has achieved quite a bit but mostly in the opposite direction to what many people perceive. The only real losers are Indonesia, the Balinese & the poor tourists caught up in the middle. The Muslims in Indonesia look like losing from this as well as will ay group than can be *labelled* as Muslim extremists. Australia loses nothing politically & financially apart from the citizens & wearing the agony of the losses. I will leave it to the reader to consider who might gain greatly or greatest, from this incident. Had this attack occured in Australia, I might have quite a different view - embroiling Indonesia in the terror just does not gain these groups one iota of benefit.

Cheers

Doug

#added point 4 & expanded last para
Expand Edited by dmarker2 Oct. 14, 2002, 06:02:56 AM EDT
Expand Edited by dmarker2 Oct. 14, 2002, 06:14:11 AM EDT
New On covert ops in general.
I used to think that stuff like that Just Didn't Happen. And if it did, it would come out in the public, 'cause you just can't keep a secret.

In my last stint at Microsoft, my roommate was an ex-special forces guy from the Gulf War. He always had this far-off look, like he was remembering something that caused him a lot of pain, and he would sometimes start crying for no obvious reason. When Sept 11 happened, he really started freaking out, and made some cryptic comments about some kind of covert action he was in during the Gulf War - and even dropped some hints it was U.S. on Allies attack to justify certain actions that were taken.

When his emotions calmed down, he clammed up, and refused to talk any more about it. I didn't push either...
End of world rescheduled for day after tomorrow. Something should probably be done. Please advise.
New Risk / benefit
Personally, I don't think this bombing would pass a risk / benefit analysis for a covert operation.

Of course, such things have been done, and not just by the U.S.. The British government had the hold of the Lusitania (an armed and armored cruiser disguised as a passenger ship) filled with munitions, had all American passengers transfered to that ship, used political pressure to hold up publication of a full page warning by the German Government, and ordered the captain of the Lusitania to change course to pass directly in front of a known Uboat to be torpedoed, with great loss of American lives.

Evidence of the course change messages was erased (except at one relay station that erased the message text but left recorded the times, dates and Lusitania destination). The captain was put on trial for neglegence, but the judge eventually realized it was a fix and acquited him. That judge was banished from the bench by the British Crown.

The British government, presented with the evidence, officially admitted most details of the operation back in the '70s.
[link|http://www.aaxnet.com|AAx]
New Risk / benefit analysis assumes intelligent direction
The fact that it doesn't make sense rules out neither Al-Quaida nor, umm, that one guy in the funny shaped room.
----
Whatever
New Simple, intelligent aim: sow chaos. It worked. Works.
New Clarification?
Which nightclub?
New Look at it from another angle.
Indonesia has a very well developed home grown bunch of Islamic radicals that hate everyone just as much as Osama does (did?). There was, if I recall correctly, considerable griping about a year ago due to Osama and company stealing the spotlight and messing in local Indonesioan affairs.

I see absolutely no conflict with this job NOT being related to Al Queda, but being an Islamic Jihad operation.

We should have TTC signing in pretty soon to tell us how much we all deserved this. Perhaps he will fill in some of the details.
[link|http://www.aaxnet.com|AAx]
New Au contraire.
The [link|http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/middle_east/july-dec97/egypt_11-17.html|Luxor Egypt] terrorist attack was similar in targeting. [link|http://www.adl.org/terrorism_america/bin_l.asp|Osama...]
gradually became more and more affiliated with Egyptian Islamic extremist groups, such as Egyptian Islamic Jihad.
Osama's right hand man, and perhaps the man in charge now, is Ayman al-Zawahiri of Egypt's Islamic Jihad. You may recall the Islamic Jihad wanted to make Egypt a religious state. And, Indonesia as we know has a Jemaah Islamiah, faction, linked to Al Queda, with similar goals. Also the Abu Sayyaf guerrillas in the Philippines.

Al Queda has a larger scope and has a menu of things they can do.

Check your [link|http://www.heraldnet.com/Stories/02/10/10/15929850.cfm|local paper].
Alex

"In America, anybody can be president. That's one of the risks you take." -- Adlai Stevenson (1900-1965)
New Re: No, those attacks were aimed at their own govt

These islamic extremists killed Sadat & have tried to kill Mubarak (the current PM). They ere at that time happy to bring down their own county's economy.

