The Balfour decision.

Lieutenant Chami taught me about it when I was a little kid.

Note: that's CH is pronounced as if you are clearing your throat. There is no C and there is no H. Imagine you are hissing at a cat, but you are doing it in the base range in a short burst in the back of your throat.

I was born in '63. So, this was preschool.

We drew a lot in preschool. We drew a lot of map in those days. We drew a lot of changing borders.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Six-Day_War

We learned about living on the kibbutz and we learned about war tactics.

Lieutenant Chami taught me about the Balfour decision. The British didn't want us so they dumped us in a patch of sand that we were supposed to die in. And we didn't.

That of course was her personal position on it. I know there's a hell of a lot more that goes into it than that.

Did you notice that lieutenant Chami was a woman? Did you assume otherwise based on the bit of information I threw out? Most people assume male until I say her or she and they do a double take when I talk about Lieutenant Chami.

The first of many incredibly tough women I've met in my life so I never had typical male chauvinistic attitude and it's probably based on her.

Add Dr. Ruth to the list. Didn't meet her but now I have a hint of the toughness.

Lieutenant Chami knew many ways to kill people and she probably had. She didn't talk about that stuff to the little kids. But she did go into a far away stare mode occasionally when the conversation let down to personal experience in that area and then quickly changed the subject.