IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Lost Nuke
Ok, this is just freaky.

[link|http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5744,2566427%255E401,00.html|http://www.theaustr...E401,00.html]
----

My pid is Inigo Montoya. You "killed -9" my parent process. Prepare to vi.
New Two words.
Fuck.
Me.

I *REALLY* hope they get that thing out of there, and they come clean about any other misplaced ordinance they may have let slip...
"What do I care for your suffering? Pain, even agony, is no more than information before the senses, data fed to the computer of the mind. The lesson is simple: you have recieved the information, now act on it. Take control of the input and you shall become master of the output."
New The nuke outside Savannah?
been known about for years, folks seem to think that moving it is more dangerous than leaving it. Make a nice hole if it ever goes off.
thanx,
bill
Our bureaucracy and our laws have turned the world into a clean, safe work camp. We are raising a nation of slaves.
Chuck Palahniuk
New Some specs on the MK-15
For those living nearby..

It was first tested in the Castle series in So. Pacific. A relatively 'dirty' bomb relying more on Pu, U-235, U-238 fission (and tamping) than fusion effects.
Yield was between 1 and 3.5 MTons - later classified as a 3.75 MT weapon = pretty damn big for any routine city-flattening.

In service '55-'65 and after ~'57 (as with the one lost) an improved 'safing' scheme added: Mod 2. It's 11'7" long, 34" diameter and weighs One Ford Explorer UAV ~ 7600#. Only two fit in a B-52; maybe only one in a B-47 (?)

Interesting as to the 'safing'. This is a dumpy looking cylinder, precursor of the modularized cannisters to come. No way in hell I can see that you could get near, remove - any Pu capsule of any kind - in flight.

On ground, retrieving a baseball of Pu, -235 from center of precison installed (surrounding) complex explosive layers - would likely be a few-hours task.

So.. the recollections of the quoted armaments officers are relevant, and records should certainly reveal the exact state of that bomb. Not that we should expect the truthful reporting of those records.

My mere guess would be that, 'unarmed in flight' might constitute, a physical switch, perhaps panel-access removal even: of something - which would render it impossible for the explosives to possibly achieve the simultaneity necessary for an implosion to occur. Would also interrupt and likely 'ground' the leads to all the electric detonators.

After all these years.. who could know what 'mechanical' condition the detonators are in - not mercury fulminate but still.. twitchy. Today's side-sonar? might find the discontinuity in 6' of sand ? Ask Ballard / Titanic.

But it's an interesting question what 40 years might have done.. and whether newer tech makes possible amateur recovery of the fissionable core - damn the explosion risk: if you got it into a sling and brought it like eggs somewhere, very slow cutting would likely give access and each detonator could be gingerly removed along with its surrounding outer layer of plastic explosive.

Not so large a risk if yer doin it for God, Allah or Whomever Wants you to nuke Disneyland. Now as to Redmond... ... .. well - not only loonies could envision a fine Use for this Techno Marvel.

I think I'd like them to spend Billy's chump change and retrieve this sucker - its apparent drop point is just too well known and - techno 'finders' of the future are a rilly Big [?]. That capsule with today's nuke lore now in every looney's bin - seems like an attractor for the Righteous Ones comparable to.. IIS for the other brands of disturbed ones.

But then - they won't ask me. Either.

A.

Meanwhile, we could sorta let Bally know..

Say there Messrs. B... guess what: -- we found it! and -
New Robo boo boo
>> Documents reveal the search was called off when another hydrogen bomb was accidentally dropped near Florence, South Carolina.<<

Sounds like they kept making the same mistake over and over.

Lesson: DON'T USE LIVE NUKES FOR PRACTICE! Put a lead blob in there that weighs the same.

Also, If they locate it, then wouldn't it be possible to use remote robotics to dig it out and move it to a safe detonation distance? I am not saying robotics would be cheap, but neither is nuking a shore.

