IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 1 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Anime Expo 2002
Held this year at the Long Beach Convention Center, it was 4 days of good friends, anime and cos-play girls. There was much walking (between the hotel and the various parts of the convention center), a decent fireworks show on the 4th over the Queen Mary (which we viewed from the 15th floor of our hotel overlooking the harbor) and 250+ beers on tap at the Yardhouse.

Some anime higlights were:

Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust. Good gothic story. Good english dub (especially "the hand"). Beautiful animation. Its been out for a few years, but I hadn't seen it before.

Excel Saga. Ridiculously zany with lots of references/parody of other anime.

His and Her Circumstances (Kare Kano). By "the guy who did Eva" and Gainax. Story of two high school kids slowly and painfully falling in love. Very well told story so far (3 episodes). Brought a tear to my eye (which elicited taunts of "Ach! Ya fookin' pansy!" from my compatriots).

Furi Kuri (FLCL): Also by Gainax. Weird but promising. A girl on a vespa whacking people over the head with a chainsaw/bass guitar. That same head sprouting large robots for some as yet unknown reason. Kinda hard to explain otherwise.

Legend of Galactic Heroes - My Conquest is the Sea of Stars. Apparently a prequel to an extensive series. The story of two huge space fleets about to engage and the rise of two heroes from that battle (one from each side). Very low key. Grand space battle to the tune of Bolero. Definitely "a guys anime" as the wife of a friend put it.

--
Chris Altmann
Expand Edited by altmann July 11, 2002, 12:50:36 PM EDT
Expand Edited by altmann July 11, 2002, 12:51:46 PM EDT
New Nice report.
Out of all of those, the most enticing is His/Her Circumstances - is that it's real name? Certainly in my experience, the Japanese seem to do this kind of thing better than Hollywood. Early Ranma had the tentative romance between Akane and Ranma, for instance. And then there was Misato's fractured love life in NGE...

Wade.

"Ah. One of the difficult questions."

New Aka: "Kare Kano"
[link|http://www.rightstuf.com/1-800-338-6827/catalogmgr/scfYf5NXNAk-j=HqDJ/browse/item/56949/4/0/0|His and Her Circumstances [Kare Kano]]
--
Chris Altmann
New That does sound interesting
think I'll have to pick it up during my next Anime shopping excursion :-)

I've been to a couple anime cons up in Dallas. The first time I went I didn't know what to expect. A few days of 24 hour non-stop anime. My friend's planned the viewing schedule as I wasn't yet into anime, "well watch this, that, take a 2 hour nap here, watch this, etc". Much fun!

I need to finish NGE. My anime collection started on laser disk. After I picked up the first NGE they discontinued the laser disk releases. After the quality of laser disk, I didn't want to collect the rest of the series on VHS.

Darrell Spice, Jr.

[link|http://home.houston.rr.com/spiceware/|SpiceWare] - We don't do Windows, it's too much of a chore

New NGE on DVD is apparantly vgood.
I don't have it on DVD because there were rumours about remasking some of the Kanji (ugh). I may change my mind (I have it on VHS, though). Unfortuntely, the Japanese NDE DVDs do not have an English soundtrack, which is very unusual.

Wade.

New I think they fixed this in the boxed set
I think they only did the Kanji overlay stuff on the first disk and redid that disk for the boxed set, but I'd have to consult my oracle for such things to be certain.
--
Chris Altmann
New It rocks.
And I like the kanji.

I don't have the boxed set yet. I don't see any reason to get it until someone permanently borrows the others from me (which tends to happen).
New Well, yes, I like the Kanji, too.
What I meant was that there were rumours it would be replaced by English where possible, unlike on the video (and broadcast versions) where it was merely subtitled. The dialogue in here suggests they found either that it was too hard or the fans objected :-)

Wade.

New I've seen LoGH before...
IMO: Incredibly boring, incredibly dumb. There is one tactical move that the so-called strategic genius makes that basically relies on the enemy thinking he's a tactical genius, so the incredibly stupid, suicidal action he's taking is actually some kind of incredibly smart move, and so they just sit there stunned instead of taking action. (The "Left Flank" stuff for those who've seen the film.)

Dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb. At least IMO.

The rest of them, though, I can't comment on. I am intrigued by Kare Kano (being a big shojo fan) and FLCL, as well as Excel Saga.
InThane - Now running Ashton rev 2.0
     Anime Expo 2002 - (altmann) - (8)
         Nice report. - (static) - (6)
             Aka: "Kare Kano" - (altmann)
             That does sound interesting - (SpiceWare) - (4)
                 NGE on DVD is apparantly vgood. - (static) - (3)
                     I think they fixed this in the boxed set - (altmann)
                     It rocks. - (Brandioch) - (1)
                         Well, yes, I like the Kanji, too. - (static)
         I've seen LoGH before... - (inthane-chan)

Bad format, or no disk in drive.
51 ms