IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Political theories... Fact or Fiction?
While looking around for supporting links for an unrelated thread, a ran across [link|http://www.commentarymagazine.com/0101/teachout.htm|a most compelling
article.] I was looking for the demographic data of our last election and found a few "dry" ones as well ([link|http://www.gallup.com/Election2000/demographic.asp|an example of a dry one]). I'll have to warn you in advance, the compelling one is pretty long so you may want to print it for bathroom reading later on...

I think it is amazing to try and really understand what influences us to think so passionately (for the Aristotle nutz out there, that's pathos and ethos and mythos) about some subjects instead of calmly and methodically (logos)...

I'm adding this link for clarity... [link|http://mwhodges.home.att.net/election2000.htm|The demographic maps
they keep referring to].

Whachallthink?
Just a few thoughts,

Screamer

"Putting the fun back into funatic"
Expand Edited by screamer Aug. 10, 2001, 02:26:51 PM EDT
New I think someone missed the point
Of all the rhetoric during the election (and here as well) there is a larger group of people that tuned in, noticed that neither party offered anything to them and were a pack of snarling dogs so tuned out. Myself I didnt vote for president because I heartily despised the politics of both men. What is left are the banner carriers and very partisan people who wanted their side to win at all cost. Until a man or a party stands up and shows independant thought and deeds, like Jesse Ventura for example, the electorate who exercises their vote will get smaller and smaller.
thanx,
bill
Our bureaucracy and our laws have turned the world into a clean, safe work camp. We are raising a nation of slaves.
Chuck Palahniuk
New Not to tip my hand... but...
I didn't vote in the last election either FWIW... The first article I linked mentions us and brings up the point that >50% of the voting age population chose to exercise their right not to vote ;-) .

I really do find this article .... intriguing... I think maybe this guy is on to something? (or simply on something?)
I'm trying not to be too damned cynical, now don't go blowin' it for me... I really am trying to understand this all.

See, my wife, one of the nicest and most compassionate people I know, has voted Republican her whole life (anecdotal evidence for at least one compassionate conservative) ... You can imagine the fun we have every election time! But I'm really trying to understand the "why" of both political parties. She's kind of filled me in on the Republican side...
Just a few thoughts,

Screamer

"Putting the fun back into funatic"
New Thoughts on that subject...
...is that the urban centers...which are vastly democratic...have generally seen the benefits of massive federal programs. They also see more of the negative aspects of capitalist society...poverty, poor education, etc...

The Democrats have made these "their" agenda items. Not that the Republicans don't address these issues...but they generally address them by wanting to provide more local control...and the Democrats have used that as the wedge..."You SEE, Virginia...those evil Republican bastards don't care about YOU...they don't want to deal with your problems...WE'LL FIX IT FOR YOU"

The difference in mindset is that the "country music belt" WANTS to "take care of their own"...and the city folk want somebody to take care of it for them...

This is, of course, a vast oversimplification...but if you have to nutshell the argument...this is probably a good start.

Um...er...well...

I have no choice!

[link|mailto:bepatient@aol.com|BePatient]
New I think the essence is correct...
even if he's just a bit right wing.

I don't know of anyone who disagrees that there are fairly strong differences between Urban and Rural life. The needs of individuals within those areas are totally different. It's no wonder, with our political system, that parties would, to differentiate themselves, attempt to reach individuals within one group or another. (Or hell, likeminded individuals could form together into a group.)

Indeed, what's really interesting is that this is somehow seen as a NEW development. People have pointed out Republicans were originally seen as in control of the northern states, Democrats in charge of the southern states during the Civil War. (ahem, or War of Northern Aggression as some people have pointed out. :-) Obviously there were incredible differences in the cultures of North and South - from lifestyles, to resources, to industry.

It's also interesting that the nature of the parties have changed over time. Originally, Republican were seen as in control in the North, particularly in the Northeast. However, as time has progressed, the party now is seen in hold particular power in the midwest farmland and in the south. The urban control (particularly in the Northeast) that it once had is now seen to be held by Democrats. I suspect that this may be influenced from the Reconstrution itself, as Democrats were forced (as a party) to reach out to anyone (immigrants in particular) to retain power (however, I could be wrong).

New Interesting read
The author has a rather noticeable right wing bias, but the part of the article where he talks about the cultural gap in the US is certainly correct.

The only part that was out and out wrong is this But, of course, much will depend on the willingness of moderate Democrats to disavow the poisonous rhetoric that has lately become a staple of their party's political discourse. This ignores the equally wide spread use of poisonous rhetoric in the Republican party. Neither side will stop until things changes such that they are not rewarded for doing so.

I think the culturally gap has become more significant in the last generation or so. Not so much because it wider, if anything the number of issues in the gap has shrunk. But those remaining issues all lean towards absolutist thinking, there is little room for compromise on the issues of abortion, gun control and racism.

Politicians and news media have (mostly unconsciously) colluded to keep those issues in the fore because they are dramatic and simple. Complex issues such as intellectual property, corporate rights, international law and so on are ignored because they can't be condensed into sound bites.

Jay
     Political theories... Fact or Fiction? - (screamer) - (5)
         I think someone missed the point - (boxley) - (2)
             Not to tip my hand... but... - (screamer) - (1)
                 Thoughts on that subject... - (bepatient)
         I think the essence is correct... - (Simon_Jester)
         Interesting read - (JayMehaffey)

Too late, some of us have already taken offense.
41 ms