IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 1 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Meh.
Generation Jones is a term for tail-end Boomers, born between 1954 and 1964, who felt disconnected from the experiences of older Boomers such as the Vietnam War and the hippie subculture.

Maybe because, er, the older Boomers were, I dunno, older?

I don't see the profundity of this arguing about "younger Boomers are not really Boomers" stuff.

A generation is a convenient grouping. Boomers was a grouping that made sense because it was larger than what came before. It doesn't mean that everyone was the same, or that people born in 1946 were the same as people born in 1960.

Everyone in the "Greatest Generation" wasn't a hero. Lots of the crap dumped on the Boomers should rightfully be dumped on them (Reagan, George Wallace, Barry Goldwater, etc.) instead, if we're going to dump on generations.

Everyone who shops at Target isn't the same.

Everyone who roots for Arsenal isn't the same.

Everyone who thinks that cilantro tastes like soap isn't the same.

Boomers is a convenient grouping in a particular context. That's it. That's all.

[/rant]

;-)

Cheers,
Scott.
New But what about...
... Boomers who root for Arsenal, shop at Target, and think that cilantro tastes like soap?
Regards,
-scott
Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.
New Cilantro tasting like soap is fixable.
Even some who claim to have the genetic defect that causes Cilantro to taste like soap say the fix works.

The fix is exposure (same as with chilis).

I have a copy of the first Thai cookbook written in English. The author was an exchange student in Thailand. She couldn't stand Cilantro, and asked for the food served to her to be 'No Cilantro!'. This horrified her native associates - but this was Thailand, they either didn't understand or refused go comply, so she got plenty of Cilantro. She testifies that a few months later she was ordering "With extra Cilantro".

There was another lady who ran a group Web site called "I Hate Cilantro!". Of course, for her diatribes she had to do a lot of research. Some time later she submitted her resignation to the group, explaining that, due to exposure, she had come to quite like Cilantro.

Cilantro was the most popular herb across Europe, but for some reason it was inexplicably supplanted by Parsley. By that time, European merchants had introduce Cilantro worldwide. It is still used in the Canary Islands (Spain) and somewhat in Italy.

In my early cooking days I was mystified by recipes calling for "Italian Parsley" and "Chinese Parsley", until I finally found out it was Cilantro. Today, those terms are no longer used.

Of course, due to our ever more mixed demographics here in the US, Cilantro is everywhere. The markets I shop at have big bins of it, which are renewed every few hours. England probably also has plenty due to Indian influence.
Expand Edited by Andrew Grygus Aug. 28, 2024, 07:07:29 PM EDT
New I did not know that. [/Carson] Thanks.
New Well, cilantro is in some Mexican food items.
Chipotle restaurants serve cilantro in salad parts.

My wife and I enjoy it! :)
Alex

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."

-- Isaac Asimov
New Well, yes . . .
. . the Spanish took Cilantro to the Canary Islands, Mexico, Central and South America, and the Philippines - before converting to Parsley. Cilantro is still the number one herb in those countries.

So, to fake "authenticity", you have to include Cilantro.

Many years ago my mother was amazed to see Indian people at Sunland Produce stuffing a couple of bags with Cilantro (which she didn't use as far as I know). Of course, for many uses you need quite a bundle of Cilantro, because it's thin and chops down to rather little.

Fortunately, except for some appearance critical uses, you can use a lot of the stems, which actually improves the overall taste. This was just recently "discovered" by "America's Test Kitchen". Of course, they have "discovered" other things I have been using for decades.

For Thai sauces and such, we can't get Cilantro Roots here, so we have to use the thicker stems as a "not quite right" substitute.
     I just realized Tim Walz is younger than me - (crazy) - (41)
         old and weird with a really weird running mate -NT - (boxley)
         Not X - (drook) - (30)
             Correct - (pwhysall) - (29)
                 Yeah I got the gen wrong - (crazy)
                 That re-definition pisses me off to no end. - (CRConrad) - (27)
                     ok boomer -NT - (pwhysall) - (4)
                         Ehh, don't harsh it - (crazy) - (2)
                             Generation Jones - (malraux) - (1)
                                 Interesting - (crazy)
                         You X-- eh, we! We, of course! -- We X-ers are soo predictable. -NT - (CRConrad)
                     Of course, I've got you all beat . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (2)
                         Yeah Dad, we knew that. - (CRConrad) - (1)
                             Re: Ashton - (malraux)
                     Eh? - (Another Scott) - (18)
                         1) Is it, really? 2) So when did the GIs start coming home? 3) IDGAF. - (CRConrad) - (17)
                             Heh... Look what I found. - (CRConrad) - (15)
                                 And that feels exactly right to me - (crazy) - (6)
                                     You have to be from the same generation as hippies to really hate hippies - (drook) - (5)
                                         You need a certain attitude and FU money to talk back - (crazy) - (2)
                                             Until ... - (drook) - (1)
                                                 No argument there - (crazy)
                                         I think the point was, we aren't, we're from the next one. Hippies were our uncles. -NT - (CRConrad) - (1)
                                             Hippies - (Andrew Grygus)
                                 But it's not the definition *now*, so you're going to have to accept your label, boomer. -NT - (pwhysall) - (1)
                                     Oh shadappayouface, you little emo goth millennial zoomer. - (CRConrad)
                                 Meh. - (Another Scott) - (5)
                                     But what about... - (malraux) - (4)
                                         Cilantro tasting like soap is fixable. - (Andrew Grygus) - (1)
                                             I did not know that. [/Carson] Thanks. -NT - (Another Scott)
                                         Well, cilantro is in some Mexican food items. - (a6l6e6x) - (1)
                                             Well, yes . . . - (Andrew Grygus)
                             Yes, the red in that chart should clearly start a year sooner -NT - (drook)
         You and Peter Zeihan. - (CRConrad)
         Joe Biden is younger than me! :) -NT - (a6l6e6x)
         30M - (malraux) - (4)
             til - (drook) - (2)
                 Oh yeah, you're doomed - (crazy) - (1)
                     Boomer smugness - (rcareaga)
             Re: 30M - (rcareaga)
         Just looked him up -- less than three weeks younger than I. - (CRConrad) - (1)
             Some guys have looked like they were 50 from the time they were 20 -NT - (drook)

I Who Be.
59 ms