IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New On the contrary!
Thanks for the link... Fascinating stuff.

Every once in a while, you hear about plasma, magnetic fields, and cosmology all together (*grin*), but not often.

Why is cosmological plasma a threat to "bangers", though? How is the presence of intergalactic magnetic fields inimical to the BB? Does it make inflation unnecessary (I've heard this before, but didn't really understand the explanation)?...

Imric's Tips for Living
  • Paranoia Is a Survival Trait

• Pessimists are never disappointed - but sometimes, if they are very lucky, they can be pleasantly surprised...
New Re: On the contrary!
The most damning evidence against the Big Bang comes in the form of extremely large scale filamentary and sheet-like structures crossing literally billions of light years. Recall that inflation is a deus-ex-machina to save the Big Bang, which should produce a very smooth matter distribution that in fact is not seen. By adding an inflationary epoch one gets enough extra mixing to clump together proto-galaxies and the gross distribution of matter can be more or less accounted for. But the cosmic sheets (discovered in the mid 80s) are so huge that no amount of inflation can account for them, so one or another dark matter handwaving fantasies is usually invoked. Even the Bangers are becoming embarrassed by this ever receding series of Cheshire cats that are required to explain something that is easily understood in terms of plasma physics and eons of time. However, to allow plasma physics a legitimate role alongside gravitation and Lemaitre cosmologies would be all but admitting defeat, and it doesn't happen.

Here's a good page by plasma cosmologist David Pratt:

[link|http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/dp5/cosmo.htm|http://ourworld.com...p5/cosmo.htm]
New Again, very interesting!
I've forwarded the page to my science & technology mailing list... I know my Dad and some of my buds will be very interested... Thanks!

(ps. Completely OT, how's Orion? Haven't seen him post for a while... I know he was depressed - if you know, [link|mailto:hows-orion-doing@panhandler.refers.to|drop me a line]...)

Imric's Tips for Living
  • Paranoia Is a Survival Trait

• Pessimists are never disappointed - but sometimes, if they are very lucky, they can be pleasantly surprised...
     The structure of the universe - (imric) - (4)
         Sigh - (deSitter) - (3)
             On the contrary! - (imric) - (2)
                 Re: On the contrary! - (deSitter) - (1)
                     Again, very interesting! - (imric)

Because you should never underestimate the unoriginality of the very stupid.
62 ms