IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New gut punch or relief?
I’m saddened. He’s a good man, and deserved better of his party and, it may be, of his country.

I didn’t watch the debate, not because I feared Biden would botch it, as apparently he did, but because I try to limit my exposure to the short-fingered vulgarian. From the accounts of friends who watched, though—and pretty much everything I’ve read—he fumbled badly. It didn’t seem to me as though a bad night should determine the outcome of the race, but as more and more Democrats piled on, as well, of course, as the “prestige press,” I had begun to fear that the campaign would not survive taking all that incoming fire from both sides plus the Fourth Estate.

That Biden has lost a step is apparent. It may even be that the White House staff has been pulling, to an obviously lesser extent, if so, an Edith Wilson. And I suppose there are grounds for concern as to how he might get through a second presidential term that would finish up just a couple of months past his eighty-fifth birthday. FDR, I have read, commenced a steep decline at the end of 1943, and thereafter was only “himself” for a couple of hours a day: any decisions that needed his input or sign-off had to be slotted into that golden interval. Of course, by that time he had assembled, so to say, a well-oiled administrative machine, a government that ran domestically and fought a global war abroad without his direct oversight. But Cæsarism and senescence ain’t a good mix, and we have now halved that risk.

So, Harris. I regarded her as a showboater before she was elected to the Senate; was presently surprised thereafter. She did not secure traction in a crowded field during the 2020 primary season, but this time out she has a thicker résumé and more, if you will, momentum, and while it is never prudent to underestimate the Democratic Party’s fractiousness and capacity for self-immolation, the prospect of a revanchist Trump Restoration ought to concentrate the collective mind wonderfully.

And I think the other side, after being drunk with post-debate triumphalism for three weeks, will fear her candidacy, I expect they’ll turn the racism and misogyny to eleven—but really, at this point that’s by way of preaching to the choir, innit?

cordially,
Expand Edited by rcareaga July 24, 2024, 11:35:25 AM EDT
New I didn't know her before she was VP
She spent a couple of years being obviously left in the back. She handled low profile stuff. She did the job she was told to do.

A bit of my reading just shows a very smart, accomplished person who would do a far better job of it than Trump so I back her wholeheartedly.

But a yellow dog would do the job better than Trump. So I've just become a yellow dog Democrat. I'd vote for a yellow dog over Trump. I understand what this phrase means now.

I think her smile is a fake rictus though. How many years was she the ultimate authority as a prosecuting attorney, I bet she frowned all the time, and then she had to go turn a smile on when she went into real politics? Also, in her position as a PR person for the president, she goes to all the graduation ceremonies and other stuff. She speaks in a sing-song voice like she's a kindergartner teacher speaking to small children.

I'd like to see her in court on attack mode. Hopefully she wouldn't speak to the jury that way.

Sure, I'll vote for her, but will I watch the speeches?
Expand Edited by crazy July 22, 2024, 02:07:41 PM EDT
New This makes me feel a bit better
https://youtu.be/K1R8NOtZMZc?si=Ta6mIj_ezxuHN2N7

Also, embedded within is a cute little video that they whipped up and are hoping goes viral. That starts at 10:30.
New Me neither.
I think her smile is a fake rictus though. How many years was she the ultimate authority as a prosecuting attorney, I bet she frowned all the time, and then she had to go turn a smile on when she went into real politics? Also, in her position as a PR person for the president, she goes to all the graduation ceremonies and other stuff. She speaks in a sing-song voice like she's a kindergartner teacher speaking to small children.
And the laughter is a bit of a problem too, IMO. She should try to be prosecutorial-serious more often, I think.

Here's another video, with some good advice for her (not that she'll see it, in all probability): The REAL Meaning of Biden Quitting - Vlad Vexler. The bit more specifically about Harris starts from about 5:40 in and goes to about 9:50. Before that he talks about Biden, his decision to stand down, and how he managed to avoid becoming King Lear; after Harris, it's about Putler and what Russia wants from the American election.

Vlad is pretty good overall, recommended. Altough he can occasionally become a bit rambly. His other channel (with the sometimes over-long live chats): Vlad Vexler Chat.
--

Christian R. Conrad
The Man Who Apparently Still Knows Fucking Everything

Mail: Same username as at the top left of this post, at iki.fi
Expand Edited by CRConrad July 24, 2024, 03:30:34 AM EDT
New she was a crappy prosecutor, went after backpage and was admonished by the judge
aside from that I see that the governor of kentucky is a candidate for vp. A southern democrat on the ticket will greatly help.
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of the experts" – Richard Feynman
New Her on the ticket is DEI, a Southern white guy is strategic
--

Drew
New dei is the new euphemism for the N work, getting slung around a lot
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of the experts" – Richard Feynman
New So is "DEI" a new(ish) acronym for "Affirmative Action", or what?
New Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
Not exactly AA but close enough for opponents to scream about it.
--

Drew
     Biden gone, gut punch or relief? - (crazy) - (20)
         Impeach the media -NT - (drook) - (3)
             Arerrrggfgffgff! - (crazy) - (2)
                 And the NYT - (drook) - (1)
                     Re: "She was derided." - (CRConrad)
         It took Biden a while to accept the evaluation of other Dems! - (a6l6e6x)
         gut punch or relief? - (rcareaga) - (8)
             I didn't know her before she was VP - (crazy) - (4)
                 This makes me feel a bit better - (crazy)
                 Me neither. - (CRConrad)
                 she was a crappy prosecutor, went after backpage and was admonished by the judge - (boxley) - (1)
                     Her on the ticket is DEI, a Southern white guy is strategic -NT - (drook)
             dei is the new euphemism for the N work, getting slung around a lot -NT - (boxley) - (2)
                 So is "DEI" a new(ish) acronym for "Affirmative Action", or what? -NT - (CRConrad) - (1)
                     Diversity, Equity and Inclusion - (drook)
         Saw some jubilant comments (on Youtube, I think), to the effect of... - (CRConrad)
         Getting ballots changed could be a problem. - (malraux) - (4)
             Best short take I saw on that - (drook) - (2)
                 Marc Elias? - (malraux) - (1)
                     That's the one -NT - (drook)
             not really almost all the states have a sept timeline, after the conventions -NT - (boxley)

> We didn't need to have you spouting Yoda quotes to know that you're sad... but thanks for the extra effort...
72 ms