It is not impossible that such elements are emerging in Indonesia but to give that line credit is to ignore the more obvious ones.

Cheers

Doug
New One more tidbit.
When Australian troops were in East Timor, which is predominately Christian, in support of that country's transition to independence from Indonesia, Osama bin Laden, the Qaeda leader, publicly accused Australia of being on a crusade to break up Muslim Indonesia.
On second page of [link|http://www.nytimes.com/2002/10/14/international/14BOMB.html?pagewanted=2|NY Times piece]. (iwethey:iwethey)
Alex

Expand Edited by a6l6e6x Oct. 13, 2002, 11:21:52 PM EDT
New Re: Guess what - Osama was right - Oz was ...
stepping in at US behest to counter the growing power of Muslim elements in Indonesia.

The facts are ...

After end 2nd world war in a joint military meeting of key nations controlling the Pacific it was agreed that countries that couls become independant were & were to include:- Indonesia, Vietnam, Burma, Thailand, Malaysia/Singapore, Australia, NZ, (etc:), and also eventually Figi, Samoa, Tonga & Papua-New Guinea could become independant, *but* no other nation would be allowed to break their colonial bonds unless part of the approved nations (French Polynesia is a case in point - no independance & backed by all Pacific power nations).

When Portugese pulled out of Timor after a leftist coup in the homeland, they created a problem. The problem was that leftwing elements from Portugal had gained influence in the Fretlin who were the leading party in Timor. Apodeti, the pro Indonesian group had next to none. [link|http://www.defence.gov.au/army/asnce/history.htm|Short history of East Timor] (this document is very sobering reading).

The US gave Indonesia's Sukarno the green light and the weapons for them to secretly invade East Timor to put down the Fretlin takeover. Australia was told to pull its head in and shut up (at the time there was a new Labour (left wing) govt in power in Australia & Gough Whitlam was PM - he did exactly as he was told 'shut-up' & he also shut up the mouths of the union movement who were incensed by the Indonesian actions - Sukarno invaded but the world was told that there was no invasion but that loyal Indonesian elemnts (APODETI & UDT) were fighting the Fretlin.

Now in the 2000s we have US telling Australia to put heat on Indonesia to allow Timor to have a referendum on independance (approx 1/3 of Timorese population had been slaughtered between 1970s & 1990s by Indonesian army).

US had discovered that East Timor had large oil reserves (go use google to check) and that by promoting independance for Timor, it would fragment Indonesia's growing Islamic militancy. Bin Laden followers had been sponsoring the attacks on Christians in Ambon & got behind the growing war (going on since the 1960s)in
Aceh province ([link|http://www.geocities.com/aroki.geo/0208/INA-aceh0207.html|Ache - Indonesia's civil war]

The Indonesian's were royally pissed off at the about face from Australia& US over Timor, but they had handled the situation so badly (tried to kill/export the remaining Timorese after their vote for independance) and had failed to grasp that the US no longer supported them in Timor. In short order they failed to track the shift in their own fortunes as US did in perceiving that Indonesia was the plump, prime goal for Bin Laden's Andalusian empire of the East. Indonesia was as I said 6-12 months ago, a smoking timebomb (one can search our own archieves on these posts).

It is a fact that Australia became the proxy fighter to wrest Timor away from Indonesia despite US having once told Indonesia to go invade Timor, & that US would help them & help hide the deed. People like Marlowe who live in fairy-land re covert ops & world history & politics, can't wrap their brains around facts like these but whilst I have no idea what qualifications Marlowe has to judge international events by other than possibly reading comic books, I was an Air Defence officer in the Air Force when most of these earlier events took place & can provide anecdotes & stories & links to details that back up these points. I was there at the airbase in Australia that sent USAF U2s on spying missions over Indonesia (The 57th Weather Recon Squadron).

