IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New www.pcpartpicker.com
New Thanks but no
I will never build my own PC again. And right now it looks like the difference between combined CPU GPU NPU with 32 GB of RAM on a single chip is the way to go.

I really don't care about the GPU with the exception of how it can be used as an AI accelerator. So if there's an npu sitting there to be used then that's probably the way to go. Right now the npus I'm looking at are rated at 16 TOPs. But the ones coming out in 2 months will have 45 .. 50 range.

So, if I can wait until September...

It looks like the Strix Halo might be shipping in quantity at that point. Which in turn says I should wait for that. Especially since it looks like they are embedding larger quantities of RAM on the chip. It looks like there's 128 GB model. I want I want I want.
New Eh, just drop £20/mo on a ChatGPT sub
You can have that in like seconds.

There’s even a desktop app for the Mac.
New +1
This stuff is changing rapidly. The market seems to be very frothy and who knows what will happen in 6 months with nVidia and all the rest.

If I were starting out, I would play around with what's available online and figure out what needs to be done locally and then start picking out parts.

https://www.reddit.com/r/LocalLLaMA/comments/1ajijk8/hardware_guide/

https://www.theregister.com/2024/03/17/ai_pc_local_llm/

Etc.

Cheers,
Scott.
New Yep and nope
There are two halves of the AI interaction I want. There's the back end on the web immense resources applied to your queries that is always changing and there's no way you can run it at home.

I think anthropic Claude is the best at the moment but I'm sure they will leap frog each other so I will probably have multiple accounts depending on who's doing what.

I'd probably be trying different co-pilots from the different services as well as the many downloadable ones.

But is that account the best use of 99.9% of what I'd want an AI to do at home? No.

There's the other part that I want 100% running at home. This part will be fed all my documentation and all my pictures and all my email etc etc etc. This one will be fed all my stories. This part will be monitoring multiple cameras and listening to multiple microphones.

Someday I would like to instruct the AI the following:

As Me: answer this certain question that is guaranteed to trigger a discussion and possibly an argument with M

And then on a different instance of this same ai that has been listening to me and M talk for years:

As M: take the other side of the argument

This will serve multiple purposes. This will test out if it really understands our personalities and point of view. At that point I can put it in a time capsule and when the computers are powerful enough we can come back in an AI form and live forever together.

Of course that won't happen but that seems to be the start of a interesting sci-fi/ fantasy novel.

This part would be a privacy nightmare if it ended up on somebody's desk at Google or openai or anthropic.

So this stuff gets run at home behind the firewall. And the firewall better be watching for this AI doing stuff I don't want it doing.

You may laugh at that, but the Chinese have released a coding AI that is rated very high and I might be stupid enough to try it. Free and downloadable and almost as good as Claude.

Which means I better have a really good firewall watching it. Good thing those devices are cheap.

We have various PC builders on Craigslist that can put together something for me. The following looks like a good start:

https://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/sys/d/tacoma-geforce-rtx-3070-gaming-pc/7760094617.html

I sent him an email to see how much memory he can put in it and does he deliver to me?

The 3070 looks like the best card out right now as far as price performance is concerned. Lots of cuda and other cores to work with. I'm trying to keep it under $1,000 and this is fitting the bill.
New So basically you want AI to outsource... Arguing with your wife?
Isn't that

A) cheating?, and

B) futile, when she finds out and gets a bigger one? :-D
--

Christian R. Conrad
The Man Who Apparently Still Knows Fucking Everything

Mail: Same username as at the top left of this post, at iki.fi
New That won't be you
It might feel like you to people who interact with it, but the you that's talking now would be well and truly dead. How does it benefit this you for there to be a different you once you're gone?
--

Drew
New Just to be able to say this me versus a different me sounds fun!
Of course it won't be me. But I told the boy I wouldn't write a book. I didn't say I wouldn't leave behind an AI of myself. Imagine my AI calling him up and lecturing him on his life choices.
New Uhh ...
... we can come back in an AI form and live forever together.

Kind of sounds like that's how you're thinking.
--

Drew
New And I immediately said that's a fantasy
     More hardware but AI - (crazy) - (13)
         www.pcpartpicker.com -NT - (pwhysall) - (9)
             Thanks but no - (crazy) - (8)
                 Eh, just drop £20/mo on a ChatGPT sub - (pwhysall) - (7)
                     +1 - (Another Scott)
                     Yep and nope - (crazy) - (5)
                         So basically you want AI to outsource... Arguing with your wife? - (CRConrad)
                         That won't be you - (drook) - (3)
                             Just to be able to say this me versus a different me sounds fun! - (crazy) - (2)
                                 Uhh ... - (drook) - (1)
                                     And I immediately said that's a fantasy -NT - (crazy)
         Ask one of the LLMs to specify a configuration to run LLMs -NT - (drook) - (2)
             And have it lie to me? - (crazy) - (1)
                 Doesn't that mean just drop the whole idea? - (CRConrad)

Excuse me while I go throw up.
70 ms