IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Debate- it was bad
Is it salvageable?

That was a sad, confused old man. That was like watching my father-in-law. Gets confused and wondering what the hell he was thinking. Sure, occasionally he could say an intelligent thing but for the most part no.

There is no way I could sit next to a trump supporter and say Biden isn't losing it. Trump's a scumbag who has never had it but that doesn't matter to them. They don't believe any of the Biden administration accomplishments and sometimes actively oppose them.

Those few in the middle that actually have to make the decision? What the hell are they thinking after watching that?

Like Jon Stewart, I'd say it's time to call her a real estate agent in New Zealand, but I'm a felon and they don't want me.
New Biden has a stutter and gets tongue-tied at times.
He's been that way for decades. He also apparently had a head cold.

He was fine.

Compare TCFFG (the convicted felon former guy) from September 2001 (4:38) with the guy that night (and the previous 5 years). He was a monster back then (90% worried about the buildings rather than the people), but he could string a spontaneous coherent linear English sentence together. He didn't come close to doing that on Thursday.

Remember earlier first debates - Reagan was doomed in 1984; Obama was doomed in 2012.

The stock markets didn't freakout on Friday. Black and Hispanic voters didn't freakout on Friday.

Eyes on the prizes.

Cheers,
Scott.
New I was expecting this
My original title was: hey AS, tell me something that will save this!

I know the next day he was incredible. How come he couldn't bring that logic and energy to the debate?
New :-) I try to be consistent (and not in the hobgoblin sense!!)
Even if Biden had done great - like he did at the SotU - the MSM would have found things to complain about because that's what they do to keep people "engaged".

I notice that I'm hearing lots more discussion of "Black jobs" and "everyone wanted Roe gone" and "post-birth abortion" and "I never said 'suckers and losers'" and "I never slept with a port star" and several other things. He's not gaining with the undecideds that way.

https://nitter.poast.org/eclecticbrotha is worth checking occasionally.

Eyes on the prizes.

Cheers,
Scott.
New Zeihan's take
https://youtu.be/vtg4pf5dsKs?si=pC0W5BCdnahJ6t4B

Senior home showdown: Delusional Biden versus Demented Trump

Jet lag, cold, stutter, it doesn't matter. He's been getting worse for the last couple of years. He's crossed the downhill threshold.

On the other hand, Trump's just an evil bastard to start off with and you shouldn't vote for him. Adding his dementia that's getting worse and he's an angry, evil bastard.

Final answer: it doesn't matter. There's more Democrats than Republicans and as long as the independents are disgusted enough not to even vote, Biden will win.

For some reason he thinks that's what's going to happen.

Ps: it is actually possible to replace Biden even though he's got all the votes he needs to win the convention if he decides not to take it and then it becomes an open convention.

So does Kamala get to run or will they grab a governor to shove in as a replacement?
New The candidates are Biden and Trump.
Those are the choices.

Johnny Unbeatable isn't on the ballot.

If in some alternative universe Biden were dropped from the ticket, there would be immediate lawsuits about all the millions of primary voters being disenfranchised.

The point of this freakout isn't to get Biden off the ballot. Just like the point of the freakout about the Killer Rabbit or The Sigh or Kerry Windsurfing or Hillary's Cough or Butter Emails isn't about those things.

They do the same kinds of things to any Democratic candidate.

You cannot "win" a bad-faith argument. It's a category error.

The point of all this freakout is to drive down Democratic turnout so that the GQP wins up and down the ballot. They know they cannot win free and fair elections, so they put their thumb on the scales.

We've known this stuff for decades, but apparently have to keep relearning it.

Eyes on the prizes.

Cheers,
Scott.
New This
--

Drew
New New 30s Biden ad.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-gY2e4j1jg

Spread the word.

Cheers,
Scott.
New PZ seems to be getting a bit deranged himself...
Whoops, "de-ranged" -- an end to all the wilderness hiking?

Anyway,
Delusional Biden versus Demented Trump
He said it the other way around.

I agree with all the commenters who said that was the wrong way.

(And no, I don't buy the "it was a joke!" responses.)
--

Christian R. Conrad
The Man Who Apparently Still Knows Fucking Everything

Mail: Same username as at the top left of this post, at iki.fi
New That was me typing it in backwards
And maybe I'm a bit sensitive concerning old men.

I watched my father-in-law crash over the last couple of years. He went from a usually reasonable, usually vibrant old guy. And then he went f****** crazy. He's a couple years older than Biden.

For every president that actually cared about the job, the job is incredibly aging to start off with. Except for Trump, of course. Trump couldn't give a s***.

So Biden started at a serious disadvantage in remaining years, energy, and mental acuity. Don't bother saying but Trump's worse, the people who vote for Trump for the most part don't care or don't believe. And then he got crushed by the weight of the office for the last 4 years, while simultaneously aging perfectly naturally.

