IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Whither the Tories?
That’s an interesting question.

There’s essentially no senior talent left. What wasn’t purged by Johnson prior to the 2019 election lost their seats. If Sunak doesn’t resign, the 1922 committee will get him. And then what? The Tories are ordering from a menu essentially consisting of:

James Cleverly: nominative undeterminism in action.
Kemi Badenoch: the right winger’s right-winger. Problem for the Tory membership* (not the parliamentary party) though - she’s a common, black, woman.
Suella Braverman: thick as mince, and the nickname “Cruella” is well-earned. Vicious and reactionary. Again, being a brown woman is problematic for the
Priti Patel: Like Braverman, a brown woman with a mean streak a mile wide

But in some ways selecting the leader from a list of the above and people like the above is the least of their worries. Losing 200 MPs means a huge loss of ground game, and it’s ground game that wins elections, even in the social media age. Reform UK and the Liberal Democrats are nipping at their heels from the right and the left wings respectively. They’re not the automatic party of the right anymore, and that’s a huge problem for them.
*The party members have a big hand in selecting the leader, and they skew much older, much more racist, and much more misogynist than the parliamentary party (i.e. the MPs in the Commons)
New I gather Mordaunt is out of the running because she was un-elected from the Commons?
Disregarding the speculations about bestowing a peerage on her to get her in that way -- if that disqualifies the Sword Chick, then surely it disqualifies Cruella as well?
--

Christian R. Conrad
The Man Who Apparently Still Knows Fucking Everything

Mail: Same username as at the top left of this post, at iki.fi
New Yes
Braverman won her seat.
New Oh? Too bad. Must have misundertstood, I got the impression she was out too.
New “not the automatic party of the right”
Is there, do you think, a possibility that the Tories might find themselves at some point sucked into an engorged Reform UK under the execrable Farange, as the old GOP here has been devoured by Trump?

curd-ially,
New It will be messy
Hard to call at this stage. Farage has said he wants to destroy the Tories, the Tories have said they want nothing to do with Farage.

But they’re all lying liars who lie, so.
     Blowout in Britain - (rcareaga) - (21)
         What a wonderful evening - (pwhysall) - (20)
             Whither the Tories? - (pwhysall) - (5)
                 I gather Mordaunt is out of the running because she was un-elected from the Commons? - (CRConrad) - (2)
                     Yes - (pwhysall) - (1)
                         Oh? Too bad. Must have misundertstood, I got the impression she was out too. -NT - (CRConrad)
                 “not the automatic party of the right” - (rcareaga) - (1)
                     It will be messy - (pwhysall)
             Naah, he never did. - (CRConrad)
             Prime Minister Keir Starmer made an impressive victory speech. -NT - (a6l6e6x) - (2)
                 Yes, it was a good speech - (pwhysall) - (1)
                     He's already doing some good things. I'll need to adjust my cynicism about him. - (Another Scott)
             The results, geovisualised: - (pwhysall) - (9)
                 About population density - (drook) - (8)
                     Population density equals service possibility - (crazy) - (7)
                         Yeah, parking is a bloodsport downtown -NT - (drook) - (6)
                             Downtown? Hah! - (crazy) - (5)
                                 You people used "turning lanes" for parking - (drook) - (4)
                                     Oi. This is the UK Genny Lec thread, not the "my neighbourhood was worse than yours" thread. -NT - (pwhysall) - (3)
                                         So you're asking Scott to re-implment "reply as new topic"? -NT - (drook) - (2)
                                             As any softie kno, re-implementation is the best implementation -NT - (pwhysall)
                                             Reimplementation is too dangerous - (malraux)

And then I went into computers...
49 ms