IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New It's all in the visualization.
An acre foot is used because it is much easier to visualise than a heap of cubic meters. Other traditional measures are also easier to conceptualize than metric and are scaled to human experience.

And yes, the teaspoon measure is highly standardized, so Box's is the same size as mine (the teaspoon, that is).

Metric is easier for engineering calculations, true, but not everything in life is engineering - in fact, believe it or not, most of it isn't (or aren't you getting out much?).

They that have known only metric fear what they do not understand, and seek to impose upon us "the one true measure" - and they get royally ticked off when we chose to use theirs and ours. That alone is enough to make it all worthwhile.

[link|http://www.aaxnet.com|AAx]
New And other senses
Being from Texas, it makes a lot more sense to use a temperature scale where 100 is the benchmark for determining whether it's hot. It just doesn't sound right to say that it's 38 degrees outside in the middle of summer.

On the lower end of things, zero degrees C does make more sense for determining when it's cold - Freezing. But since we hate the cold in these parts, the 32 degrees makes us feel a tad warmer than we should.
New So BOx's and yours are equally tiny!
Your teaspoons, that is! :-)

Honestly, *I* don't have any problems visualizing in metric units... (Though I might also think in hectare-meters for that dam; one of those is ten thousand cubic meters [=ten million liters] and, depending on the size of the acre, probably about six acre-feet.)

So, not everything in life is engineering... Although you're right, I actually *don't* get out all that much nowadays -- hadn't you heard, I've got a girlfriend? :-)
   Christian R. Conrad
Microsoft is a true reflection of Bill Gates' personality - the sleaziest, most unethical, ugliest little rat's ass the world has seen unto this time.
-- [link|http://z.iwethey.org/forums/render/content/show?contentid=42971|Andrew Grygus]
     Minnow damage - (Silverlock) - (39)
         Ouchhh! How can you be typing? -NT - (a6l6e6x) - (1)
             Half as fast as normal - (Silverlock)
         So, sometimes the minnow wins . . . -NT - (Andrew Grygus)
         Nnngh ow ow ow ow STFU plzkthx - (pwhysall)
         Unfair, the fish had help! -NT - (ben_tilly)
         pair of needle nose pliars, a needle - (boxley)
         Four CENTImeters... or milli-? (4 cm ~ 1.8") -NT - (CRConrad) - (32)
             Sheesh, I make that mistake all the time - (Silverlock) - (31)
                 Yup, it's that metric system again. - (Andrew Grygus) - (30)
                     easy way to remember willies are measured in centimenters - (boxley)
                     \ufffd, Shil, six-pence, ha-penny, Guinea - much more fun too.. - (Ashton)
                     Not forgetting - (pwhysall) - (27)
                         + grains, drams, minims, Av/Troy ounces, but.. PINT= OK! :-\ufffd -NT - (Ashton)
                         My favorite question... - (ben_tilly)
                         Bull** - (Andrew Grygus) - (20)
                             Bravisssimo! - (Ashton) - (6)
                                 Re: Bravisssimo! - (admin) - (5)
                                     Then please.. - (Ashton) - (1)
                                         *smile* - (admin)
                                     See if you can convince him that duo-decimal is better :-) - (ben_tilly) - (2)
                                         I'm not going there... -NT - (admin) - (1)
                                             Aw, can't I corrupt him a little? -NT - (ben_tilly)
                             Great steaming piles of it from you, Andrew. - (CRConrad) - (10)
                                 Thread is the word you are looking for and also - (boxley) - (6)
                                     There ain't no such thing... - (CRConrad)
                                     Hey box . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (3)
                                         Simple the kids have disappeared all the 9/16 wrenches - (boxley) - (2)
                                             Hint: what else does "proof" mean -NT - (drewk) - (1)
                                                 note the mm in the post as opposed to ml -NT - (boxley)
                                     Missed your "Subject:" before - thread, of course, thanks! -NT - (CRConrad)
                                 It's all in the visualization. - (Andrew Grygus) - (2)
                                     And other senses - (ChrisR)
                                     So BOx's and yours are equally tiny! - (CRConrad)
                             I wish the french had gone duo-decimal - (ben_tilly)
                             ROFL!! Excellent explaination of Bull! -NT - (n3jja)
                         One mile = 1,000 feet - (kmself) - (1)
                             Not quite. - (CRConrad)
                         yabbut the alternative is french -NT - (boxley)
                         Whats the horsepower of that motor? -NT - (boxley)

Just slightly more difficult than choosing your parents.
73 ms