Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New New functionality (is this better?)
Links now do some interesting things...

1) targets are no longer allowed
2) an additional link is added for all anchor tags, with a target of "_blank"

Like this:

[link|http://z.iwethey.org/forums/render/forum/show?forumid=6|A Link To This Forum]

Comments? Concerns? Definitely not set in stone, but please see how it sits with you.
Regards,

-scott anderson

"Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson..."
Expand Edited by admin Oct. 9, 2002, 10:59:24 PM EDT
Expand Edited by admin Oct. 10, 2002, 10:32:16 AM EDT
New Note on new functionality:
zIWT now saves an original copy of your post in addition to the scrubbed version, if your original is not the same as the scrubbed version. So edits will still have what you typed in originally.

The upshot of this is that I can now do some really nifty things, like Ben's tag protocols and the like. The only downside is that the code that does the link scrubbing is an external python module, which means I need to restart Zope to make changes (doh!) unless I can figure out how to reload an external module within Zope.
Regards,

-scott anderson

New That sounds promising :-)
"Career politicians are inherently untrustworthy; if it spends its life buzzing around the outhouse, it\ufffds probably a fly."
- [link|http://www.nationalinterest.org/issues/58/Mead.html|Walter Mead]
New Don't much care for it
But [link|#|what] happens [link|#|when] we use lots of [link|#|hyperlinks]?

Right click and click, or middle click, or a number of other shortcuts are easy enough IMO.
--
Chris Altmann
New Would shorter [text] help? Maybe " [NW]" or something?
I agree that it might get distracting. A shorter text listing, or even an agreed-upon icon or symbol like [□] (a text box) might be appropriate. Or maybe some fly-over text that could be turned off in the user preferences.

It's nice functionality for those of us who don't remember all of the keyboard tricks.

Cheers,
Scott.
New Seconded, shorter text -- try just "New window"
===
Microsoft offers them the one thing most business people will pay any price for - the ability to say "we had no choice - everyone's doing it that way." -- [link|http://z.iwethey.org/forums/render/content/show?contentid=38978|Andrew Grygus]
New How about an IE smart tag? >:)
NW in a smaller font might be OK, as well as an option to turn it off too. I just don't see the need for it when browsers all have an easy way (some, like Mozilla, with one click) to accomplish the same thing.
--
Chris Altmann
New I take it back.
I'm already getting used to it (and using it). Shorter text would still be nice though. Insidious! ;)
--
Chris Altmann
New Shorter text is already there...
Just not for posts created before I made the change.

Now it looks like [link|http://z.iwethey.org/forums/render/content/new?contentid=56012|this].
Regards,

-scott anderson

New AHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!! Much better.... MUCH!

greg - Grand-Master Artist in IT,
curley95@attbi.com -- [link|http://www.iwethey.org/ed_curry/|REMEMBER ED CURRY!!!]

Your friendly Homeland Security Officer reminds:
Hold Thumbprint to Screen for 5 seconds, we'll take the imprint, or
Just continue to type on your keyboard, and we'll just sample your DNA.
New I do tabbed browsing...
So it is a distraction... I like the idea though... just... execution is not right yet...

Right now I push the middle button with moz and it comes up in a new tab anyway I do it... either link. Plus the signatures that have links in them, do the same thing...

Jury is still out on this one so far, execution is the only issue here I believe... can you make it a "user" preference? if not we gotta finger out a different implement. I would believe the best way would be shorter text (or small stacked text)... but then still make a user preference...

Great job so far... Keep it up... Build it and they will come... just don't plow under then cornfield just yet...

greg - Grand-Master Artist in IT,
curley95@attbi.com -- [link|http://www.iwethey.org/ed_curry/|REMEMBER ED CURRY!!!]

Your friendly Homeland Security Officer reminds:
Hold Thumbprint to Screen for 5 seconds, we'll take the imprint, or
Just continue to type on your keyboard, and we'll just sample your DNA.
New Thanks!

Imric's Tips for Living
  • Paranoia Is a Survival Trait
  • Pessimists are never disappointed - but sometimes, if they are very lucky, they can be pleasantly surprised...
  • Even though everyone is out to get you, it doesn't matter unless you let them win.
New I'd Prefer...
... an all or nothing option. Something along the lines of a user preference that allows you to set whether you wanted targeted url's or non-targeted. This is more an individual preference. I fall on the side of disliking popup windows during the normal course of clicking on a link.

As for the current solution - inserting text into the message stream that gives the targeted link - I'd have to say that it's distracting from my end. Not that the idea doesn't have merit, but I really think you are trying to solve an issue that is a problem on the client browser side.
New I prefer Chris's preference

Many fears are born of stupidity and ignorance -
Which you should be feeding with rumour and generalisation.
BOfH, 2002 "Episode" 10
New Changing my mind...
...after using it for a while I'm gettting used to those [*]. For the non-mouse challenged, might I suggest an even short * - not sure the brackets really buy you much.\r\n
New You don't have to...
... there is a user preference for it now.
Regards,

-scott anderson

New How about
doing the link the "normal" way, and add a separate link labeled NW(or whatever) immediately following it?

Mockup using underline - LINKED ARTICLE [nw]

Darrell Spice, Jr.

[link|http://home.houston.rr.com/spiceware/|SpiceWare] - We don't do Windows, it's too much of a chore

New functionality (is this better?) - (admin) - (16)
         Note on new functionality: - (admin) - (1)
             That sounds promising :-) -NT - (ben_tilly)
         Don't much care for it - (altmann) - (6)
             Would shorter [text] help? Maybe " [NW]" or something? - (Another Scott) - (5)
                 Seconded, shorter text -- try just "New window" -NT - (drewk) - (4)
                     How about an IE smart tag? >:) - (altmann) - (3)
                         I take it back. - (altmann) - (2)
                             Shorter text is already there... - (admin) - (1)
                                 AHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!! Much better.... MUCH! -NT - (folkert)
         I do tabbed browsing... - (folkert)
         Thanks! -NT - (imric)
         I'd Prefer... - (ChrisR) - (3)
             I prefer Chris's preference -NT - (tseliot)
             Changing my mind... - (ChrisR) - (1)
                 You don't have to... - (admin)
         How about - (SpiceWare)

Dang a lang, dang a lang.
67 ms