IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 1 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Odds n' Ends
Ok. So I'm officially unemployed. Been working for a startup company that's been paying me quite well with a nice bonus in the past week for completion in a timely manner. Financially, I'm well off enuf to last for 12 months w/out additional income. Still, I'd rather have some income.

A company I worked for over 3 years has contacted me to run their benefits & pension plans. Seems that Hewitt was charging them millions for service that was inadequate and unresponsive. The company sought outside contracts but the service charge was still in the millions and that time frame was in multiple years.

I'm wondering whether I should charge the company a "lot" of money for my services based on the fact that I will save them millions and make their data directly accessible. Or whether I should consider that the alternative is a soft tech market. One thing is certain, I'm the only one that can bring the data "in house" and do it within a reasanable amount of time (by Nov. 1st).

Anyone have any opinions? Should I go for the money? Or should I go for the security?

One thing's for certain, If I go with them, I'll be there for years, though after the first 9 months it'll be a walk in the park (giving me lots of time to participate here and other places).

New Speaking of jobs....
...Scott, I never heard how your employment situation situated out. I know you got some leeway in terms of time, but did you find some alternative prospects.

I have to admit that I've never, ever, done the same domain twice. I always make it a point to seek out new territory. But it seems with the current economic recession (depresssion?) that the domain knowledge is the number one commodity, and with knowing that your aero knowledge is second to none- well you know the conclusion!!!
New Still out.
Tried to find some things on guru.com et al, but never got a response.

I have some interviews next week, though.
Regards,

-scott anderson
New Good luck!
I hope that you find something. The interviews sound like good news, I hope you pass them!
"I can see if I want anything done right around here, I'll have to do it myself!"Moe Howard
New Re: Still out.
Best of luck mate!
qts
New 2 cents from an outside observer.
Hi Cris,

It sounds like you've got a good opportunity even in the face of being out of work. Congratulations. :-)

You ask whether you should charge a *lot* based on what you'll save them, or less based on the soft market.... I think it depends.

Based on your description, your work will make the company very happy and you're the only one who can do it in a timely manner. But you don't want the managment of the company to view you in the same light as Hewitt (overcharging). And you don't want some PHB to decide that they need to save what they're paying you and hire one of Norm's "ex-dot-com guy" coworkers to take over for you...

Maybe Andrew Grygus has some thoughts on pricing situations like this that he can share...

Ideally, I think, you should ask them what they'd be willing to pay for you to do the work and take the negotiations from there. Perhaps you could up the price if there was an agreement for you to work 3-6 months for 75% of what their initial offer, but 125% after a satisfactory performance review at the end of that period. Something like that.

I think the initial pricing is in their hands. They have to decide what the project's really worth to them. Once a number is on the table, then you can haggle over how it should be adjusted.

Finally, my guess is that either you'll get the job or you won't. In that sense, your pricing of the job will have little to do with your security there. If they're convinced you, and only you, can do the job and you'll save them lots of money, then only something screwy should keep you from getting the job. If they hire you and things become dire enough that they have to get rid of someone who is saving them millions, then the company is in very dire straights - so your cost would also be irrelevant.

My gut feeling is to ask for a fair price. You want to leave the door open for future opportunities, not get the reputation as a great guy who charges a diamond-encrusted, platinum wrapped price. :-)

I hope this helps a bit. Best of luck!

Cheers,
Scott.
New Or charge a % of the previous contract.
Think about what 10% of their previous contract would be.

Is that a good price for you?

They're saving 90% and getting a better system.

Which makes it easy to sell up the chain.
New Going for security...
Supposed to go sign the papers this afternoon, so it's almost a done deal. I did manage to get them to sweeten the deal a little, and I suppose if I was a risk taker, I could probably get them to up the ante quite a bit more. But with tech sector in a tailspin these days, though, I think I'll go for the sure thing.

Besides, if I have to deal with one more headhunter, I'm liable to go ballistic. :-)
New Congrats! Hope it's a good gig.
     Odds n' Ends - (CrisR) - (8)
         Speaking of jobs.... - (CrisR) - (3)
             Still out. - (admin) - (2)
                 Good luck! - (orion)
                 Re: Still out. - (qstephens)
         2 cents from an outside observer. - (Another Scott) - (3)
             Or charge a % of the previous contract. - (Brandioch)
             Going for security... - (CrisR) - (1)
                 Congrats! Hope it's a good gig. -NT - (Another Scott)

I wanted to request installing a suggestion box at work, but I had no way of doing it.
45 ms