Is the decay rate of the materials involved enough to render it unexplosive after 40 years? It's not as if you can put a bomb in a bunker and expect it to explode fifty years later, there has to be maintenance and such. (That's one reason the US has reason to be slightly optimistic in the event some rogue Russian general launches ICBM's at us; their current economic decay has not allowed them the resources to adequately maintain their arsenal.)
French Zombies are zapping me with lasers!
New Yes and no.
This vintage may or may not have used Tritium as a fusion enhancer (half-life 12.3 years) along with Li-7 (stable), though that would have been a bit early. No problem with the Pu or U. 10K+ years for Pu-239.

No doubt mechanical parts flaky and the explosives no longer trustworthy for exact performance. And it must be exact or it fizzles - then massive contamination as consolation prize.

But the physics doesn't change, nor likely would the sphere need even machining. You'd construct something new and your implosion lens would be as good as your intelligence collecting (and whether you knew how to use the fast _tron switch devices. Hell, we somehow let some of those gadgets from Berkeley Nucleonics get to Saddam's crew, a few years back).

You would get valuable insight into the layered different-velocity machined explosives, on disassembly. A chem analysis would confirm what materials you needed to find - fresh. If builder had knowledge of the multi-element later designs (?) could even increase yield...

No question that there'd be plenty to salvage after even 50 years - but work, after a quick drying out? Nahhh. Well.. how close would you want to stand for such a trial, though?

A.
New Re: Thank god I am on the otherside of the planet

Any of you folks down there in the deep south have our symapthy.

Hmmm, but just perhaps we here are all gonna die from toxic waste in the harbour or pollution from Shenzhen - or cholera from Mong Kok restaurants - or bird flu from local chicken meat - or falling concrete blocks from illegal additions to buildings - come to think of it, every time I visit causeway bay It takes me 3-5 days to resume normal breathing.

- maybe Alabama ain't so bad - even with a muddy nuke hiding off-shore !!!.

Cheers

Doug Marker

New Right, and, the main danger from nukes . .
. . is still from the ones that haven't gotten lost yet.
[link|http://www.aaxnet.com|AAx]
New LRPD says: "Thanks for playing..."__________:-P
New Mine said: First came the dinosaurs,
but they got all big and fat and died.
This is my sig. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
New Funny you should say that.
I will be zipping by Savanah, GA tomorrow on way to Jekyll Island, GA for a few days. Possibly close enough to see the mushroom cloud.
Alex

Life is a comedy for those who think and a tragedy for those who feel.
-- Anne Frank
New "No detonation was observed."
Yeah, I guess *somebody* would have noticed...
   Christian R. Conrad
The Man Who Knows Fucking Everything
New That's blindingly obvious.
"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." - Friedrich Nietzsche
New Re: Lost Nuke
Hmmm... wasn't there a bomber lost off the coast of Spain? And who knows how many the Soviets have lost.
qts
New US sub as well
Our bureaucracy and our laws have turned the world into a clean, safe work camp. We are raising a nation of slaves.
Chuck Palahniuk
     Lost Nuke - (jlalexander) - (15)
         Two words. - (inthane-chan)
         The nuke outside Savannah? - (boxley)
         Some specs on the MK-15 - (Ashton) - (1)
             Robo boo boo - (tablizer)
         How viable? - (wharris2) - (1)
             Yes and no. - (Ashton)
         Re: Thank god I am on the otherside of the planet - (dmarker2) - (4)
             Right, and, the main danger from nukes . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (2)
                 LRPD says: "Thanks for playing..."__________:-P -NT - (Ashton) - (1)
                     Mine said: First came the dinosaurs, - (drewk)
             Funny you should say that. - (a6l6e6x)
         "No detonation was observed." - (CRConrad) - (1)
             That's blindingly obvious. -NT - (inthane-chan)
         Re: Lost Nuke - (qstephens) - (1)
             US sub as well -NT - (boxley)

is there more coffee... can I have another cup... you wanna cup I can make some more... I have alot... I mean I have this pot here... but its almost gone and its been sitting there for 10 minutes anyway... I should make more... did I ask if you needed coffee??? do you??? need coffee I mean...
74 ms