IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Your looking at it backwards
I'm not trying to see the Linux box from the Windows box. I'm trying to see the Windows box from the Linux box. I don't care if nothing can see the Linux box. So it doesn't need to register with the WINS server. It needs to be able to read from the WINS server to get the IP of the Windows box.
===
Microsoft offers them the one thing most business people will pay any price for - the ability to say "we had no choice - everyone's doing it that way." -- [link|http://z.iwethey.org/forums/render/content/show?contentid=38978|Andrew Grygus]
New Re: Your looking at it backwards
It's still the same problem - LAN Manager is basically peer-to-peer. You need access to the WINS server to see Windows machines. That's what nmbd does for you. In order to browse, you also need to have smbd running. (Historically, I'd guess that browsing etc. was added when one of the peers got promoted to a "server" and the domain model emerged, and so it runs at the application level. NetBIOS is session level in the OSI model.)

Good link:

[link|http://www.neohapsis.com/resources/wins.htm|http://www.neohapsi...ces/wins.htm]

-drl
New OK, I'll read it, thanks
===
Microsoft offers them the one thing most business people will pay any price for - the ability to say "we had no choice - everyone's doing it that way." -- [link|http://z.iwethey.org/forums/render/content/show?contentid=38978|Andrew Grygus]
New Absolutely.... Absolutely....
Yeah... what he said...

This is the same problem Scott has... reason it has never been taken care of in DDNS... is because of WINS or AD acting as WINS, and therefore SAMBA doing it's part of the PEER to PEER networking...

Scott and you need, to run the daemons... to let the OTHER windows machine who your machines are... and for your machine to figure out who they are.

greg - Grand-Master Artist in IT,
curley95@attbi.com -- [link|http://www.iwethey.org/ed_curry/|REMEMBER ED CURRY!!!]

Your friendly Homeland Security Officer reminds:
Hold Thumbprint to Screen for 5 seconds, we'll take the imprint, or
Just continue to type on your keyboard, and we'll just sample your DNA.
     Any way to get a Linux client to talk to a WINS server? - (drewk) - (34)
         Re: Any way to get a Linux client to talk to a WINS server? - (deSitter) - (33)
             That's what it looked like - (drewk) - (1)
                 Re: That's what it looked like - (deSitter)
             Just use the client utilities - (scoenye) - (30)
                 How do I use it without running the SAMBA daemons? - (drewk) - (29)
                     Short and quick answer... AND the other one.... - (folkert) - (28)
                         Makes sense __________________ but wait! - (drewk) - (26)
                             Makes sense also... - (folkert) - (25)
                                 Not what I'm trying to do - (drewk) - (24)
                                     Re: Not what I'm trying to do (argh!) - (deSitter) - (17)
                                         I'm not a sysadmin - (drewk) - (16)
                                             But but but - (deSitter)
                                             Investigate smbclient - (pwhysall) - (14)
                                                 Tried it - (drewk) - (13)
                                                     Re: Tried it - (deSitter) - (12)
                                                         They don't need to see me - (drewk) - (11)
                                                             Re: They don't need to see me - (deSitter) - (4)
                                                                 Your looking at it backwards - (drewk) - (3)
                                                                     Re: Your looking at it backwards - (deSitter) - (2)
                                                                         OK, I'll read it, thanks -NT - (drewk)
                                                                         Absolutely.... Absolutely.... - (folkert)
                                                             Thoughts... - (Simon_Jester) - (5)
                                                                 WINS In 1 Minute - (deSitter) - (4)
                                                                     NetBIOS /is/ routable. - (pwhysall) - (3)
                                                                         Re: NetBIOS /is/ routable. - (deSitter) - (2)
                                                                             Er, no. - (pwhysall) - (1)
                                                                                 Re: Er, no. - (deSitter)
                                     Unless I'm missing something... try nmblookup - (scoenye) - (5)
                                         Hmmmm... Dern it "looked" right past this... - (folkert)
                                         Yup, that gets it - (drewk) - (3)
                                             You might try - (folkert) - (2)
                                                 I will - (drewk) - (1)
                                                     Re: I will - (folkert)
                         Re: Short and quick answer... AND the other one.... - (deSitter)

Altered daily unreality.
794 ms