IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Norm, in 'ere mate
I've had a think about your inexplicable slowdowns on W2K and there are a couple of things that spring to mind.

Firstly, in a Windows 2000 network DNS is the primary method of name resolution.

Therefore, you need to check that your DNS settings are correct, in particular your domain suffix.

Secondly, are all the resources which have drives mapped to them on servers that are actually up?

Thirdly, have you got a big pile of stuff in My Network Places? Try clearing this out (make a note of the contents so you can put it all back if need be). The reason for this is that Windows tries to check the contents of this during file open/save operations.

Fourthly, First Post.
--
Peter
Shill For Hire
New But, at least,...
not a gratuitous first post! :)
Alex
New If it ain't useful for Norm...
... then it will be useful to me.

I'll go a-hunting. DNS could well be to blame since the DNS it points to has no knowledge of the local PCs.

Wade

"All around me are nothing but fakes
Come with me on the biggest fake of all!"

New Name Resolution
In a native W2K network DNS is the ONLY method of name resolution; NetBIOS is there strictly for backwards compatibility with NT4 and 9x.

In a mixed network, you're likely to be using WINS and DNS together.

So check out the WINS server - occasionally WINS records can get messed up, and need tombstoning off the server, especially if a hostname has changed IP and somehow neglected to tell the WINS server about it.

The other thing to check on a W2K DNS server is that it is configured to allow dynamic updates. If you're paranoid, turn on secure updates - that will only allow authenticated workstations to update the DNS server.
--
Peter
Shill For Hire
New Eh...
I dunno about Norm, but my network has precisely one (1) W2k machine. The server is RedHat 6.2. The other workstation is RH 7.1 the laptop is WinMe, and the other two PCs are both Windows 95.

It's looking like something not quite square in my Win2k networking. I'll go rummaging and try a few things. (And DNS update is already turned off.)

Wade.

"All around me are nothing but fakes
Come with me on the biggest fake of all!"

New You're going to be wanting...
...to get your NetBIOS naming working.

Those Win95 boxen mean that that's the way name resolution is going to work.

Things to check : all boxes have NetBIOS bound to the same protocol (I suspect that as you've got a Linux box in the mix that this will be TCP/IP) and they're all in the same workgroup/domain.

--
Peter
Shill For Hire
New Re: Norm, in 'ere mate
The DNS settings are correct, I verified this with the system administrator, as is the Domain settings. The servers are actually up, I have tried each drive and was able to access it. My network places only has the LAN setting, nothing else.
"I can see if I want anything done right around here, I'll have to do it myself!"Moe Howard
New Update!
My system just received a message that it located a duplicate IP on the network. Most likely the network guys messed something up. We are supposed to have a Dynamic IP by DHCP, but if someone else is getting a dupe of the IP I am using, then something must be wrong? Grrrrrrrr!
"I can see if I want anything done right around here, I'll have to do it myself!"Moe Howard
New Re: Update!
Question. Do you have a DHCP served IP address? "IPCONFIG /ALL" will reveal this.

If you do, then the other host is at fault. If you don't , YOU are.
--
Peter
Shill For Hire
New DHCP served IP address
which means that they set up a static IP wrong on another workstation. Curses!
     Norm, in 'ere mate - (pwhysall) - (9)
         But, at least,... - (a6l6e6x)
         If it ain't useful for Norm... - (static) - (3)
             Name Resolution - (pwhysall) - (2)
                 Eh... - (static) - (1)
                     You're going to be wanting... - (pwhysall)
         Re: Norm, in 'ere mate - (orion)
         Update! - (orion) - (2)
             Re: Update! - (pwhysall) - (1)
                 DHCP served IP address - (orion)

On bassline: Martina Nav... Navri... gosh, I wish she'd get married.
88 ms