IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 1 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Re: MBPro M3 Pro?
On using Mac for Office work:

1. Note that Windows Office and Mac Office are very nearly but not quite feature-parity. Outlook in particular is weak on Mac. I live and breathe Outlook because my job is customer-oriented, and they all use Outlook (because Office is the standard for small businesses outside the tech sector)

2. Your Mac will shit “__MacOSX” folders into every zip file you make, and there’s no way to turn this off.

3. Fonts are, like on Windows, a complete shitshow. I hope you like seeing all those fonts for encodings and scripts outside your locale, because, like Windows, the feature to hide them DUNT FUCKIN WERK.

4. Without external assistance, things like controlling the volume on an HDMI device, splitting the scroll direction between mouse and trackpad, and a smorgasbord of other tiny things are all very hit/miss.

5. Window management on straight macOS is crap. Get Rectangle or Magnet to fix this.

Overall, it’s pretty seamless. No OS is free from annoyances and macOS will find ways to annoy you where Windows did not, and vice versa.

ETA: if you use SharePoint, use Safari. I have found that Chrome makes you re-authenticate a lot, Edge makes you re-authenticate a bit, and Arc makes you re-authenticate ALL THE FUCKING TIME. Safari just lets me do my work.
Expand Edited by pwhysall June 5, 2024, 04:59:26 AM EDT
Expand Edited by pwhysall June 5, 2024, 06:12:51 AM EDT
New Re: MBPro M3 Pro?
Another vote for Rectangle.

What do you use for HDMI volume? This has recently become an Annoyance for me.
Regards,
-scott
Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.
New eqMac
https://eqmac.app (heh lol the forum doesn’t think that’s a URL, god that’s so 2015 😀)

So the thing with HDMI volume is really fucking annoying because macOS can control some devices, but not others. eqMac is the only tool I found to solve this problem.

Windows handles sound volumes differently and can always control the volume.

Source: my Mac and PC share the exact same monitor.
New Thanks
I just started using an A/B for my monitor between the Mac and the gaming PC, and having the external speakers plugged into the monitor results in a suboptimal volume range experience...

Probably the biggest annoyance I have is macOS rearranging my windows across the various monitors when it sleeps. Everything gets shuffled more or less onto the main monitor, which isn't the laptop's built-in. Every morning starts with "ok, this one goes on the left monitor, this goes on the right, hoopdee doo ain't this fun".
Regards,
-scott
Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.
New Window management was one thing I thought Apple had solved
Used a MBP at a previous gig. I was on and off the dock and into other meeting rooms constantly, and it always remembered the setup for each location. Has this gone backwards, or was I accidentally recreating the one use case they had built it for?
--

Drew
New Nope
Raw macOS has basically no window management.

I have Magnet, so I have proper 21st century window management.

My laptop remembers where windows go between internal and external monitors across sleep sessions. Scott’s does not, and I think it’s down to either his choice of wallpaper, his locale settings, or his foppish haircut.
New So how was mine doing that? I never set anything up, it just worked
--

Drew
New You clearly have more stylish hair
New [ snort! ]
New I do
--

Drew
New Apple keep tinkering with it.
I've had a work MacBook Pro since about Mavericks (I think). Some versions were good at remembering where app windows should be, other versions would just forget.

I guess it gets pretty complicated when trying to cater for all the different scenarios people want and I bet some probably conflict. I suspect apps themselves can be involved in how the OS remembers where their windows were, too, but I don't actually know.

Wade.
     MBPro M3 Pro? - (Another Scott) - (22)
         I've had an M1 Pro since 2021 - (malraux) - (3)
             Thanks. I appreciate it. -NT - (Another Scott)
             Me Two - (pwhysall)
             If it’s just for office work, 16GB is ample - (pwhysall)
         Re: MBPro M3 Pro? - (pwhysall) - (10)
             Re: MBPro M3 Pro? - (malraux) - (9)
                 eqMac - (pwhysall) - (8)
                     Thanks - (malraux) - (7)
                         Window management was one thing I thought Apple had solved - (drook) - (6)
                             Nope - (pwhysall) - (5)
                                 So how was mine doing that? I never set anything up, it just worked -NT - (drook) - (4)
                                     You clearly have more stylish hair -NT - (pwhysall) - (2)
                                         [ snort! ] -NT - (Another Scott)
                                         I do -NT - (drook)
                                     Apple keep tinkering with it. - (static)
         Thanks all. Decided against it. - (Another Scott) - (6)
             Beware the power connector - (scoenye) - (3)
                 Oooh. I didn't know that. Thanks for the warning! -NT - (Another Scott)
                 That's what you call a design error! -NT - (a6l6e6x)
                 A tech philanthropist should buy the MagSafe patent and free it -NT - (drook)
             Greetings from Ubuntu 24.04 on X1 (from USB stick) - (Another Scott) - (1)
                 Shame they upgraded what you're tossing and downgraded what you're keeping -NT - (drook)

Most of what passes for 'humor' in Murica '02.
65 ms