IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Re: Bravisssimo!
Do kids memorize the multiplication tables anymore? Could they, anymore?
Mine does. He decided to learn the 19s the other day because he thought it was fun. *boggle*

That's all. Just thought it was amusing that you would ask that. :-)

(btw, he knows exponents, Avogadro's number, e, and both the decimal value and the fractional approximation of pi as well... there's no accounting for curiosity)
Regards,

-scott anderson

"Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson..."
New Then please..
Never! let this person *ride* in VW-bugs, Pintos, the more-stupid 'high' UAVs ... or anything with fewer than 8 air-bags. OK?

(I usually fudge the er upper tables: round-up, EZ-multiply then add-back an even easier multiply)

Also recall an anecdote re a couple physics Luminaries, though I can't be sure which! - might have been Fermi? and Bethe.. maybe Feynman was in this little event (but if Von Neumann, would merely be 'expected')

Arguing a Problem (maybe Los Alamos related) they were 'running differential equations' in brain. An onlooker imagined you could see folks moving partial results into 'internal registers' (!). Someone also had a calculator (which would have been an old Marchant mechanical one with electric motor) - which finished last.

{sheesh} imagine the Utility of having Flash-RAM in one's brain/mind! (would that be firmware, wetware or Warez?)

I sorta liken this to 'circular breathing' - which has been learned by a variety of wind-instrument players.. just in past 30? years: ie can play Perpetuum Mobile on a flute, trumpet etc. It is *awe*some, that overused, now dead word - to those of us who hear the Impossible being done.

Maybe your son can grok How the above folks managed their literally 'routine' feats too (?)

... must be scary to be raising a potential National Treasure.

Cheers,

Ashton
New *smile*
He's fanatically careful with his own person... but I'll pass the advice along. ;-)
Regards,

-scott anderson

New See if you can convince him that duo-decimal is better :-)
More tables to remember!

Cheers,
Ben
"... I couldn't see how anyone could be educated by this self-propagating system in which people pass exams, teach others to pass exams, but nobody knows anything."
--Richard Feynman
New I'm not going there...
Regards,

-scott anderson

New Aw, can't I corrupt him a little?
"... I couldn't see how anyone could be educated by this self-propagating system in which people pass exams, teach others to pass exams, but nobody knows anything."
--Richard Feynman
     Minnow damage - (Silverlock) - (39)
         Ouchhh! How can you be typing? -NT - (a6l6e6x) - (1)
             Half as fast as normal - (Silverlock)
         So, sometimes the minnow wins . . . -NT - (Andrew Grygus)
         Nnngh ow ow ow ow STFU plzkthx - (pwhysall)
         Unfair, the fish had help! -NT - (ben_tilly)
         pair of needle nose pliars, a needle - (boxley)
         Four CENTImeters... or milli-? (4 cm ~ 1.8") -NT - (CRConrad) - (32)
             Sheesh, I make that mistake all the time - (Silverlock) - (31)
                 Yup, it's that metric system again. - (Andrew Grygus) - (30)
                     easy way to remember willies are measured in centimenters - (boxley)
                     \ufffd, Shil, six-pence, ha-penny, Guinea - much more fun too.. - (Ashton)
                     Not forgetting - (pwhysall) - (27)
                         + grains, drams, minims, Av/Troy ounces, but.. PINT= OK! :-\ufffd -NT - (Ashton)
                         My favorite question... - (ben_tilly)
                         Bull** - (Andrew Grygus) - (20)
                             Bravisssimo! - (Ashton) - (6)
                                 Re: Bravisssimo! - (admin) - (5)
                                     Then please.. - (Ashton) - (1)
                                         *smile* - (admin)
                                     See if you can convince him that duo-decimal is better :-) - (ben_tilly) - (2)
                                         I'm not going there... -NT - (admin) - (1)
                                             Aw, can't I corrupt him a little? -NT - (ben_tilly)
                             Great steaming piles of it from you, Andrew. - (CRConrad) - (10)
                                 Thread is the word you are looking for and also - (boxley) - (6)
                                     There ain't no such thing... - (CRConrad)
                                     Hey box . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (3)
                                         Simple the kids have disappeared all the 9/16 wrenches - (boxley) - (2)
                                             Hint: what else does "proof" mean -NT - (drewk) - (1)
                                                 note the mm in the post as opposed to ml -NT - (boxley)
                                     Missed your "Subject:" before - thread, of course, thanks! -NT - (CRConrad)
                                 It's all in the visualization. - (Andrew Grygus) - (2)
                                     And other senses - (ChrisR)
                                     So BOx's and yours are equally tiny! - (CRConrad)
                             I wish the french had gone duo-decimal - (ben_tilly)
                             ROFL!! Excellent explaination of Bull! -NT - (n3jja)
                         One mile = 1,000 feet - (kmself) - (1)
                             Not quite. - (CRConrad)
                         yabbut the alternative is french -NT - (boxley)
                         Whats the horsepower of that motor? -NT - (boxley)

Nine for Mortal Chellovecks doomed to snuff it.
57 ms