IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Interesting. Performance Metrics of .NET
With my company, our site gets 30million+ hits a day. With that, we have always weighed performance before maintainability and such.

We're currently ASP (no COM, VBScript classes only) and SQL Server.

We're currently in the design phases for moving to .NET. In doing so, we did some performance comparisons, and I thought you guys might be interested, considering web services were slower then ASP.OLD, when put under a load.

1 = .NET
Code behind doing requests through a business object, business object using a data layer (all ADO.NET SQLDataReader).

2 = .NET using a Web Service
Code behind doing requests through a web service.

3 = ASP.OLD
ASP page instanting a VBScript class, calling to the database.

(All three architectures use stored procedures)

Threads Clients CPU% Req/Sec
1 2 5 20 22
5 5 50 46
10 5 80 79
25 5 100 95

2 2 5 30 17
5 5 70 36
10 5 90 43
25 5 100* 25

3 2 5 65 26
5 5 95 37
10 5 100** 34
25 5 100* 31

* = Server pegged. Totally unresponsive. Dead by all practical explanations.
** = Not totally dead, but bobbing along at 90-100% utilization.

Conclusion: Web services baddddddddd.

Anyways, enjoy!

-Jason
----

My pid is Inigo Montoya. You "killed -9" my parent process. Prepare to vi.
New Hmmmm
It might be even more interesting to get the numbers for equivalent Web services built on LAMP (Linux/Apache/MySql/Perl(Python)(PHP)

Tom Sinclair

"Everybody is someone else's weirdo."
- E. Dijkstra
New Tsk, Tsk.
[link|http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnnetdep/html/redisteula.asp|Microsoft .NET Framework Redistributable EULA
] sez:

You may not disclose the results of any benchmark test of the .NET Framework component of the OS Components to any third party without Microsoft's prior written approval.

I believe the .NET SDK EULA has a similar clause.

With option 2, you are making 2x as many requests to ASP.NET assuming one web service call per client request. I'm assuming here the web service is served from the same server (say that 5 times fast :)
--
Chris Altmann
New Whoops!
How silly.

Oh well, my last (MS) benchmark I'll post here. ;)
----

New Well... at least .....
Until the *NEXT* time... ;)

greg - Grand-Master Artist in IT,
curley95@attbi.com -- [link|http://www.iwethey.org/ed_curry/|REMEMBER ED CURRY!!!]

Your friendly Homeland Security Officer reminds:
Hold Thumbprint to Screen for 5 seconds, we'll take the imprint, or
Just continue to type on your keyboard, and we'll just sample your DNA.
New And this surprises you why?
All of my experience with XML parsing is that its dog fucking slow.

XSL is dog on dog fucking slow. (And also write-only like bad perl).

Anyhow, its kind of hard to take your assertion that performance is at the top of your requirements when you're using toy tools and machines to build your website.

If you were really serious about performance, you'd write an apache module in C that called to a template and query processor - also written in C, and you'd deploy it on a nice big Sun box. You'd also be using Oracle. That would let you get some serious performance. Development would take forever but it would be seriously fast.

This isn't meant to be a flame or anything but I remain confused as to why anybody at all buys into the MS house of cards architecture.

Repeat after me - nothing from Redmond goes into mission or performance critical production systems. Ever. Its just not sound engineering practice.
I am out of the country for the duration of the Bush administration.
Please leave a message and I'll get back to you when democracy returns.
Expand Edited by tuberculosis Aug. 21, 2007, 12:46:10 PM EDT
New Well...
Don't shoot the messenger.

I'm only doing what I can with what we have to work with. If I were CTO here then I'd change lots of things. Meanwhile, I just do what I'm told, boss. ;)

----

New What I find interesting
At low load it's "close enough" that many people will figure, "We just don't have enough experience at writing Web Services well yet, and the faster development time makes up for that in the meantime." By the time you really understand how to write proper web services, you will probably have either:
  1. found it takes just as much time as your current practices
  2. found that it just doesn't scale under load
  3. committed so much time to the conversion that you'll go ahead with it no matter what, even if that means doubling your hardware installation
  4. all of the above
===
Microsoft offers them the one thing most business people will pay any price for - the ability to say "we had no choice - everyone's doing it that way." -- [link|http://z.iwethey.org/forums/render/content/show?contentid=38978|Andrew Grygus]
     Interesting. Performance Metrics of .NET - (jlalexander) - (7)
         Hmmmm - (tjsinclair)
         Tsk, Tsk. - (altmann) - (2)
             Whoops! - (jlalexander) - (1)
                 Well... at least ..... - (folkert)
         And this surprises you why? - (tuberculosis) - (1)
             Well... - (jlalexander)
         What I find interesting - (drewk)

Excuse me while I go throw up.
93 ms