Cheers

Doug Marker

Just going to add this self justification - particularly re events in Indonesia...
If at times I seem harsh to people (such as Marlowe)who open their mouths & step in where angels fear to tread (often up to their necks in their own crap), it is because I am usually speaking from in-depth awareness of the events being discussed and will have concluded that they know f***-all about the topic. Am willing to give them leeway based on inexperience, youth and lack of travel in the hope they will learn but if they (like Marlowe) keep crapping piles of obvious s*** I will rub their own noses in it.
My major was in modern history & it has been a speciality ever since. Studying cults & religions was a later speciality. The south East Asain region is a particular area of expertise. It has helped enormously by living in & visiting nearly all S/E countries.

#2 Added the following links re US oil etc: interests in Indonesia

[link|http://www.pacificnews.org/content/pns/2001/aug/0813stakes.html|Exxon & Aceh]

Excerpt ...

" In Indonesia, maintaining territorial integrity means continuing the Army's bloody repression campaigns in the oil- and mineral-rich provinces of Aceh and West Papua.

The RAND and CFR papers argue that revenues from these areas are vital for a stable Indonesia. They are also the sites of two of the largest U.S. investments in Indonesia:

* in Aceh, the Exxon-Mobil natural gas facility, which according to the Wall Street Journal, produced nearly a quarter of Mobil's earnings worldwide in the early 1990s
* in West Papua, the huge mining development of Freeport-McMoran

It is hard to imagine that any campaign to insure territorial integrity in these areas could be compatible with democracy and human rights. Some 6000 people have been killed in Aceh in the last decade -- more than 1000 of them in the last six months .
"

" The Pentagon continued to train Kopassus secretly as part of another program until all U.S. aid was finally terminated in 1999, after a paramilitary rampage, orchestrated by army units including Kopassus, killed more than 600 East Timorese. "

[link|http://www.isnet.org/~djoko/Reformasi%201998/Time%201/KillingFields.html|Reality alert as to who does what in Indonesia (Time Magazine)]

"
Reasons for that silence include Indonesians' fear of the authoritarian Suharto, the complicity of many of them in the butchery, and the break-a-few-eggs ethos of the Cold War. Unlike the Khmer Rouge, Suharto's army did not monopolize the killing duties -- it also whipped up a frenzy of anti-communist, anti-Chinese sentiment and then distributed arms and lists of suspected communists to civilian Indonesians, urging them to wipe out the country's 3.5 million-strong Communist Party (PKI). Suharto's willing executioners, then, may number in the tens if not hundreds of thousands.

One Day, Son, All This Will Be Yours... Suharto pictured with son Tommy, then 5, in 1968. The Suharto family were among the biggest beneficiaries of the wave of economic growth presided over by the president following the bloodbath of 1965-6. (AP photo/Warbung/stf)
The West remained silent as Indonesia's army and its civilian militia went from town to town, rounding up suspected communists and ordering them to dig their own graves before killing them; sometimes decapitating the bodies and displaying the skulls. Teachers and other civic leaders were forced to draw up death lists of influential townsfolk (which many of them did in order to save themselves and others); while, in the words of a subsequent British intelligence report, the victims were "often no more than bewildered peasants who give the wrong answer on a dark night to bloodthirsty hooligans bent on violence." Eventually -- whipped up by the official anti-Beijing propaganda -- the mobs turned on masses of apolitical Indonesians of Chinese origins.

"

[link|http://www.truthinmedia.org/Bulletins99/tim99-9-6.html| Who trained the Kopassus Army death squads in Indonesia]

I won't add any more such reports - I don't want to cause poor Marlowe to die from a fit of appoplexy. (actually, it may not matter because there are probably far to many 'big words' for him to comprehend).

Expand Edited by dmarker2 Oct. 14, 2002, 06:45:46 AM EDT
New Re: Guess what - Osama was right - Oz was ...
Doug, I guess next time Andrew will have to add you to the list of who will tell them "they deserved it".

Facts, history and past actions seemed unimportant to some when it's time to reflect and analysize what happened, especially after tragic incidents like 9/11 or this.

It's so clear cut to them that it's DEFINITELY the other party's fault.
New How amusing
I rarely peek into this forum. But now I look, and see a post by [link|/forums/render/user?username=TTC|TTC]. My immediate reaction is, "Hey! A new poster!" And then I look to see how new, and go, "Huh? How did I miss this guy."

