IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New I like this suggested law:
[link|http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/4/27404.html|From Rep. Logfren of San Jose]

1. Allow lawful consumers to make backup copies and display digital works on preferred digital media devices.
  2. Protect lawful consumers by prohibiting shrink-wrap licenses that limit their rights and expectations.
  3. Clarify that lawful consumers can sell or give away their copies of digital works, just like they can with traditional hard media.
  4. Protect lawful consumers by permitting them to bypass technical measures that impede their rights and expectations.
  5. Provide flexibility for content owners to develop new and innovative ways to protect their content and enable lawful uses.

Also, I thought it was about time we had a current news forum for this topic.
Regards,

-scott anderson

"Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson..."
New Executive summary
"Digital content is damn well not different from analog. If someone buys it they farkin' own it!"
===
Microsoft offers them the one thing most business people will pay any price for - the ability to say "we had no choice - everyone's doing it that way." -- [link|http://z.iwethey.org/forums/render/content/show?contentid=38978|Andrew Grygus]
New Wonder how this would affect the UCITA
Which, at the last I heard about it, was still trying to worm it's way into legislation throughout the land...

Specifically, Clause #2-4 look to be in direct opposition to the UCITA measures.
End of world rescheduled for day after tomorrow. Something should probably be done. Please advise.
New Any other sponsors?
Or is Zoe a lone ship flying into the wind on this one? I didn't see anything about sponsors in the Senate either.

Forgive me for being (cynical/pessimistic) about this until it garners more official support...
-YendorMike

What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?
- Jimmy Buffett, June 20, 2002, Tinley Park
New Boucher's version on CNET.
[link|http://news.com.com/2100-1023-960731.html|Here].

Formally titled the Digital Media Consumers' Rights Act, the new bill represents the boldest counterattack yet on recent expansions of copyright law that have been driven by entertainment industry firms worried about Internet piracy.

The bill, introduced by Reps. Rick Boucher, D-Va., and John Doolittle, R-Calif., would repeal key sections of the 1998 Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA). It would also require anyone selling copy-protected CDs to include a "prominent and plainly legible" notice that the discs include anti-piracy technology that could render them unreadable on some players.

[...]

The Boucher-Doolittle bill would make three changes to the DMCA, all designed to permit people to bypass copy-protection schemes for legitimate purposes:

\ufffd An exemption would be created saying anyone who "is acting solely in furtherance of scientific research into technological protection measures" would be able to distribute his or her code. That would permit Felten and other researchers--such as a programmer being represented by the ACLU in a current lawsuit--to publish their work without the threat of lawsuits.

\ufffd Bypassing technological protections would be permissible if done for legitimate, "fair use" purposes. The bill says it would not be a violation of federal law to "circumvent a technological measure"--as long as it does not lead to "an infringement of the copyright in the work."

\ufffd Creating a utility like DeCSS.exe might become legal. The bill says it would be legal to "manufacture, distribute, or make noninfringing use of a hardware or software product capable of enabling significant noninfringing use of a copyrighted work."

Jessica Litman, a professor at Wayne State University who specializes in copyright law, says the bill echoes a landmark 1984 Supreme Court case, Sony v. University City Studios, that permitted the sale of VCRs. "It seems to restore the Sony test that if you're making legitimate technology that also has a circumvention application, it's only illegitimate to distribute it if the legitimate application is not significant," Litman said.

[...]

Cheers,
Scott.
     I like this suggested law: - (admin) - (4)
         Executive summary - (drewk)
         Wonder how this would affect the UCITA - (inthane-chan)
         Any other sponsors? - (Yendor)
         Boucher's version on CNET. - (Another Scott)

It is toilet- ka ka crap as in the egregiously unfunny and unwatchable SNL.
68 ms