IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Er, no.
TCP/IP uses broadcasts - simply send your packet to x.x.x.255, for a Class C example.

We route NetBIOS across distinct networks to enable NT4 boxes to participate in SMB browsing. The only caveat is that you must disable the Computer Browser service on the box doing the routing, or else use a dedicated router. (The reason being that on a multihomed box, if the Browser service is running, it won't propagate NetBIOS browse traffic across interfaces.)

Peter
[link|http://www.debian.org|Shill For Hire]
[link|http://www.kuro5hin.org|There is no K5 Cabal]
[link|http://guildenstern.dyndns.org|Blog]
New Re: Er, no.
Well, it's terminology at some point - the key issue is address information in a packet.

Are you saying you have a separate NetBIOS protocol installed on some machines, or some all NetBIOS programs? If so then the routers are intelligently converting it to NBT or something like that and sending that among themselves. There's extra information supplied by the router. This is no different in principle than using NBT on the client.

-drl
     Any way to get a Linux client to talk to a WINS server? - (drewk) - (34)
         Re: Any way to get a Linux client to talk to a WINS server? - (deSitter) - (33)
             That's what it looked like - (drewk) - (1)
                 Re: That's what it looked like - (deSitter)
             Just use the client utilities - (scoenye) - (30)
                 How do I use it without running the SAMBA daemons? - (drewk) - (29)
                     Short and quick answer... AND the other one.... - (folkert) - (28)
                         Makes sense __________________ but wait! - (drewk) - (26)
                             Makes sense also... - (folkert) - (25)
                                 Not what I'm trying to do - (drewk) - (24)
                                     Re: Not what I'm trying to do (argh!) - (deSitter) - (17)
                                         I'm not a sysadmin - (drewk) - (16)
                                             But but but - (deSitter)
                                             Investigate smbclient - (pwhysall) - (14)
                                                 Tried it - (drewk) - (13)
                                                     Re: Tried it - (deSitter) - (12)
                                                         They don't need to see me - (drewk) - (11)
                                                             Re: They don't need to see me - (deSitter) - (4)
                                                                 Your looking at it backwards - (drewk) - (3)
                                                                     Re: Your looking at it backwards - (deSitter) - (2)
                                                                         OK, I'll read it, thanks -NT - (drewk)
                                                                         Absolutely.... Absolutely.... - (folkert)
                                                             Thoughts... - (Simon_Jester) - (5)
                                                                 WINS In 1 Minute - (deSitter) - (4)
                                                                     NetBIOS /is/ routable. - (pwhysall) - (3)
                                                                         Re: NetBIOS /is/ routable. - (deSitter) - (2)
                                                                             Er, no. - (pwhysall) - (1)
                                                                                 Re: Er, no. - (deSitter)
                                     Unless I'm missing something... try nmblookup - (scoenye) - (5)
                                         Hmmmm... Dern it "looked" right past this... - (folkert)
                                         Yup, that gets it - (drewk) - (3)
                                             You might try - (folkert) - (2)
                                                 I will - (drewk) - (1)
                                                     Re: I will - (folkert)
                         Re: Short and quick answer... AND the other one.... - (deSitter)

HA! THAT DON'T PAY THE RENT!
76 ms