IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 1 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Support Your Local Bookstore
I use Amazon to get ISBNs etc. then special order what is not in stock through my local store. I end up paying 10% more but it goes to a brick and mortar place in my neighborhood with real live people - neighbors - behind the counters, who also must eat, sleep, breathe, and copulate.
-drl
New insert used into the sentence and shop there first. thanx
will work for cash and other incentives [link|http://home.tampabay.rr.com/boxley/resume/Resume.html|skill set]

qui mori didicit servire dedidicit
New Sorry, but I dont want that. I want a book.
I can't stand waiting for them to eat, sleep, breathe, and copulate before I get my book.

Adapt or die.

Many fears are born of stupidity and ignorance -
Which you should be feeding with rumour and generalisation.
BOfH, 2002 "Episode" 10
New Patience both virtuous and healthy.
..it's healthy.
-drl
New Patience is not the issue
The issue for me is not patience--it's cruft.

Disintermediation is a wonderful thing.

BOfH, 2002 "Episode" 10
New Then Let's Halt All Local Commerce!
That way we can spend all our time in church!
-drl
New Heh..
You fancy illuminating the Me/Now generation about patience ?! (let alone about the unintended local consequences of the evident monopolization of everything)

Noble thought, though.

{sigh}
Ashton
New so they work somewhere else
I bet Fed Ex will be hiring as more online purchases are made.

Most of the stuff(over 90%) built where I work is for customers that are not located in the same city we are. We build end products for other companies. It's more efficient for them to outsource to us than it is for them to build it themselves and deal with labor, inventory, purchasing, etc. overhead.

B&M places are finding ways to counter online purchases. Most bookstores I've been to now have other reasons to go there, care for a cappuccino? Kinda hard to Fed Ex that :-)

Darrell Spice, Jr.

[link|http://home.houston.rr.com/spiceware/|SpiceWare] - We don't do Windows, it's too much of a chore

New Goose/gander then: ___IT?_/_McDonalds will do for next gig
That would be "working somewhere else" wouldn't it?

Ashton
New Am there now
Used to do the high tech stuff, now I carry stuff around.

This is a net loss to the economy, by the way - I produced far more value in technology than I do as an expedited courier.

More fun in a lot of ways, though...
----
Whatever
New Been going on a long time.
There used to be lots of people involved in the procurement of food. Should we turn back time and stop using tractors to grow food?

Mass production put people out of work because it was more efficient. A major benefit was products now cost less to consumers. How's this different from Amazon be efficient than B&M?

While there is turmoil when changes happen, people do find other work, often in new fields that didn't exist before. Most of us here are working in one of those new fields.

Darrell Spice, Jr.

[link|http://home.houston.rr.com/spiceware/|SpiceWare] - We don't do Windows, it's too much of a chore

New If you are content to see your local shopping area
consist in 3? 5? years of, about 5 logos - owned, run, 'responding' to customers from some Mega-Corp Office whose fone answerers are in Bangladesh - by all means ignore your local stores. Save x%. Lose -?- Whatever.

Reminds me of a cartoon ~ last year, Sunday Paper (about the last vestiges of any wry commentary, in Big meeja) For Better or Worse - a long running kinda soap.

One character was talking over the fence to a neighbor. Neighbor had remarked about the nice new Big bookstore where she'd driven a ways, purchased some books that day. Then she noted the hour midweek and asked the character, "hey, hows come you're home this afternoon?"

She replied, well, I go in Tues and Thurs now - where I work at the local bookstore. Not enough business.

(Yeah it's those messy workers people again - they do so get in the way of Overall Efficiency and homogenization of resources!)

Ashton

Oh about the food: eaten a tomato lately, ie the chemically-red but way-green and tasteless substitute in your local supermarket? Cheap was it? yeah. Good to eat.. guess it depends upon if you've ever eaten a Real one. I haven't bought one in many years. Some local folks grow real ones though. So yes: we may need a lot more / and smaller groups of / people growing real food. Hmmm maybe nutrition could account for the growing dumbth.. naaah. This way is Way-more Efficient. For accounting purposes and, to some.

(We won't even talk about single-crop effects upon the soil, and how long you can fake it with chemicals. That'd be a book (which my neighbor could write; is, in fact - with proof from his experimental fields.))
New not moi iffen ya dont count protein
ignore the glowing beef.
Maters are local, run to plant city in one more month for strawberry flats at 3.5 dollars. Fight the local fruit rats for the grapefruit in the Backyard. Told em straight out save me half or the traps go out, oranges in 1 month. Mellums galore.
thanx,
bill
will work for cash and other incentives [link|http://home.tampabay.rr.com/boxley/resume/Resume.html|skill set]

qui mori didicit servire dedidicit
New Tomato(e)s, rant away. Books, those dont change much
If you are content to see your local shopping area consist in 3? 5? years of, about 5 logos - owned, run, 'responding' to customers from some Mega-Corp Office whose fone answerers are in Bangladesh - by all means ignore your local stores. Save x%. Lose -?- Whatever.

