IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 1 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Greetings from Ubuntu 24.04 on X1 (from USB stick)
There was a few days delay in receiving the package. I got it yesterday.

It's a very nice machine. The charger is USB-C so that's not a worry. Yay!

Unfortunately, it looks like they sold the one I wanted to someone else and that's probably what caused the delay. I guess I pushed the "buy" button a tiny bit too slowly. :-/ The one I ordered had 32 GB/256 GB while this one has 16 GB/1 TB. The one they sent actually costs a little more, so it's Ok, but annoying.

I started it up and spent a couple of hours updating winders and customizing the settings and remembering how to set up local accounts without a MS login. Why oh why is the keyboard repeat delay so long, and why is it nearly impossible to find the old settings to change? Why oh why do they default to hiding the 2 pixel wide scroll bars? Why oh why do they default to 150% magnification? Why is it nearly impossible to find where to define the NTP server? And on and on.

So annoying. Grr...

Anyway, the X1 is a pretty machine, nice keyboard, fans haven't been an issue, nice and light, and works well. Keyboard backlight widget works as it should (can keep the light on all the time!!11)

Everything seems fine in Ubuntu, once I figured out how to get into the BIOS settings and turn off Secure Boot. I've seen some comments about some version of Ubuntu working fine, but then having issues on updating the kernel. That is yet another reason for me not to worry about upgrading from 24.04 - I have bad memories of doing Linux updates in the ancient past and breaking the graphics driver and I really don't have time to figure out how to fix a broken install... I'll do the normal updates, of course.

I'll probably remove the 1TB winders SSD and install the new 4TB drive and install Ubuntu on it later today.

Recommended - so far.

Cheers,
Scott.
New Shame they upgraded what you're tossing and downgraded what you're keeping
--

Drew
     MBPro M3 Pro? - (Another Scott) - (22)
         I've had an M1 Pro since 2021 - (malraux) - (3)
             Thanks. I appreciate it. -NT - (Another Scott)
             Me Two - (pwhysall)
             If it’s just for office work, 16GB is ample - (pwhysall)
         Re: MBPro M3 Pro? - (pwhysall) - (10)
             Re: MBPro M3 Pro? - (malraux) - (9)
                 eqMac - (pwhysall) - (8)
                     Thanks - (malraux) - (7)
                         Window management was one thing I thought Apple had solved - (drook) - (6)
                             Nope - (pwhysall) - (5)
                                 So how was mine doing that? I never set anything up, it just worked -NT - (drook) - (4)
                                     You clearly have more stylish hair -NT - (pwhysall) - (2)
                                         [ snort! ] -NT - (Another Scott)
                                         I do -NT - (drook)
                                     Apple keep tinkering with it. - (static)
         Thanks all. Decided against it. - (Another Scott) - (6)
             Beware the power connector - (scoenye) - (3)
                 Oooh. I didn't know that. Thanks for the warning! -NT - (Another Scott)
                 That's what you call a design error! -NT - (a6l6e6x)
                 A tech philanthropist should buy the MagSafe patent and free it -NT - (drook)
             Greetings from Ubuntu 24.04 on X1 (from USB stick) - (Another Scott) - (1)
                 Shame they upgraded what you're tossing and downgraded what you're keeping -NT - (drook)

Anytime I tell a client that "Oh no, those computers just change settings and delete things" instead of "You're a moron, and should be entrusted with nothing more complex than a crayon and an Etch-A-Sketch.", I'm lying.
65 ms