IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New "Breaking Windows"
Saw a link on Dan Gilmore's site to Dave Winer's site, and thus to this. :)

[link|http://groups.yahoo.com/group/breaking-windows/message/44|Yahoo Groups "Breaking Windows"]

And this gem:

Date:\ufffd Wed\ufffdAug\ufffd15,\ufffd2001\ufffd 2:08
am
Subject:\ufffd Re: "Strategy Tax" (Correction)
--- In breaking-windows@y..., jimbokun@m... wrote:
> The most interesting thing to me about "Breaking Windows" is what
> Microsoft insiders called the "strategy tax". The strategy tax is
> when Microsoft throttles back on innovation or holds off on adding
> features that customers want if the innovation or new features would
> reduce Windows lock-in. An example is when Billg made Jim Allchin
> pull back on making Internet Explorer a full fledged platform because
> it might make it easier for customers to switch to something other
> than Windows.
>
> That Microsoft actually has a term for this, tells you everything you
> need to know about whether or not they intend to compete on the
> merits.
>
> -jimbokun

Jim Allchin should be Brad Silverberg.

My bad.

-jimbokun

Addison
New Excerpt on DaveNet.
[link|http://davenet.userland.com/2001/08/13/excerptFromBreakingWindows|Excerpt from Breaking Windows]

Damning. Very damning. It shows that Gates himself is simply far too dangerous.

Wade.

"All around me are nothing but fakes
Come with me on the biggest fake of all!"

New Such disingenuous crap!
We did exactly what the order said to do. There was no freedom or flexibility," Gates said at a public event a month after the episode. "What did people say about that? How were we treated on that? Brutally, just brutally."

"I was not sitting there going, 'Ha, ha, I'll do what I want.' I was sitting there going, 'This is the worst thing that's ever happened to me. When can I get back to just focusing on developing software?' And then to have the press come out and say, you know, what it said, that felt bad."

That is such patent bullshit, that it would be laughable if it weren't such a pile of toxic waste. It is refuted by the rest of the excerpt.

The man's a lying sack, He's always been a lying sack, and he'll continue to be a lying sack until he (mercifully) dies.
jb4

(Resistance is not futile...)
New Precisely.
If nothing else, Dave's excerpt shows that it is William Gates III who is The Problem Of Microsoft. It was this fact that led me to suggest (months ago) that A Remedy could be to remove him (and possibly a few other senior executives) from the chairmanship of Microsoft, forced divestiture of all his computer industy stock and forbid him to acquire anymore etc etc for the next decade at least.

Wade.

"All around me are nothing but fakes
Come with me on the biggest fake of all!"

New I likes it!
(...and , if I am not mistaken, I liked it then, too...)
jb4

(Resistance is not futile...)
New Even with all the damning evidence, the author likes MS.
Dan Gillmor (note the spelling) writes:

[link|http://web.siliconvalley.com/content/sv/2001/08/14/opinion/dgillmor/weblog/index.htm|Breaking Windows, a Must Read]

I consider David Banks's book about Microsoft, Breaking Windows, one of the must-read volumes if you care about technology. It's based on excellent reporting and is written with great expertise.

David's conclusion, that Microsoft is planning to work in a fair and open manner in the Internet Era, strikes me as misguided, however. I suspect he finished the book just when the company was pretending it would change its behavior, a pretense that subsequent events have shown to be false.

The excerpt seems to be well written. But in all of MS's history it has shown that it doesn't care about anything, even the law, other than itself. The author somehow concluding that MS has changed its stripes makes me feel that I won't be putting it on my "to read" list anytime soon.

Cheers,
Scott.
New Does seem strange.
After all of that, and still having the opinion that something has changed, when its following the same pattern...

But people *want* to see change, remorse, atonement. They "don't understand" when it doesn't exist.

Addison
     "Breaking Windows" - (addison) - (6)
         Excerpt on DaveNet. - (static) - (3)
             Such disingenuous crap! - (jb4) - (2)
                 Precisely. - (static) - (1)
                     I likes it! - (jb4)
         Even with all the damning evidence, the author likes MS. - (Another Scott) - (1)
             Does seem strange. - (addison)

(This message was left blank.)
112 ms