Well it appears that I don't read here much, and you have actually been actively posting for a while now. So here is a delayed welcome aboard.

Cheers,
Ben
"Career politicians are inherently untrustworthy; if it spends its life buzzing around the outhouse, it\ufffds probably a fly."
- [link|http://www.nationalinterest.org/issues/58/Mead.html|Walter Mead]
New Re: How amusing
Thx... been ard for quite a long time... since IWE... don't always post since Ashton usually sums it up rather eloquently, and with Brandioch providing the "taunts", I'm "redundant"... :)
New I guessed some of that
I just had no idea whether you read the rest of the site.

Cheers,
Ben
"Career politicians are inherently untrustworthy; if it spends its life buzzing around the outhouse, it\ufffds probably a fly."
- [link|http://www.nationalinterest.org/issues/58/Mead.html|Walter Mead]
Expand Edited by ben_tilly Oct. 14, 2002, 11:17:31 PM EDT
New Hardly
redundant. Thanks for the compliment. I recall particularly Masterful ;-) summing-up of yours re some brouhahas in the 'Regulars VS IW Management' - a while back. Another belated, Welcome Back!

Pity that none of our screeds can ever get debated, thus perfected - in that rather wide venue which IW once had, then blew intentionally - for all standard bizness MBA reasons. Oh well.

Besides, find self in a rut on several topics; need new ideas: only solution to a Major source of discord in the universe I can find after mulling - is still, nuke Redmond. Effective but not very nice; must be the hate enviro rotting my sensibilities too..

Cheers,

Ashton
     Indonesia: - bomb in Bali kills many Australians ... - (dmarker2) - (36)
         Re: Indonesia: - bomb in Bali kills over 100 (many Aussies) - (deSitter)
         check the french first - (boxley) - (6)
             Re: Just as 9/11 was to you, this is a major event to us ... - (dmarker2) - (5)
                 Re: Just as 9/11 was to you, this is a major event to us ... - (deSitter) - (2)
                     Re: A good call - (dmarker2) - (1)
                         Insufficient data at this time? - (hnick)
                 You're one to talk about glib and vague. - (marlowe) - (1)
                     Re: Another Marlowe 'hit-and-run' with no substance - (dmarker2)
         Yeah, everything's the Americans' fault somehow or other. - (marlowe) - (2)
             Re: Cut the blanket crap - deal with specifics - (dmarker2)
             Start bot; script to JingoBells boilerplate; send troll -NT - (Ashton)
         This event to you is the same as the world trade center for - (boxley) - (24)
             Re: I am upset aout the attack for many reasosn - (dmarker2) - (23)
                 Ditto. - (Brandioch) - (22)
                     Re: Ditto. - (deSitter) - (2)
                         Or.... - (Brandioch)
                         This totally inappropriate remark - (Ashton)
                     Disagree, - (a6l6e6x) - (18)
                         Yes it is, but they don't do "targets of opportunity". - (Brandioch) - (17)
                             Wasnt the German nightclub an one of theirs? -NT - (boxley) - (6)
                                 Re: Not that I ever read anywhere ... - (dmarker2) - (4)
                                     On covert ops in general. - (inthane-chan) - (3)
                                         Risk / benefit - (Andrew Grygus) - (2)
                                             Risk / benefit analysis assumes intelligent direction - (mhuber) - (1)
                                                 Simple, intelligent aim: sow chaos. It worked. Works. -NT - (Ashton)
                                 Clarification? - (Brandioch)
                             Look at it from another angle. - (Andrew Grygus)
                             Au contraire. - (a6l6e6x) - (1)
                                 Re: No, those attacks were aimed at their own govt - (dmarker2)
                             One more tidbit. - (a6l6e6x) - (6)
                                 Re: Guess what - Osama was right - Oz was ... - (dmarker2) - (5)
                                     Re: Guess what - Osama was right - Oz was ... - (TTC) - (4)
                                         How amusing - (ben_tilly) - (3)
                                             Re: How amusing - (TTC) - (2)
                                                 I guessed some of that - (ben_tilly)
                                                 Hardly - (Ashton)

We sell COFFEE-flavored coffee.
178 ms