IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Power Cycling the Cable Modem...
Has worked on more than one occasion for me and others I "support".

The MAC address issue eluded to by others is usually about the MAC addr on the Cabal(hehe;) modem itself.

that and the stuff Peter Whysall mentioned should fix it up fer ya.

edit: Damned mind playing tricks on me.

greg - Grand-Master Artist in IT,
curley95@attbi.com -- REMEMBER ED CURRY!!!
Expand Edited by gfolkertold Aug. 4, 2002, 07:26:03 PM EDT
New No, it is the network card - and . . .
. . the installer generally records that MAC address on the paperwork given to the customer, at least in these parts. Hook any device with a different MAC address to the cable modem, and it will not connect. If this were not an issue, the routers would not have had MAC spoofing added (originally they didn't have it).
[link|http://www.aaxnet.com|AAx]
New From a know-nothing...
Well, I guess I know nothing then...

Then explain how I have hooked up about 30 different NICs to my CABAL modem...

Have had the ability to do the same at many others around here in Michigan...

And anytime the Modem has been replaced... then the Modem's MAC has to be "activated"... Never been a problem around here.

I guess I just am lucky

New Easy
Not all cable companies key to the MAC address. If your's doesn't then there isn't even a reason for you to know about MAC spoofing except as an item of arcane but useless knowledge. Around here they do, so nobody's going to connect anything through the cable modem except the original NIC unless it spoofs that NIC's MAC. I've seen people try.
New power-cycling the modem is worth trying though
If you don't know whether or not it will work, it is worth a shot.

For the record here (roadrunner, NYC) it does.

Cheers,
Ben
"Perl is like vice grips. You can do anything with it, and it's the wrong tool for every job."
--Unknown
New Bad tech support. BAD! BAD!
You assume that it is the network card, and you assume that a simpler solution will not work.

And then jump to a much more complicated solution.

At least try the easy solution. If it doesn't work, it doesn't work. But in much of the country it will, and is easy enough to test.

Cheers,
Ben
"Perl is like vice grips. You can do anything with it, and it's the wrong tool for every job."
--Unknown
New No, what I assume is . .
. . if he's someone who posts here, he's already power cycled everything. Even some of my customers have enough sense to do that (though admittedly, not many).
New Well... I'll give you that....
It should be reasoned that if they do post here...

BUT... on more than one occasion... I have seen even VERY good troubleshooters troubleshoot RIGHT past the simple fixes and assume the more complex ones... and I admit... even *I* have done that.... ----hush-hush---- shhhh.... don't let that out...

So, it always does help to at least "mention" the easy fixes... as we all know those "Dam, I coulda had a V8" moments happen.

New Another bad assumption
First of all Bryce posts here.

Secondly we all have different skillsets. What is common sense for one is unlikely to be for everyone else. For instance I don't work with hardware much. Sure, I know to try power-cycling everything. How? Because I know someone who had a lot of problem getting everything set up with her cable modem, and when I was going to get one I asked the guy who got it working, "BTW what was the problem you mentioned with Kim's modem?" "Oh, turns out that you have to power-cycle the modem every time you want to change what it is connected to."

So I know it. Now. But didn't 6 months ago. And I don't assume that people know what I just learned...

Cheers,
Ben
--Unknown
New I told a tech off for suggesting that.
What happened is that when he suggested power-cycling it, I said "that shouldn't be necessary" and he agreed. This was a DSL modem that took 90 seconds to boot, did the PPPoE itself, had a basic firewall capability and a 4-port hub built-in. It didn't fix the problem, anyway. Power-cycling computing hardware "just to see if it fixes it" is a Windows mentality.

Curiously, when I flashed my 802.11b Access Point, the readme file said to power-cycle it, but by the time I read that, it had finished flashing and was running the new firmware!

Wade.

"Ah. One of the difficult questions."

New This isn't a case of Windows mentality
The issue with many cable modems is that there is no way built into the modem to cause it to do basic reinitializations (like "figure out what name the hardware that is attached to me expects to hear itself addressed by") is to start from scratch. So if you switch what you have plugged into the modem, then you need to power-cycle or they will forever talk past each other.

Once it is up, then barring a hardware change you can leave it that way for months.

Cheers,
Ben
--Unknown
New Not only that...
... but my cable modem doesn't even have a power switch.

So if something changes to the point where it needs reinitialization (like when Comcast changed to their own network from @home), I have to unplug it, then plug it back in. :-)
Regards,

-scott anderson

"Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson..."
New Also, a power glitch can put the cable modem into limbo.
Had that happen once. A short power disruption left the Motorola cable modem in a weird state that made it look like there was no cable signal. The Road Runner tech support guy suggested power off/power on before sending out a repair guy. Good thing!

Duke Energy (the local power company) is notorious for power blips so my cable modem is now on a small UPS.
Alex

"Television: chewing gum for the eyes." -- Frank Lloyd Wright
New Happens to hubs too.
I've had to power cycle 10BaseT and 10/100 hubs that jammed because of a power fluctuation. Everything looks fine, but some (or all) of the ports don't work.
     Hooking up a laptop to a cable modem - (bluke) - (21)
         Re: Hooking up a laptop to a cable modem - (pwhysall) - (2)
             Re: Hooking up a laptop to a cable modem - (bluke) - (1)
                 MAC addresses - (pwhysall)
         Cable tricks - (Andrew Grygus) - (1)
             Yep, with Linksys router, on Road Runner cable modem - (a6l6e6x)
         Power Cycling the Cable Modem... - (folkert) - (13)
             No, it is the network card - and . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (12)
                 From a know-nothing... - (folkert) - (2)
                     Easy - (Andrew Grygus) - (1)
                         power-cycling the modem is worth trying though - (ben_tilly)
                 Bad tech support. BAD! BAD! - (ben_tilly) - (8)
                     No, what I assume is . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (7)
                         Well... I'll give you that.... - (folkert)
                         Another bad assumption - (ben_tilly) - (5)
                             I told a tech off for suggesting that. - (static) - (4)
                                 This isn't a case of Windows mentality - (ben_tilly) - (3)
                                     Not only that... - (admin)
                                     Also, a power glitch can put the cable modem into limbo. - (a6l6e6x) - (1)
                                         Happens to hubs too. - (Andrew Grygus)
         Just received an answer from RR tech support - (bluke) - (1)
             Nope... Not going there except to.... - (folkert)

No, your ass does that all on its own.
353 ms