Fill in that last question mark and we can have a discussion. Otherwise, it's just pontification, and you know how us young 'uns hate pontification.

BOfH, 2002 "Episode" 10
New Reason I Brought It Up
We have - had - two viable, privately owned bookstores here. One is now a Borders. The other is struggling to stay alive, but I know the owner and he resolutely refuses to be bought out. So if he gets extra cash from me, it's a good thing. As for having to wait, there are usually several special orders in the pipeline so I get my fix on schedule.

I predict Amazon will open brick and mortar stores within the year and crush Borders and Barnes/Noble. The Wal-Mart of media. Yucko.
-drl
New Around here Border's IS a local store.
They started in Ann Arbor, and are still headquartered there. And their policies are nothing like Walmart's.
Regards,

-scott anderson

"Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson..."
New Scott should like this one from the Daily Show
Jon Stewart was talking about Bush's latest speech. Showed the clip of him saying (roughly) that there was no threat we face that Iraq isn't also perpetrating. Stewart said, "Wow, the Wal-Mart of evil. Wait ... Wal-Mart is the Wal-Mart of evil."
===
Microsoft offers them the one thing most business people will pay any price for - the ability to say "we had no choice - everyone's doing it that way." -- [link|http://z.iwethey.org/forums/render/content/show?contentid=38978|Andrew Grygus]
New I *do* like that one.
Regards,

-scott anderson

"Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson..."
New Actually I Like Borders
It's Amazon B&M that will be like Wal-Mart.

(BTW Amazon stock is a good buy.)
-drl
New What, got some stock you want to offload? ;-)
End of world rescheduled for day after tomorrow. Something should probably be done. Please advise.
New Thinking of Buying
-drl
New I understand that DR
It just sounds like clinging to the old faith to me. It's not that the new is intrinsically better, I just fight the idea that older means better. In my experience, you end up trading old evils for new ones anyway. I'm sorry your friend didn't prepare for change. Capitalism's a bitch.

BOfH, 2002 "Episode" 10
New Yes - when regulation fails to curb its guaranteed excesses.
Did I hear a Rant-call within the noise? OK

In those whose allegiance is to abstract theories, as are employed to obfuscate limitless greed - clearly humans are Nothing if they don't fit a variable in the equation. And these ones are humans' lawful prey.
The Bitch Goddess Speaks

:-\ufffd
Assurons-nous bien du fait avant que de nous inqui\ufffdter de la cause -- Fontenelle (Michel Merlin) [cackle]
(Let us make sure of the facts before being concerned with the cause)
     Why I will continue to shop at Amazon - (tseliot) - (32)
         You are correct - (SpiceWare) - (2)
             Okay, I have to admit I used DDD - (tseliot) - (1)
                 Your welcome! - (SpiceWare)
         Oh, by the way - (SpiceWare) - (1)
             Thanks! I will. - (tseliot)
         But one warning - (ben_tilly) - (1)
             I buy from amazon.co.uk. - (static)
         Name recognition, as well as service? OMG. -NT - (wharris2)
         Support Your Local Bookstore - (deSitter) - (22)
             insert used into the sentence and shop there first. thanx -NT - (boxley)
             Sorry, but I dont want that. I want a book. - (tseliot) - (4)
                 Patience both virtuous and healthy. - (deSitter) - (3)
                     Patience is not the issue - (tseliot) - (2)
                         Then Let's Halt All Local Commerce! - (deSitter) - (1)
                             Heh.. - (Ashton)
             so they work somewhere else - (SpiceWare) - (15)
                 Goose/gander then: ___IT?_/_McDonalds will do for next gig - (Ashton) - (14)
                     Am there now - (mhuber)
                     Been going on a long time. - (SpiceWare) - (12)
                         If you are content to see your local shopping area - (Ashton) - (11)
                             not moi iffen ya dont count protein - (boxley)
                             Tomato(e)s, rant away. Books, those dont change much - (tseliot) - (9)
                                 Reason I Brought It Up - (deSitter) - (8)
                                     Around here Border's IS a local store. - (admin) - (5)
                                         Scott should like this one from the Daily Show - (drewk) - (1)
                                             I *do* like that one. -NT - (admin)
                                         Actually I Like Borders - (deSitter) - (2)
                                             What, got some stock you want to offload? ;-) -NT - (inthane-chan) - (1)
                                                 Thinking of Buying -NT - (deSitter)
                                     I understand that DR - (tseliot) - (1)
                                         Yes - when regulation fails to curb its guaranteed excesses. - (Ashton)
         Ok, maybe I will give it a try. - (orion)

Certainly mighty proud to say, I'm always mighty proud to say it.
85 ms