And all of us got our hopes on this rapidly declining old man. Our expectations are unreasonable.

I'm just going to sit here and b**** about it. I'm not going to go out and knock doors. People out here get shot that way. Of course I will vote.

Maybe I gave the slightest push to a next door neighbor. She's a very old lady who hates the goddamn left wing. Of course she voted for Trump. Twice. She plans on moving to white bread state in fly over country as soon as she can. She's been saying that for a couple of years though.

I initially thought she was a typical right-wing Fox viewer. Nope. She doesn't watch television. She doesn't listen to radio, at least not talk radio. She comes up to my chin and she is tough as nails. She does her own major yard work including chopping down trees.

She didn't have an opinion on Jan 6th because she didn't even know about it. After hearing about it, she of course discounted most of what I had to say because it was so unbelievable.

A few days back I told her I was worried about throwing my vote away because she voted and she said don't worry, she wasn't voting for Trump. He's a piece of s***.

Huh?

A reason for a glimmer of hope.
New Yeah, I know, you got it right; my point was Zeihan got it wrong.
New What a choice
Ancient bloke with obvious cognitive decline

or

Ancient bloke with obvious cognitive decline, and who is orange.
New Well, one of them is a felon a few dozen times over as well...
Regards,
-scott
Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.
New Heh.
Philadelphia Inquirer Opinion:

To serve his country, Donald Trump should leave the race | Editorial

Biden had a horrible night Thursday. But the debate about the debate is misplaced. The only person who should withdraw from the race is Trump.

Worth a click.

Fingers crossed for the UK elections on the 4th. You folks need to find a way to climb out of the hole the Tories and Brexit put the UK in...

Cheers,
Scott.
New Seems doubtful they will -- I gather Starmer is all for continuing "austerity". :-(
New You gather wrong
But he can’t do all that much, because the economy is fucked (although slowly un-fucking).

Linky-poo
Expand Edited by pwhysall July 2, 2024, 01:48:13 AM EDT
New Yeah no, that's what I meant. AIUI, that's self-contradictory.
Not raising taxes means no more funds; no more funds means no increased expenditure; no increased expenditure means continued (WTF does he mean, "no return to"?) austerity. Like, "without raising taxes or making spending cuts"?!? Isn't the problem that spending is far too fucking low compared to what it needs to be, so to escape austerity he must increase spending?

So what I had understood was that he has to either raise taxes or continue austerity; no to both is logically impossible. (Or, OK: Borrow money? But then that's just deferring the increased taxes to the future, so feels like a bit of a fib for marketing.)

But yeah yeah, I'll go read your linky-blah now. (Even though it is Sky News.)
--

Christian R. Conrad

New Yeah, I noticed, so thanks.
(Google found it anyway.)

Naah, didn't change my mind much -- I still think he's gonna hafta raise taxes. Perhaps not all that big a problem, though:

A) People will be understanding, especially if he does it the right way around.

B) The right way to do it is to start by reversing the tax breaks the Tories gave their (ultra-)rich cronies.
--

Christian R. Conrad

New "I'm not raising taxes, I'm cancelling a giveaway to the rich" is a hard argument politically
But only because the press will be all over it, much more so than when the giveaway was passed.
--

Drew
     Debate- it was bad - (crazy) - (19)
         Biden has a stutter and gets tongue-tied at times. - (Another Scott) - (9)
             I was expecting this - (crazy) - (1)
                 :-) I try to be consistent (and not in the hobgoblin sense!!) - (Another Scott)
             Zeihan's take - (crazy) - (6)
                 The candidates are Biden and Trump. - (Another Scott) - (1)
                     This -NT - (drook)
                 New 30s Biden ad. - (Another Scott)
                 PZ seems to be getting a bit deranged himself... - (CRConrad) - (2)
                     That was me typing it in backwards - (crazy) - (1)
                         Yeah, I know, you got it right; my point was Zeihan got it wrong. -NT - (CRConrad)
         What a choice - (pwhysall) - (8)
             Well, one of them is a felon a few dozen times over as well... -NT - (malraux)
             Heh. - (Another Scott) - (6)
                 Seems doubtful they will -- I gather Starmer is all for continuing "austerity". :-( -NT - (CRConrad) - (5)
                     You gather wrong - (pwhysall) - (4)
                         Yeah no, that's what I meant. AIUI, that's self-contradictory. - (CRConrad) - (3)
                             Bah, link broke - (pwhysall) - (2)
                                 Yeah, I noticed, so thanks. - (CRConrad) - (1)
                                     "I'm not raising taxes, I'm cancelling a giveaway to the rich" is a hard argument politically - (drook)

There aren't many trolls in North Korea, either.
251 ms