IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Re: MySQL has table locking.
Oh good, table locking. NOT.

Table locking is not for serious business use at all. *serious* businesses need row-level locking, which is Somewhere Out There for MySQL.

Postgress seems to have good features/benefits. Free and so forth.

Of course, you could always use IBM DB2. Probably not less expensive than Oracle, though. Other vendors? Informix was absorbed by IBM. Not a bad product, but you gotta be suspicious of its future. IBM or Oracle or Microsoft, that's the choices with the pay databases.

Anyone have other databases to suggest? SQL, while decent, if not great, is OK, alas Microsoft "standard" ODBC is in several varieties, and not fully supported by many databases or ODBC interfaces or even Microsoft itself (see Visual Basic for a glaring example.)

Try to find a standard definition of SQL on the Web. When I went looking a few years back, I never did find a real definition of this ANSI SQL.
The lawyers would mostly rather be what they are than get out of the way even if the cost was Hammerfall. - Jerry Pournelle
New Thans for the info
I would go with IBM DB2; however, IBM does not seem to have made up its mind on the pricing yet last time I checked. At one point it cost more than SQL Server, at another it cost less, and I got a "We'll get back to you" when I asked them how much 20 client licneses would cost. IBM just isn't the same company that it once was. Someone should either put it out of its misery, or buy the f*cker out and get rid of all the pinheaded brain-dead MBA managers and marketers than ruin the company and replace them with computer geeks/nerds like us.

[link|http://games.speakeasy.net/data/files/khan.jpg|"Khan!!!" -Kirk]
New DB2
IBM is actually in the process of REDUCING the price of DB2 for smaller companies.

Current pricing:

User-based licensing model
$995 per server, plus $253 per user.
(User-based licensing works up to 4 processors on Microsoft Windows and 2 processors in Unix. User licensing is concurrent-use based, rather than Microsoft's per-seat, meaning you don't have to buy as many licenses.)
We run several IBM DB2 servers on 10 user licenses for less than $4K per server.

Processor-based licensing model (unlimited users, workgroup edition)
$15,000 per CPU for DB2 Version 7.2, and $7500 per CPU for DB2 Version 8. The price per CPU is actually GOING DOWN! Perhaps you can even work a deal to buy Version 8, but get version 7.2 until Version 8 is out of Beta.

The GUI's on DB2 aren't as nice as SQL Server, but we write our own Delphi programs, and the Delphi programs really don't care if the database is DB2 or SQL Server.

Where you lose out is in the available tools for SQL Server. But, the core database is so much better than SQL Server, and I think, with a little trickery, you could probably use the MS Access GUI tools with DB2 (using ODBC) if you had to.

I would really take a hard look at DB2, especially with the Version 8.0 price reductions.

It's 4X (or more) cheaper than Oracle on the Workgroup Edition, and it's a solid relational database.

Post back if you're interested and I can send you some information to get you started. You can download a free 90 day evaluation from IBM, but I'll have to get the specific URL for you if you're interested.

Glen Austin
New More Info...
If you're not getting clear information about pricing, then I would recommend two courses of action:

1. Call IBM 1-800-426-2255 and ask for the Summer 2002 Catalog US Version. They will send you one for free.

2. Ask for another account representative. I agree that it's confusing with all the different versions and licensing options and stuff, but the account reps at IBM are SUPPOSED to be there to explain it to you. If you want some help, I'll be happy to spend a little time explaining the choices and options.

3. Buy, DB2 Fundamentals Certification for Dummies from amazon.com (or your favorite bookstore). The first chapter of the book goes through all the different options for DB2.

4. Download the DB2 Enterprise Edition trial version: for free.
[link|http://www14.software.ibm.com/webapp/download/search.jsp?go=y&rs=db2udbdl&S_TACT=&S_CMP=|Here]

5. Download some of the free DB2 courses from the IBM Website.
[link|http://www-3.ibm.com/cgi-bin/software/track3.cgi?file=/software/data/db2/selfstudy/index.html&S_TACT=__S_TACT__&S_CMP=__S_CMP__|Here]

That should get you started, Norm. Let me know if you need more.

Glen Austin
IBM Certified Solution Expert: DB2 UDB Version 7.1 Database Administration for Unix, Linux, Windows, and OS/2
(and I don't even work for IBM, but maybe I should?)
New Revision
News on Slashdot today has it that there is now a MySQL add-in or something that *does* add row-level locking. Iff it's like previous locking annoncements it might be kludgy, but I haven't seen enough to verify/non-verify it.
     Alternatives to SQL Server 2000 - (orion) - (38)
         MySQL has table locking. - (static) - (16)
             Re: MySQL has table locking. - (wharris2) - (4)
                 Thans for the info - (orion) - (3)
                     DB2 - (gdaustin) - (1)
                         More Info... - (gdaustin)
                     Revision - (wharris2)
             Do you know - (orion) - (10)
                 First off... - (folkert) - (9)
                     Re: First off... - (orion) - (6)
                         Okay.... Now comes the tough part... - (folkert) - (5)
                             Excuse me - (orion) - (4)
                                 Pardon... - (folkert) - (3)
                                     Getting better now - (orion) - (2)
                                         Re: Way-Way-Cool - (folkert) - (1)
                                             Wow you figured it out? - (orion)
                     Greg, Greg, Greg...K5 moderation... - (kmself) - (1)
                         Uh... Are ewe crit\ufffdi\ufffdciz\ufffding my Englih? or my wait? - (folkert)
         Idea: - (CRConrad) - (14)
             Thanks for the idea - (orion) - (13)
                 FWIW - (tseliot) - (12)
                     Thank you! - (orion) - (5)
                         Oh, yeah. Great plan. Good luck with that. - (altmann) - (4)
                             Better link for that script... - (folkert) - (3)
                                 Thank you guys - (orion) - (2)
                                     Then do that - (drewk) - (1)
                                         I am doing that - (orion)
                     Please remove the returns in your post - (ben_tilly) - (2)
                         Wish I could. zIWE parser put them in for me. -NT - (tseliot) - (1)
                             You _can_ - (ben_tilly)
                     Table re-done, all purty like... only removed breaks - (folkert)
                     Whoop---Whooop---Whooooop!!! - (folkert) - (1)
                         Ya NUT! - (tseliot)
         Oops, disregard -- double posting! -NT - (CRConrad)
         Re: Alternatives to SQL Server 2000 - (broomberg) - (4)
             Believe me, I do not insist on it - (orion) - (3)
                 I might be smoking rope. - (mmoffitt) - (2)
                     Uh yeah - (orion) - (1)
                         Depends on how you write it. - (mmoffitt)

I wear permanent press so I'm always creased.
69 ms