IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Here's the trick:
My mom is offering a low-interest 4 year loan of around 12k - and that's more money than my wife and I will be able to pull together any time soon due to her student loans and my recent unemployment. It's a one-time deal - she's retiring soon, and she needs the money back.

Now, from reading the conversations here, it looks like the value of HOUSES stays relatively constant, but the value of the LAND is the variable value. So, let's say we take advantage of my mom's largesse, buy a house in the boonies where the house is 90% of the expense, and when the market implodes, we don't lose all that much money, AND we have some equity saved instead of rent, where we can jump to a better location.

Now, if this doesn't work, (and I have a feeling I'm leaving something out of the formula) then let me know I've been smokin' a bit too much of the Peruvian marching powder...
End of world rescheduled for day after tomorrow. Something should probably be done. Please advise.
New Quick questions to ask yourself.
Paying back your mom's loan in 4 years is about $250/month. How easily can you afford that? Remember your other debts, and how badly you would feel if you couldn't pay your mom back in time.

How does rent compare to a mortgage+taxes+upkeep on a house?

How much does it increase your expenses to live out of the country?

How overvalued is the real estate market where you are?

As for the value of houses versus land, that depends heavily on the amount of local regulation. In markets with little regulation the price was essentially the price of land plus the cost of building a house. In markets with lots of regulation the cost was much higher than that, and there was far less of a correlation between the size of the lot and the price of a house. Neelk had a beautiful link on that a while ago which I cannot find right now, but several of the papers [link|http://www.bus.wisc.edu/realestate/facstaff/pub-malpezzi.htm|here] hint at that result.

As for whether that applies locally, you can decide better than I can. And I can only guess whether a general housing bust would tend to sink all boats. Or for how long. (If you plan to own a house for 10 years, then short-term considerations matter a lot less than if you plan to own it for 4.)

Personally I wouldn't buy a house right now. But I don't know your circumstances, and there is a big element of guesswork involved in that. So buying a house might be reasonable for you, or it might not.

Cheers,
Ben
"Career politicians are inherently untrustworthy; if it spends its life buzzing around the outhouse, it\ufffds probably a fly."
- [link|http://www.nationalinterest.org/issues/58/Mead.html|Walter Mead]
     What's your thoughts on buying a place in this econ? - (inthane-chan) - (38)
         Re: What's your thoughts on buying a place in this econ? - (deSitter)
         Keep in mind... - (admin) - (5)
             Exactly what happened to me - (drewk) - (2)
                 One other thing though... - (admin) - (1)
                     Student loans are already a deduction. - (inthane-chan)
             Also, keep in mind property taxes. - (a6l6e6x) - (1)
                 Interesting facet of Michigan tax law: - (admin)
         What doe s Marysville look like for housing and how far is - (boxley) - (1)
             One big problem. - (inthane-chan)
         Beware the bubble - (marlowe) - (16)
             Less chance of a bubble in residential real estate - (drewk) - (11)
                 Seattle == Silicon Valley/2 - (inthane-chan) - (6)
                     We're looking to sell soon. - (Brandioch) - (5)
                         Hey, where do you work, anyways? - (inthane-chan) - (4)
                             One Convention Place -NT - (Brandioch) - (3)
                                 LMAO! - (inthane-chan) - (2)
                                     Week after is the soonest. - (Brandioch) - (1)
                                         Need contact info... - (inthane-chan)
                 Nearly 100% chance IMO - (ben_tilly) - (3)
                     Re: Nearly 100% chance IMO - (deSitter) - (2)
                         Yes -NT - (ben_tilly) - (1)
                             Econ Laureate LRPD: Unintended consequences -NT - (Ashton)
             Commented on that in my original post. - (inthane-chan) - (3)
                 Doesn't add up - (drewk) - (2)
                     The houses aren't what's causing it. - (inthane-chan) - (1)
                         OK, I get it. In the 70s that land would be 2 dozen lots. -NT - (drewk)
         You need to compare it to the alternatives. - (Another Scott) - (2)
             Something else re: condos - (drewk) - (1)
                 To add another twist: - (admin)
         Don't - (ben_tilly) - (2)
             Here's the trick: - (inthane-chan) - (1)
                 Quick questions to ask yourself. - (ben_tilly)
         Totally depends on when and where - (wharris2)
         Rent is a ripoff - (tuberculosis) - (4)
             Re: "mortgage payments are equity" - (a6l6e6x) - (2)
                 Thought about it - (tuberculosis) - (1)
                     No need for 20% down to avoid PMI. - (Another Scott)
             Don't forget to factor in: - (wharris2)

I would never pay to play something like this.
56 ms