IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New so you CAN racially profile without being racist ]:->
Our bureaucracy and our laws have turned the world into a clean, safe work camp. We are raising a nation of slaves.
Chuck Palahniuk
New Close enough..
I read it that, by quoting his own internal chatter (We All bring every past event, association to - any next event.. D'Oh!) -- this guy talked himself FROM..

"Clearly these guys were behaving suspiciously and while the backup-light wasn't a crime - I was justified in bringing it to their attention. Their fleeing my legitimate stop: was their first illegal action.. (not the bad light)"

TO:
All the above.

Foot-in-mouth disease IMhO. Not 'racial profiling' by any stretch - simply employment of one's own life experience, in a field which is always *about* human psychology (or you'd die soon). Yes too, the 'not' is aided by the fact of his er partner preferences. Data always helps when yer lookin fer loopholes or just holes.

My Solomonic Decision\ufffd
New Think probabilities.
Yes, it is possible.

It is also possible that those kids had a legal right to that truck.

Probabilities.

If this was a single instance of such activity, that would be one thing.

If there were a series of instances similar to this....... well, you can only hit "improbable" so many times before it becomes "probable".

Just for fun, let's alter the situation slightly. Suppose it was a black cop. Would he still be "racially profiling"? Or would he be "racist"? Or would he be "age'ist profiling" ("kids don't drive vehicles like that")?

"Zero tolerance"

They forbid the use of racial profiling (even when accurate) because it has too many ties to racism.

Who said: "It is better that ten guilty persons escape than one innocent suffer"?

Another core value. Which do you believe in?
The guilty escape so that the innocent do not suffer the legal system.
-or-
The innocent suffer so that we may punish more of the guilty.
New Agreed - that is the core. I retract my above
hasty, popular but trite opinion :[

And probably, cop or non-cop - one of the prime motivating internal attitudes which underlie the usual straw-homo debates employing liberal/conservative, believer/not-so-believer - merely putative "attitudes" about

whose ox? was gored.

Surely this concept also goes to the heart of 'intentionality' (from other threads we might recall). Not impossible to elicit from a one, but.. surely ripe for obfuscation - especially when defending er rationalizing one's actions taken.. afterwards.

(I assert that we always act on the emotional content - this is the fastest! of our responses (check it out) - later.. focus upon the intellectual 'logical' component of the entire matter. Few instant-events allow the luxury of the latter *while* in-progress)

I agree that by this crucial point: the 'benefit of doubt' accrues to the kids above since, "acting suspiciously" is simply YAN variation of the loitering statutes -- now universally decommissioned, I believe (?)

Of course, in actual life situations - even this litmus cannot address the complexity of circumstances. We still have to rely upon a certain level of expected candor in testimony - as in the intentions ? v.large Question.

Ergo: we'll continue to employ the also imperfect processes of judges, lawyers and witnesses (seemingly least reliable of all!) - indefinitely. Simply because we Know from all experience since birth:

Homo-sap will lie *especially to salvage ego*, then $ and a litany of other 'reasons'.

There is no escape from what, so often 'we are'.

{sigh}

Ashton
guilty of taking the snap-judgment, just like the cop

PS - we still don't know enough of the above events to fairly 'judge' the subtleties, I trust is obvious: since this 'case' seems to be aborted by the actions of the board sans the court process. So we won't ever have an 'examined judgment' of above reported events.
New Racial profiling vs. social profiling
There *is* such thing as a black culture (although that may not be the best name for it). Perhaps he keyed in on other "social clues" besides raw skin color.

Perhaps if those kids dressed a certain way he would not have been suspicious.
coulda happened that way.
thanx,
bill
Our bureaucracy and our laws have turned the world into a clean, safe work camp. We are raising a nation of slaves.
Chuck Palahniuk
     more PC BS or racism? - (boxley) - (11)
         Illegal vs "wrong"? - (Brandioch) - (6)
             so you CAN racially profile without being racist ]:-> -NT - (boxley) - (5)
                 Close enough.. - (Ashton)
                 Think probabilities. - (Brandioch) - (1)
                     Agreed - that is the core. I retract my above - (Ashton)
                 Racial profiling vs. social profiling - (tablizer) - (1)
                     waal there wuz straw in the back and cowpies on their boots - (boxley)
         Government and prejudice - (ben_tilly) - (1)
             Heh.. in science also - (Ashton)
         It is sometimes unavoidable. - (static)
         Seems natural - (tuberculosis)

I'll eat my freaking Taco Bell and drink my beer, and I'll do it all in bed, dammit!
50 ms