IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New After a certain point it'll just start making stuff up.
But you won't know where that point it.
New Which is exactly what we do
When we run out of actual information we throw ideas out there. Our ideas are rarely anything more than random crap based on our historical knowledge of the world. Some of our ideas are exceptionally stupid and some are brilliant. There needs to be a boundary checker which is exactly what the current chat GPT strawberry project is about.

As far as I'm concerned, it's perfectly reasonable that when you run out of things that you know about when you are asked a question to make crap up. It's okay. They haven't put the boundary checker in yet. That's what they're doing now.

That's exactly what our caveman brain was like. We could observe the world around us and we could get an idea that the wind is our ancient spirits. We made shit up. It took time. Right now it's moving from caveman to Middle ages. The corrective real world constraints will start to be applied. The ability to actually do research to see if something is real will be applied. In a year it'll be there. It will be able to tell truth from fiction, and have an idea of the middle ground of human existence somewhere in between.

And then someone will have to tell it that some people actually believe religion is real. It is going to be very confused.
New Yeah, but while any random person's crackpot ideas most likely...
...won't be presented in court by a credible-seeming law enforcement officer to be used against you as "evidence", Magic Zoom very well might be -- and in all probability, long before any "corrective real world constraints" have been figured out, let alone started to be applied. (Personally, I'd rather wait until they've finished being applied...)

I have a hard time understanding why you're so rah-rah enthusiastic about all this shit.
--

Christian R. Conrad
The Man Who Apparently Still Knows Fucking Everything

Mail: Same username as at the top left of this post, at iki.fi
New I'm sorry, the technology thrills me and I have a goal
To start off the last time I played with technology in any hardcore fashion was about 16 years ago. In the preceding 10 years I spent a couple of million on hardware, a few hundred thousand on software and had a hell of a run.

Right now I see eight core CPU mame box toys for 60 bucks which include 4 gig memory and 256 GB ssd disc. I could buy a few dozen of those or the equivalent others and rack and stack them for a tiny bit of money. I see terabyte ssds for 100 bucks or so. I see gigabit network switches for less than 100.

I see 10 GB fiber connections for a few bucks. I see the ability to cluster many of these things together with hardware that used to cost $100,000 just for the switch to do it for a few hundred.

It's a hardware jump time. There are generational pushes that demand an incredible jump in hardware. Right now this is AI copilot. In order to be certified for AI co-pilot, you'll have to have a certain number TOPs. Trillions of instructions per second and these instructions must be matrix math. I believe it's 30 tops minimum, but more is better. This is AI usable coprocessor such as a decent graphics card, but if it wasn't Nvidia it was a toss-up whether or not the AI stuff would work, or at least be accelerated enough to be usable.

There are a whole bunch of chips in the process of being released from AMD and Intel, their cornerstone CPU chips, which also include both the graphical processor and additional neural processors.

So there's about to be a jump in the baseline of what is acceptable in CPUs very soon and it will push the price down again since these are being released at a far lower price than the previous generation and you don't need a co-processor card for most of what you want to do, and in my case I'm happy to create a cluster of them.

For a couple of grand I could implement a computer room with many 100 times the CPU and a thousand times the disc in quantity and in speed then the combined total of anything I've ever built. In a single rack with a tiny bit of power run by a tiny UPS.

This blows me away. What can I do with this power?

I can take a look at the AI research and see what it takes to allow my ego to live forever, even if I won't.

I can download a model or two or many. I can test and train against my information. I can feed it every email I ever wrote, at least those in my personal account. I can feed it most of the programs I've written. I can point it to every web post I ever made.

I can then say: as me, how would you answer this question? How would you code this program?

At that point I should be able to argue with myself as opposed to how I argue with myself right now.

I'm probably going to die before my wife. She'll get to say whether or not I leave this behind to for her to talk to. But I'd like it to be an option.
Expand Edited by crazy July 15, 2024, 01:13:57 PM EDT
Expand Edited by crazy July 15, 2024, 01:24:00 PM EDT
     Magic zoom is now here - (crazy) - (14)
         After a certain point it'll just start making stuff up. - (static) - (3)
             Which is exactly what we do - (crazy) - (2)
                 Yeah, but while any random person's crackpot ideas most likely... - (CRConrad) - (1)
                     I'm sorry, the technology thrills me and I have a goal - (crazy)
         I haven't watched the video. - (Another Scott) - (9)
             I told you the exact spot to go - (crazy) - (8)
                 Video unavailable This video has been removed by the uploader - (Another Scott) - (7)
                     I apologize, I will attempt to track down exactly what I'm talking about - (crazy) - (6)
                         I think since we don't know its inner workings, we can -never- really trust it. - (CRConrad) - (5)
                             Interesting fact: no-one knows in detail exactly how they work - (pwhysall) - (3)
                                 Like this is something new? - (crazy) - (2)
                                     Everything people are afraid about with AI is what makes them more human - (drook) - (1)
                                         Good points. - (crazy)
                             Ego much? You? - (crazy)

Most of what passes for 'humor' in Murica '02.
48 ms